close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Two Inch Mini Shells

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by dagnabbit, Mar 27, 2009.

1. dagnabbit

dagnabbit the voices...

Feb 2, 2005
    slippery slope
    I heard about mini shells and all the probs involved in cycling them through, but those all seemed to be one and a half and one and three quarter inch sizes. I came across some two inchers with 6 pellets of OO and bought a couple of boxes, thinking that lengthening them up a tad might have taken care of the situation.
    They cycle through my mossy 500 perfectly and I'm taking them to the range to test them out. Advertised velocity is 1250.
    They would seem to be ideal softer recoil HD, especially for smaller framed shooters, and of course the added bonus is ten rounds of goodness in the tube instead of seven.
    Anybody have any experience with these?

2. Gribble

Gribble R. Shackleford

Nov 15, 2008
    The Box

3. silentpoet

silentpoet

Jan 11, 2007
    This Old Caddy
    Should be Aguilla I think. I am not familiar with them other than what I have read. However at the local gunstore all they have is birdshot and it is more expensive than the reduced recoil buck shot in the next bin.

4. dagnabbit

dagnabbit the voices...

Feb 2, 2005
    slippery slope
    Centurion, made in Italy.
    I took a box out to the desert and tried it out. As I mentioned they cycled through just fine without firing. I loaded five and ran through them, then staggered the rest with normal 2 and 3/4 inch buckshot.
    They loaded and ejected just fine, no hangups, so lengthening those problematic inch and a half and inch and 3/4 to two inches apparently worked, at least in my 500.
    Recoil was substantially reduced. I guess six pellets at 100 f/s less than standard velcity really tamed the kick.
    My impression? Even though they feed just fine and you can stuff more in the mag, they aren't my cup of tea and I'll stick with the usual ammo, seeing as my mossy has a sidesaddle. However they'll be perfect for the mrs who wants to own a shottie. I'm getting her one of those Century arms 870 knockoffs. Handled one the other day and it's smaller, lighter and seemed well made, so extra capacity and mild recoil will be right up her alley.

5. Bohica1998

Bohica1998 Airborne

Mar 10, 2009
    Northeast Arkansas
    Did you try out the other ammo they show on that link?

That "Multi-Defense Buckshot" sounds interesting.

"One .650" RB and six #1 Buck", hmm

6. dagnabbit

dagnabbit the voices...

Feb 2, 2005
    slippery slope
    No I didn't, Bohica. I'm now near Prescott so I've been buying from J&G and they only have the OO minis.
    By the way, I've talked at length with those guys and business is up 400% this year.

7. ampdog

ampdog

Aug 11, 2008
    This is interesting. I have a lot of experience with the Aguilla shells. I even took my TIG welder to my shell elevator to lengthen it and make it more reliable with the smaller shells. Nothing works very well with the birdshot version, they are just too light and bounce around too much before feeding (jam almost everytime). However the slugs do ok, I get about 7 jams per 100 pumps with that ammo. I still have a mod or 2 up my sleeve to try and make it even better, but have not gotten around to it. It's real fun ammo to shoot!

I can't wait to try the Centurion ammo, THANKS for the link!

Also, these guy's offer a 1.8 inch, "Short Magnum Buckshot" and "Super 8 Buckshot". Some folks are selling them on gunbroker. Has anyone tried them?
    http://www.paraklesetechnologies.co...ng,+Less+lethal,+and+Highly+Lethal+ammunition

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  8. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    The Aguila shells cycled well in my Nova SP, I only had six shells on hand to test though (no more at the shop).

9. TENWHEELER

TENWHEELER

Jun 13, 2008
    I purchased a few boxes of these last week and tested them in both my 870 and Benelli Pintail.

I would not recommend using them in a semi-auto. They jammed on me on virtually every shot. Had trouble feeding and what is weird I even had trouble extracting a couple of times.

However, they cycled extremely well through my 870. Patterend well from the 870 and I probably will be loading these in my HD weapon.

10. ampdog

ampdog

Aug 11, 2008
    I just noticed. I think centurion is made by Aguila.

11. culleniii

culleniii Sporting Man Millennium Member

Oct 31, 1999
    USA
    lets compile a list of pumps it works combat reliable in--meaning no tricks/mods/have to pump it just right and hodl it this way etc.

nova

i heard worked---combat reliable?

anymore shotguns tried?

i still have the Aguilla mini-shells--only use in single shot and doubles now---they never ever worked reliably in a Winchester 1300 or Mossberg 500

i love the idea of the shells--more ammo, reduced but still enough power, and still 12 guage --lost hair and made gray tryin to get Aguila shells to cycle

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  12. hyper-glock

hyper-glock

Nov 9, 2000
    So. Central PA
    Centurion is the importer of Aguila. Centurion is not a very good company to deal with. I had some Aguila ammo that was not made to SAAMI spec and I notified Centurion. I was asked to ship them the bad ammo which I did. They said Aguila probably wouldn't do anything and asked what other caliber I would like to replace the bad stuff. I told them and then heard nothing more. All my inquiries after that go unanswered.

I figure I'm out about $75 including the ammo and shipping. No more Aguila or Centurion products for me.

13. ampdog

ampdog

Aug 11, 2008
    FYI, I bought all 3 (Aquilla (already had it), Centurion, and Paraklese) to compare.

It turns out that the Centurion and Paraklese shells are both 1.8", even though Centurion markets theirs as a 2" shell. Ofcourse, Aquilla is a 1.5" shell.

Centurion is a 6 x 00 buckshot (1250 fps w/ 18" barrel)
    Paraklese is a 9 x 00 buckshot (1300 fps w/ 18" barrel)
    Aquilla is a slug. (1250 fps w/ 18" barrel) they have birdshot too but it jams way too much because it is not heavy enough (bounces). I haven't tried their Buckshot.

Both Centurion and Paraklese cycle flawlessly in my Mossberg 500 18" barrel. I can get 7 in the tube.

The Aquilla mini-slugs cycle very well, but not flawless. They are fine as long as you pump sharp and hard. When the gun starts getting dirty and the pumps aren't so smooth you will get a few hangs where the shell doesn't line up. But, I can get 8 of these in the tube.

If you mix 5 Aquilla's and 3 Centurions or Paraklese you can still get 8 in the tube.

Also, I have extended my shell elevator + 13/16 of an inch to work with the Aquilla shells. They cycled very very poorly with the stock length shell elevator. I might make it a little longer and see if it helps, but I don't think it will.

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  14. culleniii

culleniii Sporting Man Millennium Member

Oct 31, 1999
    USA
    I just ordered 2 boxes of Centurion 00 Buck Mini Shells.

I will be testing them in a Mossberg 500, Maverick 88, and Mossberg 930 Tactical.

I will give results of reliability on here when done.

15. GLShooter

GLShooter

Jan 3, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    I've never tried the factory mini's but I do load my own 2" 12 gauge with a one ounce load of shot. They run 100% in my wifes 1100 and in my Benelli Super 90. I use components that I got at Ballistic Products. Cut down AA hulls and load on a modified MEC 650. I have done regular star crimps and roll crimps with spreaders and they do well on steel targets in the matches I shoot.

Greg L.

16. ampdog

ampdog

Aug 11, 2008
    Aquilla's are a no go in the saiga. Right off the bat they don't make the magazine happy.

I think they are pretty much off limits for all auto's.

I am surprised to hear the 2" shell's will go in the 1100's. I'm going to have to borrow my grand dads gun and give that a try.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  17. AggiePhil

AggiePhil ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Nov 21, 2004
    Texas
    Where's the best place to order these? Ammunition To Go appears to only have the Centurion Multi-Defense. I'm looking for the Mini-Buck.