close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Ubuntu 10.10 - Cann't Get Compiz Cube Running

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by duncan, Feb 21, 2011.

1. duncan

duncan Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Feb 15, 1999
    Seattle
    I know it's a noob question. Been to ubuntuforums but no specific answer. Read more than a dozen how-tos and I still am missing something.

I have installed Compiz and Compiz Fusion.

But everytime I try to start the cube by turning on special effects in the Appearance menu, I get a message stating that Mutter is running.

I've logged off and back on under Gnome and see that I can turn on Special Effects there.

I have opened terminals and confirmed the routine that shows the gears if your graphics card/chip will support. It works.

Running this on an ASUS Eee 1.6 ghz Atom Processor with 100 gigs of partition.

I want this:

[​IMG]

Anyone know how to get this puppy running?

2. Linux3

Linux3

Dec 31, 2008

3. duncan

Feb 15, 1999
    Seattle
    Thanks Linux3.

I feared that after installing compiz through terminal - so proud of myself - I then thought - dang - this Atom processor might not support da cube.

4. duncan

Feb 15, 1999
    Seattle
  5. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

Jul 14, 2005
    With Amber Lamps
    My MSI netbook has the same Intel netbook graphics as the Asus netbook and the cube works fine in Knoppix Linux. In Knoppix, 3d open GL is enabled for Intel graphics and Compiz is installed and enabled by default. It has the cube as soon as it first boots.

6. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

Jul 14, 2005
    With Amber Lamps
    It looks like it may be an issue with Ubuntu 10.10.

7. duncan

Feb 15, 1999
    Seattle
  8. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

Jul 14, 2005
    With Amber Lamps
    I saw some workarounds, but most looked liked they didn't stay after a reboot. Anything is worth a try.

9. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    It should work. I've ran Compiz on my Aspire One (pretty sure we have the same Intel graphics chipset)... and everything was fine.

Go through Compiz Configuration Settings again, and double check everything.

10. duncan

Feb 15, 1999
    Seattle
    Even in Gnome, I cannot adjust the number of destops greater that one which is why I don't have a cube:dunno:

11. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    type lspci in a terminal and hit enter, and find your graphics device, and post it here....

If you go to system/preferences/appearance/Visual effects... Set it to "Extra" Do you get an error that desktop effects cannot be enabled? If Desktop effects enables (make sure you choose to "Keep Settings" when you choose Extra)... If you move Windows around, do you get the "Wobbly Windows" effect?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  12. duncan

Feb 15, 1999
    Seattle
    Well guys, I have it running on the Gnome side under Ubuntu Desktop and I'm happy.

Just took some tinkering.

Thanks.