close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Union question in a right to work state

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Kevinr20, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Kevinr20

Kevinr20

I have exhausted my googling efforts in trying to find an answer to my question.

What employees in a company are bound to a union contract in a right to work state?

For example: Employees on one side of my company may join the police/fire/security union but employees on my side of the company are not eligible (so we're told). Would negotiations of the union contract apply to us as we are not eligible to be union and we have no union reps?

If there is anyone with union knowledge, specifically in right to work states, Pm me please! :wavey:

2. Resqu2

Resqu2

At my job a big part of the employees are in different unions, I'm not and what ever the union groups do doesn't affect me, I do get the same days off, health ins and stuff like that though.

3. Matthew Courtney

Matthew Courtney Instructor #298

Both state laws and the current contracts are going to come into play.

4. Hyksos

Hyksos

"right to work" states generally mean you don't have to give $ to the Union. The NLRA of 1935 makes it clear that they cannot condition your employment on joining the Union, but that doesn't mean you won't be forced to pay union dues anyway.

In a right to work state, they have generally carved out laws that prevent you from having to contribute your money to the Union. However, it is also very likely that the Union's Collective Bargaining Agreements may impact and affect you. Generally such contracts extend all employees, even those not in the Union. For example, if the Union managed to score an "all employees shall be given the option to buy into healthcare" for example, it is likely that you will also be given this option even though you are not in the Union.

Another example would be a Union scoring a term saying "the employer shall not pay any *insert job title here* less than X per hour." That term would likely also apply to you even if you aren't in the Union. If the employer tried to pay you less, it's possible the Union might even go to bat for you and try to argue that the employer has breached the CBA (even though you aren't in a Union).

A lot of these things depend on the state's laws about "right to work," and the terms in the Union's CBA.

Furthermore, if you're talking about a public union then a whole different set of rules apply. Public Unions do not fall under the jurisdiction of the NLRB.

5. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Big, educated kitty cat!

This goes further than that in some companies. One company near my hometown has union facilities up north but the SC facility is non-union. The non-union facility gets better pay raises and equal or better benifits. The idea is to prevent the union from coming in and unionizing that plant by eliminating the employee's need/desire to join.

Toyota in Kentucky pays as much as any union automaker, but is non-union.

Unions are a major pain in the rear for more reasons than just pay.