close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Ultralight/Light gear

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Usingmyrights, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Jr Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    I'm wanting to get an ultralight or light (both?) fishing setup. I'd like to try and spend under $120 for the rod/reel combo. What I'm looking at so far for rods is:

Uglystick Light Pro
    Shimano Voltaeous
    Fenwick/Abu Garcia Conolon

I'm wanting a 1piece rod 5'+

For reel:

Abu Garcia 101
    Pflueger President
    Pflueger Micro
    I looked at an Avet reel as well that I liked but don't recall the model.

I'm wanting to use atleast 4lb line, and I've head that 10lb Fireline is supposed to be a similiar size to standed 4lb line, so I'm thinking that might be a good option as well. I'm open to any and all suggestions as long as it falls into the price range. I can go up a little if it'll get me a much better setup. My target species will be crappie, and smaller largemouth bass.

2. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Jr Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Anyone? Bueller?... Bueller? I'm open to ideas. Just looking for some reccommendations for a setup for the above mentioned fishing that'll be under $120 for the rod and reel unless its a really nice setup for not much more.

3. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Aug 16, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    I've got one of them Shimano Sedona reels. Very nice reel. I don't have the smaller one (500 or 1000) - I've got the mid-size run (2500) strung with 12lb Berkley XL Smoothcast. I suspect it's more of a small-reel design they bumped up. The bail is MEGA-thin. The good thing is it's so thin and quirky that it forces me to flip it closed by hand.

I'm a bass man, so I don't use much ultra-light. I only have the 2500 to pitch unweighted worms and 1/4oz lures that my baitcasters won't throw. But the names you tossed out are all good ones.