close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Underwood ammo hype...

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by theSteve, Aug 16, 2012.

1. theSteve

theSteve

Jun 17, 2012
    I hope it is everything everyone has made it out to be. Purchased five boxes of ammo in three different calibers that are due to arrive tomorrow. Don't know if I'll be at the range Saturday morning or Sunday morning, but I will most definitely be there this weekend.

2. I just received my first order. One hundred rounds of 124 grain +p 9mm I hope to give it a go on Sunday. Easy company to do business with.

3. AKRover

AKRover 10MM Fanatic

Jun 22, 2012
    Kenai, Alaska
    I have mixed feelings toward Underwood Ammo. For the price I think you great exceptional ammo. The downside is I think they use weak cases. I tried the 200 grain FMJ 10mm rounds in both my Glock and Delta Elite. The Glock did just fine as I expected. The Delta bulged the case more than I expected. For comparison I also fired Doubletap 10mm 200 grain FMJ through both guns and did not have a single bulged case. The only reason I can think of for the lack of bulges with the Doubletap is stronger cases used. I'm sure someone will point out the error of my ways if I'm wrong.

I also don't like that Underwood doesn't ship to Alaska so I have to have it shipped to friend in the lower 48 so he can bring it up here for me.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  4. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    I know it tends to achieve and even exceed its advertised velocity. You can't say that about Doubletap.

5. TomAiello

TomAiello

Jan 8, 2012
    Twin Falls, ID
    Or less pressure from DT's weaker loadings?

Did you chrono the loads to verify that the DT was actually loaded as hot as the Underwood?

6. WinterWizard

WinterWizard

Jan 17, 2012
    Underwood delivers on velocity most times, but that is not always a good thing. They are pushing some bullets beyond their design limits. Hence, some loadings have great expansion but poor penetration due to the parachute effect. Velocity is not the end-all-be-all of ballistics.

7. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo

May 31, 2011

That would be the difference in the chamber support. The ammo is too hot for your Delta Elite. DON'T shoot any more of this ammo in it lest a case gives completely. The brass of all companies for all intents & purposes is basically the same for handguns.

8. JTSmith

JTSmith Œgfdrïńëçł

Mar 22, 2008
    Albany, GA
    Did you notice Underwood had a Delta Elite specific load(180gr GDHP) that is milder than the "normal" stuff?

All the 10mm I've purchased from Underwood used Starline brass. It's top notch brass. Matter of fact, I've reloaded most of that brass without any problems.

And DoubleTap is notorious for false advertisement.

9. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Mar 25, 2008
    North East Ohio
    I guess standard factory defensive ammo just doesn't get the job done and hasn't got it done for all these years.

Oh well, I guess I had better throw out all my factory ammo and get some Underwood or DT now since all my ammo is sub-standard and inferior.

:upeyes::upeyes::upeyes:

HYPE HYPE HYPE and nothing more.

Waste your money if you want to.

:shakehead:

10. Beretta92guy

Beretta92guy

Nov 15, 2011
    you got that right bac...

i bought some of that stuff in 9mm a few years ago, did not come near the advertised velocity on the box.....and shooting from a G17...

doubletap = doubleCRAP

11. larson1122

larson1122

Jan 30, 2012
    Minnesota
    I don't think anybody was saying that there is anything wrong with standard factory defensive ammo, or that it doesn't perform. I don't know much about the other loads they offer, but when it comes to 10mm, Underwood is far from hype. There just aren't very many options out there for "standard factory defensive ammo" in 10mm that is true full power stuff.

12. My research for the best 10 mm load for my g 20 is pointing toward Underwood. DT did not cut it for what they said it would there for I will not buy from them again. Getting ready to place my first order with Underwood for my 10mm and my back up 380.

And I agree factory ammo is good for most calibers but when it come to 10mm they don't stack up to true 10mm performance, basically 40 cal. So I really looking forward to trying the Underwood ammo.

13. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

What is your definition of factory?

I haven't chono'd any of this ammo but numerous others have and it seems to perform as advertised.

As for factory ammo not getting the job done, factory ammo comes in everything from .22 short to .500 S&W Magnum. What's wrong with someone who carries a 9mm wanting a little more zip?

Not to mention factory ammo is constantly evolving and improving.

BTW I carry a 9mm with regular old Federal Tactical Bonded 135 +P.

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

14. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

Nov 14, 2005
    I don't find it pleasing, that DT's ammo, doesn't achieve the velocities, they advertise, but, that is just one of their problems. My bigger concern is they still price their ammo, as though they are the only ones offering, real 10MM ammo. For crying out loud, DT is double the price, of underwoodammo.com!

Just for the record, either of their 10MM ammo offerings, whether advertised velocities are achieved, or not, in a defensive scenario, will get the job done. Whether a 135 grain Gold Dot is going 1400, or the advertised 1600 FPS, it's still going to drop gobblins!

15. ctious

ctious

Dec 12, 2011
    Here is what most are not seeing. Most calibers guys can get full power from a few different big names. When it comes to 10 mm. None of the big names make full power ammo. Underwood makes full power for the 10 mm. That is why anyone with a 10 mm loves underwood. That is where the hipe comes from.

He truley gives u what u pay for. Not watered down ammo.

16. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

Dec 1, 2001
    Spring, TX.
    The reason the case would bulge from the Underwood and not the Double Tap is because the Underwood ammo is probably actually living up to the velocity claims. Or at least getting close. Double Tap is known to inflate their velocity claims.

Really though, how are any of you actually comparing any of this ammo? Do you at least have chronographs? Do you shoot for bench rest accuracy?

Just buying the ammo and running it through the gun is pretty meaningless.

17. I googled the parachute effect and came up with squat, nor have I ever seen it mentioned. Can you enlighten me about the parachute effect? Perhaps a link a website which describes/discusses it? I don't doubt you, I'm just curious to learn.

18. silver-duck

silver-duck

May 20, 2012
    I was shooting underwood yesterday in a G20C; all the underwood ammo shoots good tight group's and the cases look good{star]These rounds are hot compared to factory rounds.

19. Gunboat1

Gunboat1 A.F.A.M.

I just asked a good friend to chronograph my 357 Sig Doubletap 125g Gold Dot carry ammo through my G-33. Five rounds: 1394/1390/1381/1355/1390 = an AVERAGE velocity of 1382 fps through my gun. That's 530 ft/lbs of energy. Not bad at all for a compact carry pistol. Even the slowest round tested generated 509 ft/lbs.

Doubletap advertises 1415 fps from a 3.5" barrel. I'm averaging only 33 fps less and my barrel is 3.43 inches long. That difference is negligible and chrony/temperature/individual barrel variance can result in much greater differences in any caliber when tested from day to day. As far as I am concerned, Doubletap is delivering. I carry it with great confidence.

I wouldn't base my decision on whether or not to buy Doubletap based upon someone's account who had a bad experience years ago. They are performing well today, in my opinion, at least in 357 Sig caliber. YMMV.