close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ultimate Supercar?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by slick64, Sep 19, 2012.

1. slick64

slick64

2. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

The article in the link provided has basically no real information, other than a few pictures, and a few vague words about the driveline.

How/why do you then believe that it is many steps beyond an MP4-12C, or any other super car?

3. Dragoon189

Dragoon189

has nothin on this
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVQsteRY8F4&feature=related"]Smart GSXR Mille - YouTube[/ame]
    bugatti veyron still has more hp

4. slick64

slick64

Having followed McLaren for years, I have no doubt in their commitment to what they state. If they feel the car will surpass the F1, who am I to argue.

5. slick64

slick64

6. Scott3670

Scott3670

Sorry, but my dream car is the Audi R8. Don't have a chance in hell of getting one, short of winning the lottery, but I can dream, can't I?

7. slick64

slick64

I have one, its a sweet ride, but no McLaren.

8. JMS

JMS 02

The F1 will always be the ultimate supercar to me, I was actually trying to acquire an emblem from the vehicle to add to my f1 model collection, Mclaren won't sell it to a non f1 owner and used it sold for close to $300 on eBay uk.

9. Bruce M

Bruce M

10. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Big, educated kitty cat!

11. BEER

BEER bad example

the car in that article looks like a lotus elise.

12. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

With the technological bounds that the Veyron represents, I have a hard time believing that there are many more new ideas and technologies out there right now to dramatically increase over-all performance.

Hell, look at the suspension on the MP4-12C, it's about as good as can be created. Small improvements? Sure. Anything dramatic? Doubtful.

13. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

14. Bruce M

Bruce M

There was a black R8 in front of me last night on a tow truck. Not surprising as I was a few blocks from an Audi dealer. I suspect they try to avoid driving them from one point to another.

15. SC Tiger

I think what you'll see is cars getting close to the Veyron and be profitable (of course we are probably talking cars costing over $1 mil each). VW Auto Group took about a $4 mil loss per car I believe. Supposedly it was just a "technical exercise" (and marketing) but I don't see another company doing that.

Also the Veyron wasn't perfect - it was very heavy for a supercar (over 4000 lbs I believe). It struggled on the Top Gear track (NOT the defining test of a car mind you but it was beaten by a few other cars). If they can shed a few hundred pounds off of her it could be even better.

I've heard McLaren wants the "belt" back and this car will be their attempt to get it.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  16. SC Tiger

Probably that and to avoid a potential wreck (assuming it was on a rollback). I saw a Rolls on a rollback heading from Miami to New York one night at a gas station. I asked the driver about it and he said the hotel lost the keys to it and therefore had to wait for new keys to be made and arrive to take it back to the owners (who flew back home). I asked why they didn't just drive it (faciously) and the driver said "I'm not risking wrecking that thing!!"

The R8 could have also just broken down. :whistling:

I'm sure the owner would not be happy with his car getting over 1000 extra miles on it either.

17. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

IIRC the F1 had no technology in it. No traction control, no radio, no ABS. I wonder if this one will have a radio in it.

18. JMS

JMS 02

It had a sound system, developed by Kenwood, built to be as light as possible.

19. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

There are mega-yachts capable of crossing any ocean which are often placed on a sort of "rollback" ship to be transported across the Atlantic to the Mediterranean for the summer.

These transport ships can carry 5 or 6 100-foot yachts at once. They're designed to partially submerge so the yacht can be floated onto the deck of the ship, then the transport ship pumps the ballast water out to raise it back up to normal height above the waterline.

They'll go and retrieve each of the 5 or 6 yachts scheduled for transport and when all are loaded they'll make the trip across to the south of France or wherever where the yachts will be unloaded to spend a summer of partying in the Med.

These are yachts designed for ocean voyaging anywhere, in any weather, but the owners sometimes use this transport service so the liability and risk can be borne by the transport company.

20. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

wow, this is pretty cool

[​IMG]