close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Underwood Gold Dot 180gr 10mm meteorite tested by tnoutdoors9

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by cowboy1964, Sep 1, 2012.

1. cowboy1964

cowboy1964
    Expand Collapse

How powerful is it?

It's so powerful the jacket and core almost separated (this just doesn't happen with Gold Dots, not through denim)!

It's so powerful you don't measure the expanded diameter, you measure the stretched length!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl_n_miLfbY&feature=g-all-u"]10mm Ammo Gel Test: 180 gr Gold Dot (Underwood Ammo) - YouTube[/ame]

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. G33Man

G33Man
    Expand Collapse

That is awesome. I would like to see the same test using the same Underwood ammo but with the Hornady XTP bullet that they also offer.

3. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy
    Expand Collapse

My guess is it would penetrate at least 20''. That XTP isn't known for expansion...

I'd like to see the 155gr and 165gr Gold Dots tested as well.

4. uzimon

uzimon
    Expand Collapse
    team ftp

tagg:cool:

5. Berto

Berto
    Expand Collapse
    woo woo

No disappointment in bullet performance.

6. 9mm +p+

9mm +p+
    Expand Collapse

Ummmmm, who cares if the jkt seperated a wee bit? Not I, that was friggin awesome and would do a real number on flesh. Makes me want a 10mm upper for my 21.

7. klmmicro

klmmicro
    Expand Collapse

Just ordered some of these for a winter woods load. After reading a bunch on this offering, it would seem that Underwood has done it right for true 10mm Auto spec loads. Thank you for sharing the video!

8. G33Man

G33Man
    Expand Collapse

The XTP is an excellent bullet designed for deep penetration and controlled expansion. It is one of the most accurate JHPs I've ever had the pleasure of shooting and have never had any issues of any kind with the bullet.

Obviously I am a big fan of Hornady's XTP JHP bullet (and the Speer Gold Dot). I have shot (and recovered) these bullets thru just about every type of material I can think of. I am always impressed with the consistency of the expansion and the recovered bullet weight.

I have just stumbled onto Underwood ammo recently and am excited to have another choice of 10mm loads.

9. Breadman03

Breadman03
    Expand Collapse

I might just have to place an order with Underwood.

10. Beretta92guy

Beretta92guy
    Expand Collapse

that bullet = "a whole lotta' messed-up" on whatever it hits :)

11. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy
    Expand Collapse

No argument that the XTP is a good bullet. But, like you said it's known for deep penetration, not wide expansion. That's all I was trying to point out.

12. JW1178

JW1178
    Expand Collapse

Freaking awesome! Let me rephrase that: Holy mother of Thor!!!

Bullet failure technically, but anything hit by that would also suffer failure. It goes without saying, even if your shot placement wasn't spot on, the damage caused by that would be disabling, and the bleeding would be something that won't take long to be deadly, and the "shock" factor of a hit like that alone would most likely stop a fight.

I wish LE would look back into the 10mm on the G20 platform.

(waiting on 9mm fanboy arguments)

LOVE my G20. Now, need some new ammo. Can't wait to see more test. I'd like to see the cavity left by the 135gr.

#12 JW1178, Sep 1, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  13. uz2bUSMC

uz2bUSMC
    Expand Collapse
    10mm defender

Although the test result was impressive, well, standard in my mind for the 10mm, the best part is what he mentioned near the end... he is going to train up to use the 10mm where he feels comfortable. Most people try to throttle down the loadings ( other than 10mm) until they feel good about their shooting, TN9 is obviously someone who will put in the effort to master his desired loading instead.

14. Remington 870

Remington 870
    Expand Collapse

cowboy 1964 that was a cool test. I am interested in maybe trying the 200 grain underwood load for deer maybe if you get a chance to test that load I would really appreciate that. I think that load would have some very deep penetration! your videos are very good keep up the good work.

15. cowboy1964

cowboy1964
    Expand Collapse

(not my test, it's tnoutdoors9's)

16. JW1178

JW1178
    Expand Collapse

I wonder what he's going to test next, the 165's? When I did my own personal testing on DT's 165 it was quite impressive. I'd like to see the 135 in some balistics gel. I know it doesn't penetrate very deep, but every kind of other test I've seen done the 135 does massive damage. 155's would be interesting too. As far as the 180-200 XTP's, he will need to get another block or he's going to finally use some of those water jugs.

17. 9mm +p+

9mm +p+
    Expand Collapse

I'm waiting for the 45 ACP 230 gold dot +P test, hint, hint.

18. NEOH212

NEOH212
    Expand Collapse
    Diesel Girl

Interesting.

I'd never carry that load. It's way too hot and the bullet is obviously being pushed beyond it's design limits. Back off the velocity by 75 to 100 fps and maybe they will have something.

Besides, I'd be willing to bet there would be repeatable overpenetration issues with this load in the real world.

At least Underwood hit the advertised velocity mark for a change! :rofl:

19. Eric2340

Eric2340
    Expand Collapse
    Infidel :)

Being a 10mm noob myself, how much of an issue is this jacket separation issue w/ normal FACTORY 10mm loads?

I keep hearing about how great the mighty 10mm is and I am interested in it in a full size gun, but not if jacket separation and over penetration are normal things?

Thanks -

20. 4949shooter

4949shooter
    Expand Collapse
    1. The JBT's

Underwood has a Delta Elite specific load which is the same 180 grain Gold Dot bullet backed off to 1240 fps to allow it to be safely fired in a Colt Delta.

TNOutdoors, I would love to see this load tested as a comparison to the 1300 fps load!

Guys, this was not "complete" jacket seperation. The jacket peeled back, but stayed bonded to the load core. There was some fragmentation which is not necessarily a bad thing, and could be a good thing when you have enough penetration (17 3/4" of it).

Each fragment creates its own separate wound channel.

Devastating.