Two recent shooting involving .22 round to the head. Not effective at all!!

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by BIGGUNS911, Mar 18, 2013.

1. The two attached news reports are about subjects being shot in the head with .22 caliber rounds. In both the subject lived, in one the victim was shot several times and was still able to get to a gun in his nightstand. I would say .22 is not my first thought for self defense.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Recent SD shooting outside Atlanta in news GATE Self-Defense Forum Jan 8, 2013
    Massad Ayoob on recent ESB shooting Carry Issues Aug 30, 2012
    Recent Shooting/Observations Black Rifle Forum Apr 5, 2012
    Recent shootings Gun-Control Issues Dec 12, 2011
    Dashcam video of a recent shooting in Lafayette Cop Talk Nov 19, 2011

3. maybe they should live by the motto: Anything worth shooting once, is worth shooting again.....and again....and again... and again... ( .22 are cheap, fill'em up!)

4. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

The .22 bullet failed to penetrate the frontal skull. No surprise there. Get a 9mm or larger.
  5. A coworker of mine survived .32 to the head, 2 to the lower torso and 1 to the leg..... from her then husband, all from arm length distance's.

Sometimes shot placement is not the key......
  6. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

:headscratch: So, your point is?

There's not enough information in either one of those articles to establish anything, either one way or the other, about the presumed effectiveness, or lack thereof, of a, '22'.

You need to remember that the Western World's covert military agencies haven't, almost unanimously, used rimfire 22 LR caliber cartridges AND head shots for the past 50 years because the cartridge doesn't work. Read the book, 'Hit Team' about the Israeli Mossad's European operations during the mid 1970's. Were he, still, alive Chicago mobster Sam Giancana might tell you different about what a 22 LR is capable of, too! ;)

I got hit with a 22 (LR) once; it knocked me off my feet! Have you ever been hit by a marble fired out of a Saunders, 'Wrist Rocket' slingshot? One of those suckers hits hard enough to make you, 'convert to Catholicism'; and, still, a rimfire 22 LR round hits a lot harder than a marble out of a, 'Wrist Rocket'. (Don't bother asking, 'How' I know!) :supergrin:
    #5 Arc Angel, Mar 18, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  7. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

Well I'll keep on carrying my peasant's weapon, thank you very much. My G17 has been on duty since 1989.
    #7 SCmasterblaster, Mar 18, 2013
  8. [​IMG]
  9. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

My two M1911a1 .45s stay locked up. My G17 with 115gr JHP +P+ ammo stays by my side. My Mossberg M500 shotgun is also ready for trouble (OOO buckshot and slugs).

10. [​IMG]
    #10 Wil Ufgood, Mar 18, 2013
  11. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

#11 CanyonMan, Mar 18, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  12. and you said it!

oh, and why the heck would anyone shoot a visitor :rofl:
  13. :rofl:
  14. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

What the heck happened to that G20?
  15. Internet pic. I've only seen one Glock kaboom in person, at an IDPA match. It was a G22.
  16. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

The second story doesn't say if the parents were killed.
  17. Little Joe

Platinum Member

We had one guy up here get shot with one .22 round to the chest and he died on the spot. It probably pierced his heart, I would imagine. Another guy was killed with one shot to the chest at point blank range from a .25 auto. It looks like chest shots are more effective with these calibers.
  18. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

The only thick bone in the way is the sternum. The skull is known to stop .22s and .25s.

19. Chest, chest, nuts, will probably stop them.