close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

United States?

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by sum-dum-guy, Dec 17, 2012.

1. sum-dum-guy

sum-dum-guy

Feb 3, 2007
    Do you think the United States will ever really be a UNITED states again?

Or is the solution a peaceful separation? The divide seems so deep and the politics are so divisive, it seems insurmountable. It is no longer even logical and rational. The believers on both sides are often true believers, too, unable or unwilling to see the opposing side's argument.

Liberals and conservatives see things so differently, it is like they are from different planets and speak different languages. Finding common ground seems less and less likely. In fact, most people on both sides are digging in their heels more and more.

So what will be the conclusion from all this? Sometimes I think the only way to unite again is for there to be a common enemy, like in the aftermath of 9/11. But God save us from such a thing, I pray.

2. PaulMason

PaulMason

Feb 10, 2010
    Ask the question from a different point of view - what is the purpose of the states?

If all the state government's responsibilities were handled by the Federal Government - would anyone notice?

3. Ruble Noon

Ruble Noon "Cracker"

Feb 18, 2009
    Flip a coin and split it along the Mississippi River, dumb assed liberals, progressives and statists on one side and the rest of us on the other.

4. philipk

philipk

Mar 12, 2000
    NE Ohio
    It was tried once and didn't work.

Look at the Liberal enclaves.

States
    MA with Boston
    CT with Hartford
    NY with NYC
    RI with Providence
    WA with Seattle

Then add the Liberal cities with Conservative states.
    DC
    Richmond
    Atlanta
    West Palm Beach
    Miami
    Tampa
    New Orleans
    Austin
    Santa Fe
    Denver
    Chicago
    Cleveland
    Milwaukee
    Minneapolis
    San Diago
    LA
    San Francisco
    and my others.

What is left? Where are the conservatives going to get their capital? Where is the industry?

Just like from "Gone with the Wind"

5. jeanderson

jeanderson Toga!... Toga! Platinum Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Ohio
    No question that this nation is more divided than ever. Doubt we'd ever literally split. The only notable geographical split I see is between the cities (liberal) and rural areas (conservative).

6. BobbyS

BobbyS Truth always sounds like lies to a sinner

Feb 14, 2010
    Boonies New Mexico
    Down the road we may need a new flag. One with a big red star on it.

7. Liberals don't last long once the easy money runs out. They either become conservative or a casualty.

8. barbedwiresmile

barbedwiresmile Unreconstructed

Feb 3, 2008
    Dixie
    We were once "These United States". "The" United States, post-1860's, leaves no real purpose for state's. We don't really have state's, we have Federal Administrative Districts. And we don't have governors, we have Gauleiters.

9. sum-dum-guy

sum-dum-guy

Feb 3, 2007
    I honestly wonder if there are people on both sides that would be happier if there were an amicable split. Until the liberal portion collapses when they run out of people to tax and they realize money does not grow on trees

It would be like a Grand Experiment...which side will prosper?

10. barbedwiresmile

barbedwiresmile Unreconstructed

Feb 3, 2008
    Dixie
    Side note: f'ing autocorrect for all my apostrophes above...
    ( ie: "state's" )

11. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Apr 4, 2006
    minnesota
    Years ago a popular figure stated how easy it is to change two letters and make this the Untied States. We should be careful.

12. MoCop

MoCop

Jan 2, 2005
    Missouri
    In my opinion, we are a divided nation and it will only get worse with the leadership we have at the helm. That is what our current administration wants. To divide us is to conquer us. And they are dividing us each time something "huge" like this tragedy in Ct happens. They use their media to force their diatribe down our throats and play on the emotions of the ignorant while cloaking their true agendas as being "for the common good" or "for the children" and the sheeple (and yes there are sadly more of them these days then us) will take whatever the big brother government doles out because the sheep sold their souls for free things long ago and while doing so, forgot how to fend for themselves. Sounds like a Glenn Beck conspiracy, I know, but we are being divided and God help this Country.

13. sum-dum-guy

sum-dum-guy

Feb 3, 2007

This is what I fear.

I think this is what they want. Divided we fall...

14. Kablam

Kablam

Jan 12, 2005
    "Gauleiters" I had to look that one up. Learned something. Thanks BWS. :wavey:

15. PaulMason

PaulMason

Feb 10, 2010
    Correct answer!

16. It has been said that the Civil War settled the states rights issue...............it only forcibly ended the debate...........the issue has still not been settled for anybody that can read.

17. Chronos

Chronos

Nov 26, 2007
    It would obviously be in the best interest for various peoples to "opt out" of the slow-motion train wreck that is 21st century US politics. However, politicians crave greater and greater power (people to rule and dollars to spend), and this is the only real glue keeping the union together at present. At some point that glue will become insufficient, but we're not there yet.

18. WT

WT Millennium Member

Jan 12, 1999
    USA
    Did anyone stop to think that maybe 'top management' is deliberately trying to break up the country into small, weak duchies?

I think many states would not be able to survive without their federal government handouts taken from other, wealthier states.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  19. sum-dum-guy

sum-dum-guy

Feb 3, 2007
    you mean like this? These states have more people on unemployment than working.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  20. WT

WT Millennium Member

Jan 12, 1999
    USA
    No.

I mean states that pay less federal taxes than they get in federal money.

The worst off states are Montana, North Dakota, Maine, West Virginia, Mississippi, Alabama, and New Mexico.

I think Virginia might go down if they shut the massive military structure around Norfolk and lost all that federal money needed to keep it going. (Is the State of New York going to order an aircraft carrier from VA?) S.C. is probably in the same 'boat'.

Tennessee and Kentucky will probably revert back to dirt 'interstate highways'.

Heck, the Mexican Army will occupy half of Texas within 2 weeks of a breakup.

Well, you get my drift.