Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Two Aurora Shootings, One Ignored

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by wrangler_dave9, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Oh yeah, the church drive-by shooting. Another thread covered it.

2. jph02

Jun 10, 2012
    Great article. Thanks for sharing.
  3. Caver 60

Caver 60

Jun 12, 2007
    Guess I missed the first thread. Thanks for posting this one.
  4. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Jun 20, 2002
    Well atleast that shooter got the instant justice he deserved! To bad Holmes didn't get the same justice.:steamed:
  5. Misty02

Aug 25, 2008
    Thank you for sharing this. I have shared it as well, the church shooting should not go unknown by others!

6. deputy1199

Feb 2, 2012
    I'm surprised that no off duty LEOs or armed patrons were present in the Aurora theater when this went down. Any LEO would have taken action and I'm sure that any military vet who was armed would also have responded if able to do so without endangering him/herself or others. The shooter was a coward, as demonstrated by the effort he took to "armor" himself against retaliation. But a gas mask is not bullet resistant. Accurate return fire to center body mass may not have penetrated his vest, but it could have made him reconsider his options. And a 9mm +p or .40 JHP round to the face or head probably would have wounded if not killed him. In this day and age it never ceases to amaze me that few places of public assembly have any armed security.That’s why I provide my own armed security.
  7. JW1178

Jul 17, 2009
    Of course... it doesn't meet the left wing protocal for worthy to be reported.
  8. AKRover

AKRover 10MM Fanatic

Jun 22, 2012
    Kenai, Alaska
    The theater where the shooting took place had posted signs prohibiting guns inside the theater. I'm sure there were CCW holders in the crowd but being law abiding citizens they were not armed. As for off duty LEO I always thought they could carry even where CCW holders aren't allowed to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  9. chaplain 31

chaplain 31

Nov 3, 2011

One reason he did not get instant justice is because the theater owners chose to not allow legally armed people to enter thier theater. And even though they did not shoot anyone or probably even think something like this would happen, they bear some responsibility here. They made it impossible for people legally approved by the state of Colorado to defend themselves, to do so in that situation. Unlike at the church where an armed citizen on site quickly ended the threat, no one at the mall had that opportunity or at least they didn't have it legally due to decisions made by the owners. How much more obvious can it get?
  10. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

Oct 14, 2009
    According to the info at, such "no guns" signs do not carry the weight of law.
  11. Lior

Jul 23, 2004
    Two things that need to change:
    1. Fewer gun free zones.
    2. The State of Colorado needs to get itself an e-chair.
  12. Misty02

Aug 25, 2008
    But there are many that would respect the wishes of the property owner and would either obey the sign or just go elsewhere.

Most of the time (for me) the sign means I would select one of their competitors that doesn’t have such sign, although I’ve ignored a couple of them since I started carrying. If at all possible I prefer not to do so; there is a feeling of guilt that comes with it that I prefer to avoid. I don’t really enjoy doing things that are wrong, even if they are legal.

13. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

Oct 14, 2009
    Hmmm... we live in the same part of the country / state. I just don't see those signs around here much. But, when I do, I have absolutely no problem ignoring them. Certainly, I don't feel any guilt, because it ISN'T "wrong." :cool: I place my rights and safety FAR above any of those "concerns."

What would you do if a property had a sign up that said, "no free speech?" I understand the property owner can ask you to leave for any reason. No problem. But, I'm ignoring the signs.
  14. Misty02

Aug 25, 2008
    I understand what you’re saying and don’t disagree, in theory. There is still this little voice inside my head that tells me I would like others to respect my wishes in my house so I should respect their wishes in theirs. I’m speaking of businesses here; I would not enter armed in the home/residence of someone I know is against it. There is just one person in my life that meets that criteria; she is a close relative that doesn’t know I carry, one we don’t visit often either. The handful of times we have I lock my G19 in the car safe.

Have I gone against that little voice in my head while patronizing some businesses? Yes, I have. I have also had a rather uncomfortable feeling for the duration of my stay; that tells me I’m aware I’m doing something I shouldn’t. I check websites of places I have not visited before to see if they have any rules against firearms. If they do and there is another similar place we can go, I’ll select that second choice.

At the very beginning I had no issues with it; that was a short-lived condition. I would gladly get rid of this silly and extremely annoying voice in my head if I could. :crying:

15. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

Oct 14, 2009
    Are you Jewish or Catholic (guilt)? haha! ;)
  16. Misty02

Aug 25, 2008
    :rofl:How did you ever guess?

17. amazon

Jul 11, 2010
    I personally ignore such signs. In MA they are not legally binding (not counting Fed buildings and the such). However, if asked to leave I have to - otherwise it becomes trespassing. Concealed is concealed.

OTOH, when I do see such signs there are times I choose to take my business elsewhere.
  18. Donn57

Donn57 Just me

Aug 11, 2006
    Sunny Florida
    What you're really saying is that you place your rights above the rights of the property owner. That's fine, but don't dance around it.

And a property owner certainly can legally ban any type of speech they'd like. Only the government is Constitutionally prevented from banning free speech. Glock Talk, a private business, bans free speech and yet here we all are.
  19. greentriple

Mar 11, 2010
    If what's been posted here is true than its probably safe to bet some patrons of the theatre ignore the signs or gun free zone request. If so than where there armed citizens at the movie and if so, why did they not act?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine