close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope) released!

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by jtm62, Apr 23, 2009.

1. jtm62

jtm62 CLM

Hey all,

9.04 was just released. I'm in the process of downloading all four versions and upgrading my laptop!

Just thought I'd share. Good luck!

2. Specks

Specks

I'm downloading the desktop version. It's slow going, only at 25% and still about 2 hours remaining.

3. jtm62

jtm62 CLM

All four of my downloads have completed (desktop 32&66 + server 32&64)

I averaged 250Kb/s at http://releases.ubuntu.com/releases/9.04/

I'm burning the CDs now.

ETA: I'm also upgrading my laptop from 8.10 and it is taking forever, only averaging 60Kb/s I have half the packages and I still have 2.5 hours to go, just on the download.

4. Specks

Specks

eh, I was using a mirror, apparently a slow one. I just started a download from the url you listed, getting twice the download speed now.

5. jtm62

jtm62 CLM

Awesome! I was planning on doing a fresh install on my sister's laptop, it has been overheating lately and it had a meltdown in the middle of the install. :steamed::faint: Guess I'll wait a few hours for it to cool off and try again.

6. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

When there's new releases like this, use the Torrents, they are almost always cooking. The servers will begin to get bogged down tonight as kids get out of school, etc..

IGF

7. jtm62

jtm62 CLM

ugh.

Still having problems with my broadcom card.

it's a 4306/3

The drivers are installed and the card turns on... it just won't connect to a WPA network. I'm getting ready to test it against WEP and no security.

8. MavsX

MavsX The Dude Abides

yeah man. ubuntu's site is slow today. obviously, we know why. I'm going to wait a little bit before doing this. Just because i don't want to spend 5 hrs doing it.

9. jtm62

jtm62 CLM

10. Specks

Specks

Torrents are one thing I haven't really used before and would need a good primer/tutorial. Know of one you can point me to or should I just google it?

11. Specks

Specks

12. jtm62

jtm62 CLM

Download a client, if you are using windows. I use Vuse on my windows machines. On my Linux box's I use what comes with the OS.

As far as a guide, you really only need on if you plan on creating and uploading torrents. If you just want to download and seed than just google search what you are looking for.

I just searched for a torrent of 9.04 and the top return was the release page I pointed you to earlier... the torrents are at the bottom in an FTP type display. When you select one it prompts you to download in your bit-torrent client of choice.

13. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Just finished installing on my Desktop...

The install, went fine.. didn't take long at all. I'm amazed at how much faster 9.04 boots, as opposed to 8.10, not that it was ever a major issue for me, but there is a major difference.

The biggest problem I'm running into, is the freakin repositories are SLOWWWW right now. Probably from all the people reinstalling software, etc. So I've got the basics installed, I'll probably wait a few days to tweak the system just how I want.

Looks good so far though..

IGF

14. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Did you upgrade from the package manager update or torrent?

15. EagleOne716

EagleOne716 Guest

I have a ASUS 900 Netbook
    Is it set up for netbooks yet...or do I need to wait?

16. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I did a complete clean install... I don't upgrade OS's.. never have, even w/ Windoze. I just do clean installs. I backed all the important stuff up to a separate partition, downloaded the ISO, burned it, and and the installed it over 8.10

When I say the repositories are slow.. just as an example, I just tried to install Xchat... which usually, would take all of about 30-40sec.... Its going on about 3min, and is only 9% complete. Like I said, its pretty clear things are just overwhelmed right now.. and it should even out in a few days.

IGF

17. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

If you're referring to Ubuntu-eee or whatever it is.. thats a separate project.. I don't know when they'll have 9.04 ready.

Ubuntu has 9.04 w/ the NBR.. its not optimized for the eee, like ee ubuntu is... You'll have to download the image and put it on a thumb drive.. just follow the instructions.

See the UNR USB version below.... I think there's a link to instructions also.

http://ubuntu-mirror.cs.colorado.edu/releases/jaunty/

18. Linux3

Linux3

Guess I'm switching back to Ubuntu from Fedora.
    It's this that puts me over the edge:
    https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Kubuntu/Kde3/Jaunty

I have tried to like KDE4.2 and also Gnome but I think KDE 3.5 is the ultimate in WM. Sounds like I am not the only one to miss KDE 3.5 if there is a project to put it back in Kubuntu.

19. betyourlife

betyourlife on a GLOCK

So how does everyone like it so far? I just got 8.10 a week ago and configured the way I want (music player, etc.)

Is it worth switching this early? Or should I play around with what I have now first?

20. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

ah, I probably wouldn't switch this soon, just remember, Ubuntu has a hard, 6mo release cycle... so there's gonna be another version out in October. You've got a stable system that you're happy with.. no real reason to rock the boat, unless you absolutely need or want to.

I did get past my first minor annoyance with it this evening... On my main PC, I have dual monitors, and instead of one panel on the top and bottom of each monitor, I just have one long panel, along the top of both monitors(although technically, its two panels... 1 on top of each monitor).

Well, when I want to play Urban Terror, I have to disable monitor 2, which kicks that second panel over to monitor 1. Well, what I used to do, was when I enabled the second monitor when I was done playing, I just drag and drop it back where i want it on the top of monitor 2. Well, it wouldn't drag, and I was actually getting fairly torqued about it..lol, because its been drag and drop for as long as I've used Linux.. Apparently, Ubuntu decided to make it where you had to hold Alt, and then drag and drop.. :)

Also, for those of you a bit experienced w/ just Restarting X w/ Control Alt Backspace... that has been disabled in 9.04. If this is a feature you use and need (which I do).. open a terminal and run... "sudo apt-get install dontzap" no quotes. When that installs, run the following command "sudo dontzap --disable"... You should just go right back to your prompt, with no errors. That will add an entry to your Xorg.conf, then after your Next Restar(so Xorg.conf reloads) Control Alt Backspace will work like it always has...

IGF

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009