close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ugh...Glock 34 Gen 4

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by CCBBKK, Feb 6, 2012.

Tags:
  1. CCBBKK

CCBBKK

I just pick up a Glock 34 Gen 4 from my FFL. It has the worst trigger I have felt on a glock. I have four other Gen 3 Glocks. I have been quite satisfied with the triggers on those: a little creep with a fairly clean break. But, this new Glock 34 Gen 4 has sooooo much creep. After taking up the slack in the trigger, it needs to travel another 2-3 mm before it breaks. With my other glocks, after taking up the slack, the trigger only needs to move another 0.5-1 mm before it breaks. I know that the trigger pull on these Gen 4's are a little heavier than the trigger pulls on the Gen3's. But, is this how these Gen 4's are coming. With miles of creep, before the trigger breaks? Just terrible.

2. jbclark187

jbclark187

Ya, I felt the same way about the minus connector in mine - not too impressive.

Dropped in the cheapie Ghost 3.5# connector and it's a million times better. Minus connector just sits in the parts box. Might be a winner on some guns, but I don't like it on the Gen4 34 at all.

3. CCBBKK

CCBBKK

Thanks for the reply, jbclark187. I started thinking that there might be something wrong with my Gen 4. I think I'll give that ghost connector a try.

4. Radian

Radian

It is a game gun or going to be used for self defense?

If its a game gun, there are plenty of things to do to make it cleaner.

They all suck new, a dremmel and some polish work wonders.

5. Eric2340

Eric2340 Infidel :)

Glock has screwed up something w/ their newer trigger bars, maybe it's the redesign w/ the added curve where the trigger spring attaches to keep them from breaking?

I keep hearing about all these Gen 4 guns where the triggers feel like *****, and I know the one in my new G21SF does too, and mine is NOT the only one I keep hearing about. :(

6. CCBBKK

CCBBKK

It will be for IDPA and plate matches. I wanted to make sure there wasn't something inherently wrong with this particular pistol before I made any modifications to it. I started wondering if something was out of spec with this particular pistol, as all my other Gen 3's had better triggers out of the box.

7. RYT 2BER

RYT 2BER

I recently posted about the setup I dropped in my new g24... slightly longer than your 34... my trigger felt really good out of the box but I did the rocket with lighter springs... a strong wind could get this thing to break... maybe try different connector and springs?

Then again, the 24 is really a gen3 equivalent...so maybe it's different

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  8. Radian

Radian

Nope the factory trigger is kinda rough.

Competition spring set combined with an lonewolf (glockmeister, whatever) connector and some polishing make it much better. Glockmeister has a drop in trigger with a reset stop (basically a set screw) I like but its a matter of taste.

You don't need the high dollar titanium striker and plunger (if you wan't it no harm in a game gun) and other very expensive parts.

Polish up everything with a dremmel and you're all set.

Oh if you have the stock adjustable sights they suck, so be sure to buy anything else, they are easy to knock out of zero. Especially in IDPA.

9. woolecox

woolecox

Yes just picked up a G34 Gen 4 a couple of days ago and first trip to the range was very disappointing. After being a long time Glock owner (G19 & G22) and sending thousands of rounds down range with them, this one misses the mark "out of the box".

After reading and hearing all the hype about this gun being an IDPA competitor "out of the box" and how some folks actually compete with it with no mods, I have to say bull crap!

First of all; I picked up two 100 round boxes of target loads (PMC & Winchester 115 FMJ's). I shot about 150 rounds through it with numerous FTE's/FTF's and stove pipes. Could not make it through one mag with out two or three failures of some kind. Also on the last shot, the slide would not lock to the rear. "Click" sickening feeling in a match. When I shot my heavy defensive hand loads through it (147 XTP's), I had no failures of any kind. Obviously this is a spring issue that I will address with my dealer and Glock Inc. this week.

Second: Sights; mine came with adjustable sights but still with the sights maxed out the gun grouped six inches high at 15 yards. The further the distance, the higher it grouped.

Third: Trigger; as others have said, heavy, creepy, and gross over travel. Much worse than the other Glocks I own.

All of these things are fixable and I will fix them. But why!!! It is almost like Glock started making their guns in China. On a positive note, I did shoot tiny little groups with it when I could get it to function. I paid top dollar for this gun and expected much more.

10. austinmc

austinmc

Had the same problem with my 34 I picked up Wednesday. The 147gr cured the problem. Hope it breaks in to be able to use 115. Please let me know what you find out from Glock.

11. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo

12. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

I put a gen3 trigger bar in my gen4 23 and its much better. Plus ghost 3.5.

13. DFin

DFin

Do the Gen 3's made in the last 2 years have the bump on the trigger bar?

14. jbclark187

jbclark187

If the slide does not lock back, that means one of two things:

Faulty magazine (unlikely since a new pistol)

Underpowered ammo. Since you said the gun functioned well with your 147gr load, why put the blame on the gun? Where is it written that ever gun will like every type of ammo?

Every Glock firing/feeding/ejection problem I've ever had can be attributed to WWB ammo. Name one other product category where you can use the cheapest product one the market and DEMAND flawless performance?

Shoot different ammo or tune your recoil system for the bum ammo you are shooting.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  15. woolecox

woolecox

I have six Glock Inc. mags for the gun and same problem with all them. It's not the mag.

The "bum" ammo is the same Winchester and PMC that we all have been shooting in our IDPA league for years and has functioned flawlessly in every other Glock, M&P, XD, STI, Kahr, Kimber, etc. that is shot during the course of fire. And by the way, we (4 of us) shot that same ammo from the same boxes through a Kahr, and Ruger auto's that day with no malfunctions. It's not the ammo, it' not Glock, it's this Glock!

I don't want to have to shoot my high powered defensive +P 147's in competition all the time (though sometimes I do for realism and some matches require power factors). Most of the time I would prefer a lighter target load like everyone else I'm competing with shoots through every other gun they/we own. The problem lies squarely with this GUN.

The ammo did not cause the sight to be useless or the trigger to suck either. I love Glock' as much as the next guy but they got this one wrong!

I will post my findings.
    Thanks,
    Wooly

16. SPIN2010

SPIN2010 Searching ...

Trigger action was the deciding factor for me in trading off my Gen4 G21 for an SR1911 ... the trigger for me was awful.

17. woolecox

woolecox

That's true but that is something that I always expect to have to improve on. I've been shooting my Gen 3 G22 for 4 years in IDPA with no mod's to the trigger. Still nothing like a well tuned 1911.

18. rootpass

rootpass

I have a Gen 4 35 and a .25 trigger job made it just like my other Glocks. It is probably my favorite.... probably.

19. woolecox

woolecox

Took my G34 Gen 4 back to the store where I purchased it last week. This is the same place that I shoot IDPA every Wed night in a league shoot. Lots of Glock fans and users here.

Right away one of the smiths said it was a "break in issue". I had cleaned and lubed the gun after the first range session. He grabbed a handful of PMC 115 ball ammo and shot two mags with no issues at all. Same deal with some of my hand loads and even the cheap Wal-Mart white box Whinchester. The Win loads did have trouble reliably locking the slide to the rear on the last shot but that eventually went away too.

The sight problem was fixed with a set of Avantage Tactical sights. These sights are drift adjustable in the rear for windage and the front sight has shims for elevation adjustment. I got it all zeroed and locktighted everything down. Now the gun shoots where I am aiming. I had never used or seen these sight before but did not take me long to become a big fan. Check it out at www.advantagetactical.com

The gun does shoot very well (group wise). I will fit a Bar-Sto barrel and do a trigger job on it and call it good.

I am now a happy camper again!!! And I can recommend this gun to all who are looking. Just keep in mind that it will take about 400 rounds to break it in. And if you are a target/competition shooter, you will need a trigger or trigger job as well.

Regards,
    Wooly

20. woolecox

woolecox

Disregard this post.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012