Underwood Ammo

Discussion in 'GATE Self-Defense Forum' started by FLglockdude, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Mas, quick question for you. This company Underwood Ammo has gotten popular as of late due to their reported quality and great prices on self defense ammo using Gold Dot bullets. I am interested in their ammo, but wanted to ask you a question about potential legal issues of using this ammo in a self defense shooting. My concern lies with the markings on the case head. While this is factory new ammo, the brass only has the Starline symbol stamped on it, not a brand name. Could this lack of brand marking give the prosecution grounds to argue that these are home-made cartridges instead of factory ammo?

My gut tells me that it would be best to stick to ammo made by the major manufacturers but I wanted to pique your brain on this subject instead of assuming.

http://www.underwoodammo.com/

2. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob KoolAidAntidote

Dude, I have no personal problem with Underwood ammo. The generic Starline headstamp COULD be a concern if the given, unpredictable incident created a question of what load was fired from the gun in evidence, though I haven't personally seen that happen. I'd be more concerned with whether the small manufacturer kept "exemplar lots" of their ammunition for future forensic evidence testing to prove my case if I was involved in a shooting with it, and GSR testing to determine distance became a "guilt or innocence" issue. One has to find out from the given manufacturer if they keep stocks of such ammunition for such purposes, as the major manufacturers do.

Best,
    Mas