close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ubuntu: So close, you can almost touch it?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by IndyGunFreak, Jan 2, 2013.

1. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    So what do you think it is? (if you don't know.. http://www.ubuntu.com ). As of right now, the countdown timer shows about 5hrs, 45min.

Canonical apparently kept this one a pretty closely guarded secret.... as even some of the folks I know who do some dev work, have no idea.

Most seem to be thinking a tablet/phone OS, probably based on Unity (since touchscreens was part of the goal of Unity anyway). Seems it will be a tough market to break into. That's obvious when you see how Microsoft has completely flopped it's tablet OS launch. I have a feeling Canonical will do better than that, but I guess we'll have to see.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  2. In general I'm not an Ubuntu guy, but if the developed a nice version of linux that would work well on a tablet I'd use it. I'd love to have a tablet that ran pure linux (well, without jumping through hoops).

It's possible now, but mainly the UI is the problem. I'm not sure what the announcement was, the countdown is a zero but I don't see any links to any sort of press release or something.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013

3. Apparently they are trying to get into the smart phone game. Its a 2 dog race at this point, I'm underwhelmed.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

4. DragonRider

DragonRider

Jun 6, 2002
    NoVA
    Agreed!

and with RIM/HTC having issues should have been a clue...

5. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    Yeah... This will be interesting. Kind of a long video, but the phone seems to have a lot of nice features. Note, if you want to skip past him talking, and just see him demonstrating the phone and its capabilities, skip to about 6:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpWHJDLsqTU

I agree though, this is going to be a very tough market to crack. Remember though, when Android came out, everyone said there was no way it could take away much of the iPhone's user base. Now, I believe there's more Android phones in use than iPhones.

We'll see.

6. It's possible, but I doubt Conical can do it.

Honestly, over the years they have talked about doing a whole lot of cool things (aside from Ubuntu) and none of it has really panned out.

7. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    Very true.. but this is the first time (to my knowledge) they've actually launched something other than their 1. free operating system 2. their cloud service.

Just remember, Shuttleworth is a gazillionaire and will have a lot of $$ to throw at this.

We'll see.

8. Linux3

Linux3

Dec 31, 2008
    Why do people buy a particular smart phone?
    Because of the O.S.? I doubt it.

a) In many cases I think it's because it's what friends have.
    b) Followed by "Cool" either real or perceived.
    c) Then maybe features.
    d) Is price in there?

No doubt people think Apple is cool. (b and c)
    Lots of people have Android and they are cheaper. (a, d and a touch of b)

Is Ubuntu any of the above? I don't think so.
    That's Microsoft's problem and I kind of doubt that Ubuntu will fair any better.

But true, true Shuttleworth is very rich and no fool.

9. Detectorist

Detectorist

Jul 16, 2008
    Missouri
    More choices is always better.

10. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Apr 30, 2005
    At best an Ubuntu phone OS might become a niche product. one that fans would load on their devices. I don't see any phone manufacturer jumping on the bandwagon.

The smartphone market is driven by app ecosystem. Ubuntu has none.

Another major hurdle for widespread acceptance is going to be the fact that the carriers will NOT tolerate a true open source phone that they cannot lock down.

11. Toyman

Toyman

May 6, 2003
    West Michigan
    I watched the video, looks like it has some really neat features. I would just be worried about it taking forever to boot like WebOS did.

12. This. Unfortunately.

Sent from my orifice.

13. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana

14. duncan

duncan Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Feb 15, 1999
    Seattle