close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Ultra Wide Zoom

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by airmotive, Mar 19, 2009.

1. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

Nov 19, 2007
    Debris Field
    Not that I think it's going to happen....
    But you guys have 3 hours to talk me out of picking up the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 that is on hold for me at the local camera shop. I have a trip to Bogota next week and the more I learned about the city, the more I realized I needed an UWZ to capture it.

Okay, so I'm really just trying to justify $624 on a piece of metal and glass (although that is a good price...DOH, I'm doing it again!)

Help Miss Kitty! Save me!!
    :drowning:

2. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

Nov 19, 2007
    Debris Field
    Too late.
    Ended up hitting B&H for a hundred bucks less with next day shipping. (sorry local photog shop). I promise to buy my POL filter from you, I swear.
    Can't wait.
    I haven't been this excited about a lens since...well, my last lens purchase (70-200 f2.8L)

3. Kingdaddy

Kingdaddy

Dec 31, 2008
    Kentucky
    You can't do better than B&H. I've had 3 Nikon mount Sigma 10-20 (s) before I realized I was always shooting at the 20mm wanting a little more. I usually use 2 cameras, 1 with 17-55 AFS or 28-70 AFS, the other a 70-200 AFS VR. Some folk live and breath wide, I always say if the photo ain't good enough it's because you're not close enough.

4. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Mar 23, 2003
    >^..^<
    Save you?!?! Ha! I am lusting for a new fishie zoom! :rofl: :supergrin:

5. Glkster19

Glkster19

May 12, 2001
    Lansing, MI
    You bought WHAT?!?! OMG what have you done?? As soon as you get your hands on this you need to ship it to me immediately so I can destroy it for you. It will ruin your camera don't even put it on. PM me so I can send you my address.

Seriously Dude I'm just trying to help.

:tongueout::rofl::tongueout::rofl::tongueout:

6. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

Nov 19, 2007
    Debris Field
    It's good to know you have my back.
    Why are you holding that knife, anyway?

7. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

Nov 19, 2007
    Debris Field
    I agree on B&H. But I really, really want to support my local photo shop. (Roberts of Indy). The tipping factor was I discovered I've had $150 sitting in my paypal account for the last 8 months from a forgotten eBay sale. So, with next day delivery, the total came in under $600. Plus I can use my "free" money on paypal, leaving my total out of pocket at $450. My local shop was $624...$675 after tax (and a 45 minute drive each way).

Wow, that's a lot of justification. Talk about feeling guilty.
    I will use them when I go filter shopping though. I promise.

8. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

Nov 19, 2007
    Debris Field
    Dear Lord! This is THE coolest lens.
    It's just arrived. I have bubble wrap all over the living room. Once again, my dog will hate me. (she's my semi-willing photo model).
    Unfortunately, my card reader is at work; so it looks like I'll have to go back.
    I've already taken a dozen or so shots of whatever happens to be in front of me. I can see how this will be a difficult lens to learn how to use properly, but the capabilities are unlike anything I've ever used.
    Pics to follow once I retreive my card reader.....

9. Glkster19

Glkster19

May 12, 2001
    Lansing, MI

Strictly a bread buttering knife only. :supergrin::supergrin:

Enjoy your new lens, that is certainly a model on many people's want list.

10. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

Nov 19, 2007
    Debris Field
    First Shot...
    No I did not kill my dog.
    That's her natural state.
    [​IMG]

11. El Capitan

El Capitan Kalibanned

Apr 5, 2002
    Los Angeles, Aztlán
    Ultra wides are awesome. Just watch out for the converging verticals when shooting buildings; that wide can really warp a scene.

BTW, I had my Tokina 12-24, then dropped a chunk of change on the 14-24 last summer. Love it, but over twice what you paid. That 14-24 on a full frame camera though, wow, very very wide (without being a fisheye).