close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Unable to remove front Glock Night Sight

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by hbroadie, Oct 31, 2011.

1. hbroadie

hbroadie

May 26, 2011
    I have a G23 that came with Glock night sights. I cannot remove the front sight using the Glock front sight tool. I have no problem removing the plastic sights on my other glocks.

I ended up buying a 3/16" craftsman wrench and found that the hex screw is actually smaller than 3/16" so that is why my Glock tool is also not working. Any ideas on how to remove the front sight without breaking the sight itself? I have extra hex screws from the plastic sights so I don't mind breaking the screw.

Thanks!

2. Lee-online

Lee-online Mul-ti-pass

Mar 13, 2006
    Susquehanna Valley, PA
    I tried to use my craftsman nut driver and it didn't fit because it is too thick to fit between the screw and the front of the slide. I purchased the correct tool and it works.

3. M&P Shooter

M&P Shooter Metal Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Phila, PA
    Works like a charm:supergrin:
    http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1075&CAT=111

4. edsglocks

edsglocks

Oct 28, 2011
  5. smitty704

smitty704

Aug 18, 2011
    NC
    I am in the same position you were when you started this thread. S what did you do to remove the front sight? I need to remove the factory installed night sights on my G19 to install a set if XS big dots, what is the best way to do this?

6. Mark Housel

Mark Housel

Dec 21, 2011
    Arizona
    I can send you an Ameriglo front sight tool. PM or email me with an address. I probably have a few dozen of these things. They used to ship them with every set of sights.

Probably your sight is loctited. Try heating it up good and hot with a heat gun or even a hair dryer.

7. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Dec 17, 1998
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Glock started using screw-on front sights around March 2009. Removing Glock factory front night sights:

1. Screw-on--use the proper front sight tool. No locktite was used. I use a GLOCK factory front sight tool.

2. Crimped on--not reusable. You must twist it off using a pair of pliers, preferably parallel jaw pliers.

8. smitty704

smitty704

Aug 18, 2011
    NC
    Thanks DannyR! That is the info I was looking for.

That is a shame the night sights can't be reused. I thought I might be able to sell them.

I bought some new pliers this week and will put them to good use when the Big dots come in the mail. :supergrin:

Thanks again