Glock Talk banner

Underwood 220 gr hardcast

22K views 33 replies 23 participants last post by  nickE10mm 
#1 ·
I'd been waiting for this....although I'm not sure I thought I would see a 220 grain....velocity seems outstanding....hmmmm....

#2 ·
I was hoping for and suggested a 200gr WFNGC. The reasons being, one still gets good penetration, but more importantly, allows a standard Glock barrel rifling to stabilize the bullet.

Too heavy and this happens ( hickok45's video) : [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m0satEkGjw&feature=related"]Glock 20 with heavy cast bullets - YouTube[/ame]

#10 ·
I was hoping for and suggested a 200gr WFNGC. The reasons being, one still gets good penetration, but more importantly, allows a standard Glock barrel rifling to stabilize the bullet.

Too heavy and this happens ( hickok45's video) : Glock 20 with heavy cast bullets - YouTube
Great video as usual from Hickok45.

However, someone needs to tell him that there's a big difference between hot 10mm and hot 44mag.

#17 ·
I just need a starting point on spring weight. This is my first venture into hotter loaded 10mm until I start reloading.
Just shoot it with the stock spring weight and see if you feel that it is problematic. At that point you might boost spring weights if you find a specific reason, but it is totally not a requirement.

The only time my gun has failed (other than due to worn parts) is when I switched to a 22# spring. The stock spring is 100% with whatever loads I run. I replace it every 3000 rounds.

#18 ·
I just need a starting point on spring weight. This is my first venture into hotter loaded 10mm until I start reloading.
I run an ISMI 22lb spring on my G20, and it's never failed me once, even with .40sw tulammo. I wish I had gotten the 24lb ISMI spring tho, 22lb wasnt enough for my gun with hotter ammo, it would still sling brass fifteen or twenty feet.

Like tater said, it isnt a necessity, shooting with the stock spring is perfectly fine. Personally, I do recommend a heavier spring if youre going to be shooting a lot of hot stuff, just to keep the battering down on your gun, but that's just me.

#19 ·
Per an email I got from Underwood, all bullets stabilized perfectly through a stock barrel. Even so, do you guys think I could expect leading since the bullets are not gas-checked?

Great forums btw. Glad to finally be part of it!
Every bit of research ive done indicates that so long as you check your barrel every fifty rounds, and clean it when necessary, you will be fine...

#22 ·
Merely guessing here, but they may be SNS casting hardcast 220gr. bullets. I have a number of these but I've never shot any out of the stock bbl and they're not gas checked either. I can't imagine they would lead terribly, but would expect them to lead some.

#24 ·
Handloading and casting are insurances to eliminate short falls and allows you to produce custom premium quality ammo and some savings over the long haul.
Good luck!

#25 ·
Underwood uses a 24# spring...he told me. He shoots hot all the time, so I'd imagine. I use a 22# SS rod/spring. Works great in both worlds.
Enjoy!

#26 ·
Handloading and casting are insurances to eliminate short falls and allows you to produce custom premium quality ammo and some savings over the long haul.
Good luck!
^^^ this ....

Everytime I hear someone post "gosh, now i gotta save for XXXX ammo" I just chuckle and think about my beloved Lee Classic Turret in my basement.

If you have the means to get setup for reloading ($300 or so up front), I'd HIGHLY recommend it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.