close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Underwood ammo hype update.

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by theSteve, Aug 19, 2012.

1. theSteve

theSteve
    Expand Collapse

Recently posted about me purchasing five boxes of underwood ammo in various calibers...well I went and shot all of it up today and I must say, I have never been more disappointed in my life. Did it live up to its reputation of performing at the velocities stated? I don't know. But what I can tell you is that every single gun I fired with underwood ammo had some sort of failure. Whether it was ejection or feeding, it happened at least once out of every mag I shot it out of. And trust me I WISH I was exaggerating with that statement. And just to prove my theory that it was poor quality ammo, I shot a box of Winchester between my gen 4 21 and kimber pro raptor and had not a single failure. But my sig sp2340 jammed and so did my gen4 27. So short story long, I will never in my life purchase this junk again. As for you individuals who have nothing but good results with this ammo, consider yourself as lucky as those who own a gen4 19 and have no ejection issues.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Beretta92guy

Beretta92guy
    Expand Collapse

man, sorry to hear that........

and i was just about to order some of their .45 ammo :((

edit: I think the guy that owns Underwood posts on here sometimes, maybe he can offer some intel on why that happened....

#2 Beretta92guy, Aug 19, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  3. CanyonMan

CanyonMan
    Expand Collapse
    In The Saddle

Man I know 'nothing" about this Underwood ammo, except the 10mm guys love it... But, What you just said, Is why I hand load everything and have for about 45 years... I believe any one can hand load. Even guys in small aprtments. You can make it work if ya really want to. I was stuck livin in a small mobile home out on a ranch my wife and I leased when we firs got married, and built a little table with a 2X12 top and 2x12 legs, with a 2x4 running across to each leg towards the bottom. Bolted the press to the top, and went to it !

It beats buyin ammo, and hopping it works !

Good luck OP. I'd send the stuff back amigo !

CM

4. gofastman

gofastman
    Expand Collapse

5. elliotb33

elliotb33
    Expand Collapse

TN9 has yet to have a problem in his videos.
    Still will be getting some 9mm and 44 mag soon from them.

#5 elliotb33, Aug 19, 2012
  6. Happypuppy

Happypuppy
    Expand Collapse

I have fired many rounds of it in a G23, 19 and XD tactical .45. No miss feeds or problems of any kind. Everything from standard to +p 230 .45 and 124 grain +p+

7. ceverhart

ceverhart
    Expand Collapse

Sorry you had issues, all of my underwood ammo has been good. I thought I read where he had said that he had a under performing batch of ammo go out? If I recall correctly he was making it right with the people that got it.....

8. theSteve

theSteve
    Expand Collapse

Like I said, some people have great luck with it and in situations like mine, they will not. I'm sure everyone can agree that they would rather know that the reason for their firearm to failure to feed or eject is because of bad ammo and not bad parts. It's a lot easier to just not buy a specific brand of ammo than it is to replace specific parts. So all in all I'm pretty satisfied with that.

9. CanyonMan

CanyonMan
    Expand Collapse
    In The Saddle

Again, amigo. If your not havin problems with any other ammo.... It is a no brainer, and warrants no further discussion. ( as you know) send the stinking ammo back man, and tell him it does not work for you as you have explained to us here. Do not pay for stuff that does not work for ya.... I buy NO one's relaods, and this guy may be a real stand up guy, I do not know. But I do know, that for $300.00 + a few pennies, I do not care how cramped yopu are or where you live, you can reload your own...

Just a suggestion..... ;)

Again, good luck, and I would never use that brand again, Obviously.

CM

10. unit1069

unit1069
    Expand Collapse

I looked into reloading a couple of years ago and for the life of me I couldn't see how to do it with only $300 outlay, especially after visiting the GT Reloading thread and reading of guys who'd paid upward of $1,000 for equipment and still couldn't produce a single shootable round.

I've got about 1,500 once-fired 9mm casings and probably 1,000 once-fired .357sig casings. I know 9mm is what I'd start with until I became good enough to tackle the more difficult .357sig but I never took the first step after checking out the reloading volume from the library. From what I can tell it's a more complicated process than it appears and I've appealed to the NRA to conduct reloading classes as part of their services, to no avail so far.

#10 unit1069, Aug 19, 2012
  11. kjunderwood

kjunderwood
    Expand Collapse

As our website states, "If for some reason Underwood Ammunition fails to meet performance expectations, we stand by our product 100% and will make sure the customer is satisfied with every purchase."

I'd love for you to shoot us an email, give us a call, whatever you prefer. I consider myself a pretty easy guy to get along with and would appreciate the opportunity to make this right. This kind of issue is definitely a first for us. Let me know if you need our email address or number. Thanks much, Kevin

12. CanyonMan

CanyonMan
    Expand Collapse
    In The Saddle

Man, My dear amigo.... I don't know how to answer without this being a "novel." haha

Listen, We'll do some more on PM "if ya want to..." But for now, forget all that crap on the GT reoading thread....

Ok, you can get ALL you need from a single stage reloading press (which I have been using for almost 45 years) from cabela's for 300.00 $. About 40.00 for the dies for your particular round, then 1 Pound of powder for 18.00 and the case's you got, and then the primers and bullets, SOOOOO , for about 450.00 you are ready to start with at least "one" caliber...

I started with 44mag 45 years ago, and put 'C' clamps on the press and fixed them to my kitchen counter (I was a bacholer then ha) and loaded tons of 44mag this way until I built a little bitty bench that would fit into a closet.

All I am trying to say is, I will PM you if you want me to (let me know throuh a PM,) and will give you the low down on this, in detail and you should be able to START with actually a $500.00 bill and that is higher than it really is going to be, I am over shooting this (no pun intended) ha.

Does reloading save you tons of money ? NO, does it save you some ? YES ! The major benifit is you'll have them YOUR WAY amigo, and not have to hassle with factory fodder again.

There are tricks and ways of doing this to save $$$$ but we will get into that if ya want to do the PM, or PM me with a Phone # and we can talk. Half of GT already got my # and I get calls all the time anyway ... hahaha. So your more than welcome. NOT that I am some expert, but I do know what I am doing and been doing it most of my life, and love helping folks, so feel free pard.

Rather than take up more space here, if you interested, man shoot me a Pm, and if ya want to hook up on the phone which is MUCH easier than all the typing and PM's, then we can deal with this and get ya set up, and believe me, it will be a blessing to ya, and you'll be glad ya took the step. Yes it cost a few bucks, as i layed out to ya to start, BUT NOT $1,000, NO NO NO.... We are going to forget that junk and keep it at half that !

So man, let me hear from ya if ya want to, and I'll spend all the time ya want to spend, and we'll get 'er done for ya.... ;)

Bless ya.

CM

13. matt_lowry123

matt_lowry123
    Expand Collapse

Wow!!! That's some really good customer service!!

I've heard nothing but good things about this company. This justifies it that much more!!

14. unit1069

unit1069
    Expand Collapse

I'll send you a private email when I figure out how to do it via Glock Talk. I have all GT site messages turned off and it's late tonight so I will give it a go later in the week. I'm semi-retired but will be working the next two weeks full time so be patient. I really do want to learn about reloading and I understand having the brass is a big part I already have covered.

Thanks for the offer.

15. CanyonMan

CanyonMan
    Expand Collapse
    In The Saddle

Sounds good man. Ask one of the mods how to find the turned off PM feature or what ever, or when ya find it and check mark it to activate it, just click on the word CanyonMan, and you will see 'send a private message'.... !

Look forward to hearing from ya amigo.

CM

16. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy
    Expand Collapse

I've always had a good experience with Underwood ammo and Kevin is great to deal with as well. He'll provide just about any product information you want and does it in a timely manner.

17. WiskyT

WiskyT
    Expand Collapse
    Malcontent

I'm not criticizing CanyonMan as I have read his posts for years and he will give you good usable information. His instructions WILL WORK and you WILL be making your own ammo in short order.

What I will do is say that you can be in business for well under $300.00 if you buy Lee equipment. Their single stage presses work without issue and their dies are some of the best out there.

I would also suggest you get a reloading manual. Lyman, Hornady, Speer, Sierra, it doesn't much matter. You can by the older editions for just a few bucks on Amazon etc or even take one out at the library. You only need one. More manuals only adds to the confusion, which will be minimal with CanyonMan training you.

GTReloading is a mixed bag of info. Really, the internet itself is a mixed bag of reloading info. There are too many people who make reloading too complicated. Many of my posts in GTR are along those lines, that newbs are intimidated by all the info. It chases good people away from reloading.

If your goal is to make consistent, safe, accurate ball ammo, it can easily be done as CM says, and without breaking the bank. Any gear you buy now that down the road seems to slow to use, will still be used by you to do other reloading tasks, so you won't be wasting any money on the stuff you buy now even if you graduate up to fancier gear.

I started out with a Lee hand press, which they still make, and a set of dies. My reloading gear, all of it, fit in a shoebox. That was in 1986 and I still use it even though I have much more elaborate gear.

Also, reloading is FUN. It is just as much of a hobby as shooting. It's a way to do "gun stuff" without even getting dressed. You can reload in your PJ's. You don't need to drive half an hour to the range and half an hour back, only to find it is raining when you get there, pay $10.oo for range time and then shoot $50.00 worth of ammo.

18. paragon1

paragon1
    Expand Collapse

I started with a Lee Classic Turret Press. If I had started with a single stage it would have been money wasted. You can run single stage till you get your settings right.

19. Foxtrotx1

Foxtrotx1
    Expand Collapse

To avoid thread derail, I think it's important to contact the manufacturer and make sure they have a say before you rag on them here.

Besides, this would be the first complaint I have seen. No I'm not a fanboy.

20. wct097

wct097
    Expand Collapse

I collected brass for a while, then started buying stuff a little at a time. I bought the cheapest single stage press I could find (~$40 from Lee), Lee Dies ($45), Powder Thrower (~$30), digital scale ($40), tumbler ($50), a few boxes ($20), calipers ($20), primer tool (~$30), powder ($20), and primers ($30). I figure even with the small things & tools that I got in for under $300. I'm probably going to upgrade my press, scale, and primer tool soon, but only for efficiency.

With my current setup, I can knock out about 100 rounds an hour while being very careful with measurements and double checking stuff. Not going to supply me for competition shooting, but it's more than enough to keep me shooting.