Two Portland Men Open Carry Rifles To Educate About Gun Rights

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by HKLovingIT, Jan 11, 2013.

1. I agree. Stand up for them people. Might not be the best way to go about it but good for them. Stand up for what is right. If you dont like it dont live in Oregon. Go hide with the democrats in California.

Found this on another forum.

"Support OC, CC, and noC - the real point is that we support the individual right, the freedom, to make that decision.

Regarding infighting and open dissension, yes we can be our own worst antagonists. "We have met the enemy and he is us."

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #21 splitfinger09, Jan 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  2. I think you've got 'em pegged. I've always suspected that the OC activist types engaged in that sort of conduct because they wanted to be the center of attention, and knew they'd never get it at a nudist camp.

3. ...bet they suck tremendously at any card game, never show your hand. EVER.

4. RPVG

At my age, I ask, "Do I really have to?"

5. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist
    Lifetime Member

:rofl::rofl:

You and me both Brother.

6. :agree:
    :goodpost:

When we scare people and when we take people who are on the fence and turn them against us, we hurt our cause and become our own enemies.

:rofl::rofl:

7. Aren't these the same guys who go around their small Oregon town open carrying ARs and film their encounters with local cops?

8. Dont get me wrong what they did was stupid and not very well thought out. At the end of the day though they did not break any laws and did what they have every right to do. I support them because I support the second ammendment.

#28 splitfinger09, Jan 12, 2013
  9. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936
    Millennium Member

Its 2013... people are going to call and report people strolling around with rifles. Police will have to waste time making contact and all the while.. real calls are waiting on their attention.

All kinds of things are not illegal but at the same time, they are not prudent. "in your face" activism rarely sits well with people, no matter what side of the fence they are on.

#29 FireForged, Jan 12, 2013
  10. TBO

TBO Why so serious?
    CLM

I support personal rights.
    I support civil rights.
    I support Constitutional rights.
    I support legal actions.

Just because I support the above does not mean I support stupid actions.

11. Well said. Just remember "Support OC, CC, and noC - the real point is that we support the individual right, the freedom, to make that decision." We cannot waiver on our views. Either support legal gun action or not.

12. TBO

TBO Why so serious?
    CLM

I do not support stupid gun action, even if it's "legal".

13. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist
    Lifetime Member

And this is precisely what is wrong with many's thinking.

Simply because something is legal does not make it right, prudent, or effective.

it's interesting that so many who disparage the State turn around and form their philosophy and ethics from the state.
    They let the state determine what is right or wrong. based solely on what is legal and what is illegal.

The state does not determine my views on ethics or right and wrong. it can only tell me what is legal and what is illegal.

#33 Dragoon44, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  14. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist
    Lifetime Member

+1, if something is stupid it is stupid whether it is legal or not.

I don't support stupid.

15. RPVG

The natural result of moral relativism. There's no "right" and "wrong", no "good" and "bad" anymore. Just "legal" and "illegal".

<sarcasm>
    We don't need no steenkin' Morality.
    </sarcasm>

16. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist
    Lifetime Member

+1 as Allan Bloom predicted 30 years ago, the abandonment of Absolute truth in favor of moral relativism and situational ethics was producing generations that would be cynical, self centered, and amoral."

17. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT Resident Evil

I don't think it does anything to promote gun rights education. I think it probably antagonizes people and may push fence sitters off the fence the wrong way.

Look at it like this, if an anti gun activist was walking up and down your block with a megaphone ranting about stuff it would probably irritate you and it certainly wouldn't sway your opinion. If these young men want to educate people about gun rights then they should put on a jacket and tie, print up some literature and hit the streets to make their case.

That they stated in the article they thought people would approach them for conversation while carrying ARs is an indicator that they didn't think this through very well.

The best I can say is good thought, sharing information about gun rights, but really nonsensical execution. There are lots of things that are legal to do that aren't necessarily wise to do.

18. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist
    Lifetime Member

And this demonstrates the usual bi polar nature of thought among OC activists and many Gun rights folks. They can believe to distinct and opposite things are equally true.

On one hand they maintain that the world is a far to dangerous place to go unarmed. There are people out there that want to hurt you. They also maintain that OC is an effective deterrent against criminals.

But then they equally believe that other citizens should not be alarmed by unknown individuals openly displaying firearms or even carrying rifle in their hands.

Apparently these people are NOT supposed to believe that there are people out there wanting to hurt them and the sight of an unknown person with a firearm is not supposed to disturb them at all.

19. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

#39 Bill Lumberg, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  20. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

Good point. I have discussed similarities in point of view and differences with Amnesty International signature gatherers late last year while working in San Francisco. In that liberal Mecca the AI volunteers were polite even while we disagreed. I always ended the interaction by wishing them a good day and they said the same. They never converted me but they also never alienated a potential supporter while in my presence.