close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Unarmed man attempts to rob EMU student of holstered gun

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Sam Spade, Apr 24, 2012.

1. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    right from the story:

"The man is described as black and in his early 20s, with a thin build and a beard. He was wearing a black hooded sweatshirt, red shirt, dark pants and gray and orange tennis shoes."

Why mention that he was black? What a racist news story (yuk yuk).

2. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

Apr 13, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm sure we will be hearing from the open carry advocates about how this is an anomaly and that open carry still makes sense.

3. 4TS&W

4TS&W 2A RKBA 4EVER

Jul 20, 2002
    here and there...
    He was wearing a hoodie... were there skittles involved? :)

4. nosuchagency

nosuchagency ...

Feb 3, 2006
    garnered much more attention than sought. i'll stick to blaring stereo at intersections...

5. Spike52

Spike52

Mar 18, 2012
    Just trying to be clear on your comment, Sam.
    Do you feel that OC caused it?
    -S

6. Interesting.

Seems like some bad guys will try to grab whatever they want.

7. FL Airedale

FL Airedale Dog Breath

May 21, 2011
    North-Central Florida
    That's exactly why I will carry concealed, even if open carry is permitted.

8. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

Jan 26, 2001
    for lack of a better comparison, open carry is in line with wearing expensive jewlry or carrying a purse. the open carried gun is a valuable item exposed to theives.

9. zbusdriver

zbusdriver

Jul 21, 2006
    se michigan
    bingo!

10. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Lifetime Member

May 4, 2003
    Two part answer: first, you'll soon see a common jingo on this board WRT crime, "Open carry would have prevented this." When it's not a mocking statement, it's an advocate telling us how OC is a major deterrent. That drove the form of my comment.

Second, yes. I'm firmly convinced that the non-situationally aware doofus who was busy treating his pistol as a tailsman and political statement caused the robbery attempt in large part due to his choice of open carry.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  11. series1811

series1811 Enforcerator. CLM

Open carry scares normal middle class people and scavenger criminals. It doesn't scare predators, who shoot and get shot, for a living, and who will just assess it on its merits as a possible score.

Luckily, most open carriers do it in places like malls and Wal-Mart, so it doesn't really matter. Except that they don't realize it is the class of people they are showing it to, not the presense of the gun, that is the operative factor in nobody trying to take it from them.

12. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

Oct 19, 2006
    Doh ?
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  13. oldman11

oldman11

Mar 1, 2012
    Texas
    It's not racist, they are giving a description of the guy. Get real!

14. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Apr 4, 2006
    minnesota
    From the clothing description, the BG sounds like Bozo The Clown.

15. glock_40_calibe

glock_40_calibe Glocks Rock

Nov 29, 2004
    Michigan
    The sad part is, open carry may have been the only way for him to carry most of his day. The article stated the intended victim was a student at EMU. Michigan law states those with a CPL may not carry concealed into classrooms and dormitories of a college or university. Carrying openly in those areas are legal with a CPL. I realize he was on the street and could have covered it before the incident took place, though.

16. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

May 1, 2008
    It is a risk of open carrying, and it is certainly not the first time this has happened. Did the gun owner have a holster with retention to help mitigate the risk?

17. twag4

twag4

Feb 28, 2010
    Alabama
    Seems to me that Jessie Jackson, Al Sharpton and the gang ought to give this student an award for not shooting this hooded black male for attacking him. He chose a different response when attacked than Zimmerman did. I'm sure they will never mention this though.

18. dnuggett

dnuggett PRO 2A

Feb 28, 2005
    DFW TX
    It would put the cause of the robbery squarely on the person doing the robbery, not the person being robbed.

19. dnuggett

dnuggett PRO 2A

Feb 28, 2005
    DFW TX
    Indeed it is an expensive item exposed to thieves. So is a vehicle. What's the point?