close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ubuntu 10.04 success story

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by TBO, May 12, 2010.

1. TBO

TBO
    Expand Collapse
    Why so serious?
    CLM
    1. The Outpost Lounge

I have an older IBM Thinkpad laptop with XP that I discarded well almost 2 years ago due to buggy issues (mainly the wireless was inconsistent, to the point I put in a PCMA card, which again, was inconsistent).

I tried Ubuntu 9.10 before, but it didn't pick up the wireless (and I didn't want to mess around trying to get it to work, as I'm no tech).

Well, being the curious guy I am, before tossing it out this week (spring cleaning), I decided to try Ubuntu 10.04.

It booted from the disc and the wireless worked!

I did a full install and now have a nice "over the road" laptop that I'm not afraid to lose/abuse/have stolen.

:cool:

2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

That's great.

I've revitalized old hardware more than once. Before I had a wireless network, I needed a PC for a very specific purpose down in my basement(light internet and a spreadsheet). I was gonna build a cheapo PC, but found a complete PC w/ monitor at a pawn shop for $125(HP something).

It was slower than molasses w/ Windows. I installed Debian on it and ran cat6 to it, and it ran perfectly for 3yrs. Power supply went kaput, and by then I had wireless access, so I now I use my netbook in the basement and tossed the old PC. If I'd have known someone that "needed" a computer, I'd have tossed a power supply in it and gave it to them, as it ran fine otherwise.

IGF

3. Linux3

Linux3
    Expand Collapse

Great story.
    What model Thinkpad, just out of idle curiosity? I have a T23 and that's the great thing about Thinkpads, they never die!