Un-burned Powder

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by jr05, Jan 9, 2012.

1. BlueDot is really quite slow burning & runs best closer to max. So if you want midrange loads, I would switch to something like PowerPistol.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. dla

dla

They're not "unburned". They are powder zombies.

3. pasky2112

pasky2112 Senior Member

Great points. The G20 shoots GREAT! It's a keeper and I LOVE it! I just got it so I'm getting the feel of it shooting ~45'/15yds and getting about 3" grps standing shooting supported. For now, I'm OK with that. Coming from Precision Rifle background, that was HARD to accept when I started pistol...I digress.
    I think going to mag primers might be too drastic at this point. Thinking of reducing the COAL to 1.250" first, with following 12.0g BF load.
    My load is not far from yours, Taterhead, and I'm getting significantly lower vel.'s... for ex. in my G20 stock bbl:
    155g JHP MG w/ 12.5g of BD CCI #300 @ 1.26" - avg 1210 fps in 15 rd string. (ES-60, SD-19) According to avg data, I'm about 100-150 slower with this load.
    Another load with 12.0g of BD and exact same components, day, string ct., ect. avg 1178 fps.
    Whattya guys think about running the sub-max loads (12.0g BD above) back through my resizer to reduce COAL to 1.250" then re-crimp w/ usual Lee FCD ? I'd think it'd be more 'apples/apples' but not sure of any gotya's.

Bottom line is that I'd like to see less unburned powder via improved powder combustion efficiency in reasonably charged loads in a reasonable bbl length. I'd care less if I was shooting a 2" bbl ...but 4.6"... it shouldn't be snowing BD flakes everywhere. ;)

THX!

4. pasky2112

pasky2112 Senior Member

Power Pistol is my fav .40 load. I WILL eventually dev a load in 10mm w/ it for IDPA.
    I'd really like to get the BD combustion issue solved in 155's. If not, I may use it for heavier 180's. I just want a fast mid-range round to try silhouette shooting @ 50 yds. Besides, I can't back down to an obstacle and challenge of figuring this BD out. There's something new to learn, here. ;)

Thanks for sharing!

#24 pasky2112, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  5. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

I checked Alliant's website and their max is below what you are running so the Hornady data might be a true max. Some powders will leave unburnt flakes and you might just have to live with it with the 155's. The range floor used to have so much left over 296 from when I ran it with 125's in 357mag that the floor would be slippery and it was truly at a max load.

6. pasky2112

pasky2112 Senior Member

Yet ANOTHER Zombie problem. I can't imagine what they'll do on 12/21! :faint:

7. That is kind of voodoo though, you can't track pressure increase w/ volume decrease in a linear fashion, it varies w/ each powder. Then when you reach a certain volume, pressure go up dramatically.:dunno: