close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Ubuntu 10.04 success story

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by TBO, May 12, 2010.

1. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

I have an older IBM Thinkpad laptop with XP that I discarded well almost 2 years ago due to buggy issues (mainly the wireless was inconsistent, to the point I put in a PCMA card, which again, was inconsistent).

I tried Ubuntu 9.10 before, but it didn't pick up the wireless (and I didn't want to mess around trying to get it to work, as I'm no tech).

Well, being the curious guy I am, before tossing it out this week (spring cleaning), I decided to try Ubuntu 10.04.

It booted from the disc and the wireless worked!

I did a full install and now have a nice "over the road" laptop that I'm not afraid to lose/abuse/have stolen.

:cool:

2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    That's great.

I've revitalized old hardware more than once. Before I had a wireless network, I needed a PC for a very specific purpose down in my basement(light internet and a spreadsheet). I was gonna build a cheapo PC, but found a complete PC w/ monitor at a pawn shop for $125(HP something).

It was slower than molasses w/ Windows. I installed Debian on it and ran cat6 to it, and it ran perfectly for 3yrs. Power supply went kaput, and by then I had wireless access, so I now I use my netbook in the basement and tossed the old PC. If I'd have known someone that "needed" a computer, I'd have tossed a power supply in it and gave it to them, as it ran fine otherwise.

IGF

3. Linux3

Linux3

Dec 31, 2008
    Great story.
    What model Thinkpad, just out of idle curiosity? I have a T23 and that's the great thing about Thinkpads, they never die!