close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Uh-Oh... I think I broke it... (Gen3 Glock27)

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by baximus, Aug 19, 2014.

1. baximus

baximus

Apr 24, 2013
    So after 100-150 rds last night at the range, making that 4-500 in the last week (Got a lot of ammo as a gift:wow:).

After (finally) cleaning it last night, to my horror I noticed a left over plastic piece, which appeared to have snapped off of the frame.

I'll be the first to tell you I'm a novice handgun enthusiast and shooter, coming from a primarily trap shooting childhood, so excuse how dumb/uninformed I may be. I just could use a little advice!

I know glock is supposed to be good with customer service and replacing broken parts or whole guns, but I'd like to know what I'm talking about while describing the issue, so without further ado, here are the crappy pictures I took :rofl:

[​IMG]

^^the culprit???

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any help on what exactly that is, as well as my next steps with block/local smith would be much appreciated!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  2. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

Apr 5, 1999
    Central Florida
    What Ammo were you using? call Glock and describe the problem
    Sorry couldn't be of more help

3. baximus

baximus

Apr 24, 2013
    Was using their range ammo, but usually buy the "mega pack" remington boxes of 250, so thats the ammo the fun is "used to".

And you were most certainly of help, thank you!

4. cciman

cciman

Jan 19, 2009
    SW Ohio
    I would be the first to call the pictures crappy. It would help to orient the pictures the right way, and have a closer view of where the piece came from.

My initial reaction is: relax, don't worry.
    Can you tell if that piece was supporting anything structural?- being plastic, that is unlikely. I would say it is is an unimportant piece, if the slide rail is still solid.

Email Glock the pics (better ones).

5. baximus

baximus

Apr 24, 2013
    I apologize for the quality of the pictures, not anywhere near a competent photographer or gunsmith, so I wasn't even sure what to take pictures of. Was hoping it'd be obvious to everyone but me:crying:

Headed to work but will get better pics up asap, thanks so much for the response.

I think it was attached to another plastic piece towards the rear of the slide, specifically to the right of the face plate. The slide does seem to "scrape" more now....

6. Wil Ufgood

Wil Ufgood GTDS #88 CLM

Mar 20, 2009
    Out There
    Hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like your rear frame rail sheared off.

Saw the lightened pics, not frame rail

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  7. ChrisJn

ChrisJn "Old Bill"

Dec 30, 2008
    Baldwin Co, Alabama
    You didn't take the firing pin out by chance did you? Almost looks like it could be a spring cup.
    I took the liberty of lightening two of your images to be able to see more detail and I don't think the piece is from the back plate or the frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. ChrisJn

ChrisJn "Old Bill"

Dec 30, 2008
    Baldwin Co, Alabama
    Just lightened up the offending piece ... it is not a spring cup!

[​IMG]

9. baximus

baximus

Apr 24, 2013
    Thank you all for your responses, and especially chris for editing my photos for me. I'm going to try and take a few more well lit detailed shots. Its clearly a "plastic" piece, and also definitely broke off as opposed to popped out of place.

Haven't had a chance to full break it down, though it must have been something accessible with a simple field strip as that is all I did to it last night.

The only difference I can note in the firearms operation is the slide feels a little rough when being retracted. Additionally, when replacing the slide from being broken down, it is difficult to align the frame and slide and get them to "click".

pictures to come after I stop feeling like I'm still at work... :(

10. TommiT

TommiT

Nov 14, 2012
    A real puzzler. Everything behind the magazine tube looks standard. I even pulled apart my carry gun, unloaded it, and removed the slide to compare frames. You didn't show us anything forward of the magazine tube and you didn't show the magazine or take it apart, so maybe something in there broke loose. Otherwise, I haven't a clue' but it sure looks standard to me.

11. ChrisJn

ChrisJn "Old Bill"

Dec 30, 2008
    Baldwin Co, Alabama
    In one of your images the connector appears to be sitting too high. Perhaps something has broken internally?

[​IMG]

12. jfost11

jfost11

Aug 18, 2012
    In the woods, VA
    What does the inside of that rear slide cover look like? I'm looking over my gen 3 27 now. Without stripping the frame down, I can't see that piece fitting anywhere on the Glock parts pictured.

13. RS7

RS7

May 1, 2004
    I think CrisJn is on to something. I just pulled the slides on three Glocks and the connectors are nowhere near that high. Check the trigger mechanism housing. Keep us up to date. I haven't seen this one before.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  14. d123gaw

d123gaw

Aug 28, 2012
    Not in KY anymore
    I would guess rear slide cover piece but I don't know how those aftermarket covers are made. Could be something way different.

15. cciman

cciman

Jan 19, 2009
    SW Ohio
    I don't see where the plastic could be coming from.