close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

UN Small arms resolution

Discussion in 'Gun-Control Issues' started by sum-dum-guy, Aug 15, 2011.

1. sum-dum-guy

sum-dum-guy
    Expand Collapse

2. NH Trucker

NH Trucker
    Expand Collapse
    Needs coffee...

That's a pretty old story. Some of the comments are from last year. I am curious though how that's all going. One thing is for sure though, any group of people that feel like coming up the stairs to my apartment to take my property are going to find out just how quickly I can empty my 20 round drum on my Saiga 12.

3. sum-dum-guy

sum-dum-guy
    Expand Collapse

I know this thing comes up all the time and I have always dismissed it.

I assumed this would just die and go away but getting the letter today got me concerned.

However, it could just be an attempt to drum up the fear factor before the elections again.

Worldwide craziness probably just had me on edge

4. as400guy1

as400guy1
    Expand Collapse

I thought that I read somewhere that Congress as a whole would oppose it.

5. Cmacc

Cmacc
    Expand Collapse

Whew! Now I feel a whole lot better. :faint:

6. sputnik767

sputnik767
    Expand Collapse

Well, you should. Considering congress would need to approve such a treaty, having virtually the entire congress opposing it means that we are pretty safe.

7. ChinaCave

ChinaCave
    Expand Collapse

Does anyone have a link to an actual draft of this bill / proposal? I just got an e-mail from the NRA about the same deal, but I like to read stuff before supporting or opposing it, like, y'know, how folks in congress should read the bills they pass?

None of the outfits urging me to oppose this offer it up for a read.....

8. MtBaldy

MtBaldy
    Expand Collapse
    Obie Wan, RIP

http://www.un.org/disarmament/convarms/ArmsTradeTreaty/

There is no treaty but the US voted to schedule a conference in 2012 to draft one indicating at least tacit support for the treaty. Make no mistake, Obama and Hillary want to end private ownership of guns in the United States. Up to this point they have been afraid of the voters wrath. Perhaps they hope if they can point to a UN treaty requiring disarmament they will have a chance of passing it.

Personally I'd like to see this treaty used by conservatives as a wedge to drive the US out of the UN. Not likely I know but I can dream.

#8 MtBaldy, Aug 16, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  9. ChinaCave

ChinaCave
    Expand Collapse

Thanks.

Really appreciate it.

10. redbaron007

redbaron007
    Expand Collapse
    Some Dude
    Lifetime Member
    1. The Outpost Lounge

IIRC, It only has to receive a 2/3 vote from the Senate to be ratified. Currently, it doesn't have the votes. Early last year, there was the thought they could muster 61 votes out of the Senate, but not now. Many Dems reject it now.

It was rumored when this first came out, which I didn't validate, that the POTUS could sign it by EO during a Senate reccess, then the Senate would have to vote to repeal it; if nothing took place, I believe the treaty would not be ratified. If any one has more, please add. Thx!

The NRA Executive VP spoke against it this summer at the UN.

:wavey:

red

#10 redbaron007, Aug 16, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  11. lanternlad

lanternlad
    Expand Collapse
    Mythmatician

Google Reid v Covert. The Constitution outranks any treaty. Nothing to worry about, IMO.

“This Court has regularly and uniformly recognized the supremacy of the Constitution over a treaty.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reid_v._Covert

12. MtBaldy

MtBaldy
    Expand Collapse
    Obie Wan, RIP

Yeah, well, I do worry. All it would take is one far left judge replacing one conservative one and we could "well regulated militia" as meaning only National Guard troops on maneuvers are allowed to have guns. Give Obama a second term and that could happen. Looking at what the Republicans have come up with so far I think a second Obama term is pretty likely.

I mean look up the definition of "infringe" and tell me our right to own and carry guns is not drastically infringed now, even in most gun friendly states. Vermont is about the only state that seems to get the "infringed" part of the 2nd Amendment today.

13. Turk

Turk
    Expand Collapse

Wow, dejavu!

14. TexasFats

TexasFats
    Expand Collapse
    NRA, TSRA, SAF

Actually, only the Senate must ratify treaties. The House of Representatives has nothing to do with the process. Reminder: The Democrats have a majority in the Senate. Also, don't put anything past the Obama Administration. If they think that they can get away with it, they will try to do it.