close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

"Unique" is right. What would you recommend for an alternative?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by cowboy1964, May 22, 2014.

1. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    I've only ever used Unique for .38 Special, 9mm, .40, and .45. I am down to a pound and need to consider a backup (that is actually available). 9mm is my main concern as that is what I mainly load.

Recommendations?

2. NMG26

NMG26

Jul 24, 2010
    NM
    I have not been able to find Unique locally for over a year now. I used Bullseye and PB for some of my loads.

A few weeks ago I want shopping for powder and could not find any............till I lucked out. I took the Lee Die Set cover that has the data on the back and just went down the list. Finally picked up some Red-Dot. Works fine for my .45 230 gr LRN. 4.5gr-5.0gr.

3. SJ 40

SJ 40

Jan 17, 2011
    Vermont
    Universal Clays is the closest powder to Unique,others are very close in burn rate however not as close as UC. UC is so close in most cases the data for weight is identical to unique,UC to me is a bit cleaner burning than even the improved uniqe.
    The biggest problem is going to be UC isn't going to be any easier to track down at the moment than is unique or any other powder for that matter. SJ 40

4. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    Actually I would say WSF is closer than Univ. Loaded identically, it is just a tiny bit slower, like 1/10gr in most calibers. So close that when I can't find data for WSF, I use Unique & work it up.

5. Rich22

Rich22

Dec 10, 2001
    Orlando, Fl
    I have been trying to get WSF for over a year and a half with no luck, I called a place in new zealand the other day to try to track some down.

6. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    At this point if you can find a pistol powder you just buy it and use it. Things are so bad I have even used Unique myself. It's that bad.

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  7. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    Jack will haunt you for that one.
    Yep, all the Winchester powders are diff to find, but for w296. Universal is a close 2nd, I find it a tiny bit faster than unique, also never got great lead bullet accuracy with univ.

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  8. dla

dla

Oct 19, 2002
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    Whoa - that's bad! :)

To the OP - make that last pound last as I've been following gunbot and I haven't seen any pistol powder on a regular basis.

9. dougader

dougader

Apr 17, 2004
    Power Piistol is another one to look for. It's especially good in 9mm.

But, yeah, whatever you happen to find is what you should get considering the whacked out market right now.

10. G36_Me

G36_Me

Aug 4, 2009
    Hijack/Rant. Seriously, what is going on with powder??? You cannot find it and if u do then the price is stupid high.

Hoarding, if I ever find any I'm going to hoard more than I do now!!

11. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    Again, it's not hoarding if you plan on using it, even 10yrs from now.
    I bought a bunch of powder & primers I did NOT need in Nov 12. I could see this coming, I just didn't think it would be this bad or I would have ordered even more. The 24# & 15K add'l primers seems like not enough two years later.:crying:
    My local GS got some Alliant powders in; BE. PP. RD. At $225/8# they can keep it too. Considering they paid less than $100/8#, yes they are screwing their customers. Hopefully things get better after the NOv elections, IF the Rep win big enough. People will settle down, feel safer & then stock should start coming back. When it does, I will be a buyer of anything I use at a decent price. Get used to higher prices, it won't get better going forward.

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  12. G36_Me

G36_Me

Aug 4, 2009
    Agree, my ongoing question is now, what is a lifetime supply?? I have a bunch but still am in good enough health to outlive it. Not good!!

I also have enough to not bite at the current price. The question is: will I regret this decision?

Those who gaze in crystal balls die of ground glass.

13. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    Well obviously you have to take care of more pressing needs, but considering components don't go bad, buying in bulk at good prices will NEVER put you in the hole. Nothing is getting cheaper going forward, but crap made in China, so unless they start moving powder/primer plants to China, cost will continue to rise.
    I have some powder from the md 90s, just broke into it. No it's not my fav, but it is usable powder for handgun loading. At my current rate of 600-700rds of handgun a month, I have enough powder to shoot for 3-4 more years, depending on caliber. Yeah, that is thin. Primers, no problem, but still a buyer at a good price. I used to advocate 1yr min surplus at all times. Since Obama, it is now 2yrs min & 3 is probably a better bet going forward. Also still scrounging lead when & where I can. It is almost getting to be a rare metal in some states.

14. Kentguy

Kentguy

Nov 22, 2010
    Kent, OH
    Cowboy1964 "...9mm is my main concern as that is what I mainly load... Recommendations?"

I have tested these powders in 9mm with both 115g & 124g bullets and I really like em :thumbsup:

Accurate Arms - #5
    Alliant - Bullseye, Power Pistol
    Hodgdon - HS6, Universal
    Winchester - 231, Autocomp, WSF

Now as others have said, good luck finding these. Some I have recently seen on the shelves from time to time. I'm in good shape (powder-wise) for a good while yet. Like fred pointed out, I too saw this coming when "whats-his-name" got elected.

Keep you eyes open and buy what you can/when you can.

15. yep...it is crazy none of the gun stores here have any, none of the wholesalers have any either....I hope that in the near future that things might change but I doubt it.

16. blastfact

blastfact

Aug 15, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I got loaded up pretty good two weeks ago and have some stash. So I'm good to go. :)

I need to buy more bullets.

17. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    Really, just about any powder can be made to work from Bullseye up thru aa#7. You may not find data, but you can work up just about anything; chrono, patience & observation.:supergrin:

18. mc1911

mc1911

Nov 25, 2011
    For a long time I would buy something fire arms related every week. A brick of 22s,a box of primers, a can of powder , some bullets , brass or ammo.

It has helped during the Obama crazyness.