close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Union members, help me understand something.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by jutland, Nov 17, 2012.

1. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

Except now they get 99 months of unemployment benefits so there is no incentive to look for another job for 2 years.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

2. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Millennium Member

At least they won't be screwed now!

3. lunarspeak

lunarspeak

so the guys that work for hostess are now jobless and the guys that refused the offers by hostess still have jobs and prob make something into the 6 figures..

im sorry but those guys screwed up...they got greedy and wanted it all and now they got nothing.....i mean werent these guys makeing like $30+ a hour???? they deserved to lose thier jobs if you cant live off of that.. i only make $14 a hour and i own a house and a nice car and have never wanted for anything...well that one chic at olive garden but im working on that.

4. gilfo

gilfo

How much is the bet that Hostess comes back under maybe another name and resumes without a union. It's all about the dollars. I don't think a company as big as Hostess closes up shop without a plan.

5. Jon_R

Jon_R

Months?? I hope it is still weeks though I know how the election went so maybe. :dunno:

6. Jon_R

Jon_R

Sure why not. Probably get a good deal on some equipment, factories, trucks etc... Decide what it is worth to you for labor in different jobs and start hiring. I heard there is a big labor surplus now in that field.

7. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Unions are wonderful. If you want a job you MUST join union and pay dues or no job. (many jobs/if union) If you have a small business that does similar job to what union does. They will "invite" you to join union and have oppertunity to pay dues.etc. If you decline it will become less and less friendly.
    Then they will tell you not to work so hard. I will never join a union.

8. Roger1079

Roger1079

I can honestly say that I doubt that. I know with my expenses I could not live on $246 a week after taxes. Could you? Also, where are you getting the 99 month figure from? When my girlfriend got laid off they cut her off at 12 months.

9. PaulMason

PaulMason

The company sells what it can for what it can get.

Some other company can buy the brands and make them in their bakeries. The brands is where the big money is. Twinkies and HoHos probably will be back.

10. holesinpaper

holesinpaper

Compared to no job? 10% seems ok.

11. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

Not a union defender by any means, but suppose the company told you, dudes, we're on the ropes, we make crap nobody wants anymore. Our two main products have become the generic names for bad junk food and cheap, mass produced mediocre white bread. So, why don't you all take a xx% pay cut, pay more for your health insurance, lose some other stuff and then in a few months or a year maybe we'll bow to the inevitable and go bankrupt and lay you off anyway.

I have no idea what the union was offered, but sometimes your choice is a crap sadwich or a crap sandwich with cheese.

Another possibility is that unions and management develop a real hate relationship over the years of constant bargining, grievences, arbitrations etc. Unions and management routinely lie to each other and the press to gain an advantage in bargining so how do we know the union members both knew and believed the financial state of the company.

12. Bruce M

Bruce M

I certainly hope so. A world without Twinkies frightens me.

13. Bruce M

Bruce M

Eight years does sound like a bit long for unemployment. Wasn't there a Seinfeld episode somewhat like that in which Kramer thought he might actually have to go back to work because some decade old strike might have been ending?

14. G23Gen4.40

G23Gen4.40 .40 Rocks

Wouldn't that be like 8 years 3 months.

15. Hawkeye16

Hawkeye16

Because bankruptcy filings are very expensive and public. Also it is illegal to lie about financials on a public statement. Seems like it would not be too difficult to believe.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

16. Z71bill

Z71bill

A company can not use lies in the negotiating process.

Sure there is some gray area :whistling: but using a threat that we will have to close and go out of business if we don't get X% cut - if not true would cause an unfair labor practice charge and the NLRB would fine the crap out of them.

The union is however allowed to say almost anything - lie or not - and they (almost) never get into any trouble.

IIRC - during a union organizing effort (prior to the company getting a union) - if a company threatens to close the business if a union is formed - EVEN IF TRUE - they still can not say it. :dunno:

17. MadeInAmerica

MadeInAmerica

We are at the point of no return here folks, draw your line in the sand and be ready to defend it.

Do you have the guts to risk everything for what you believe in?

Hostess products will not die.

18. MooseJaw

MooseJaw NRA Lifer Silver Member CLM

I'm OK w/o Twinkies.. but no more Sno-Balls?? :wow:

That's Un-American!!

19. Annhl8rX

Annhl8rX

Yup...he went back to work at H&H Bagels. Then he went on strike again.

20. RustyL

RustyL

You and lard azz Rosey O'Donnell