close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Twinkie SHTF for real!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Big Bird, Nov 15, 2012.

1. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

Jan 8, 2004
    The Twinkies that are frozen, dipped in batter, deep fried in lard and THEN smothered in sickly sweet raspberry sauce are the ones that will be most missed.

2. rhikdavis

rhikdavis U.S. Veteran

Jul 22, 2002
    In Remembrance
    I keep a box on the seat for when I get pulled over.

3. fusegsp

fusegsp

Jan 5, 2009
    Iowa
    There was a guy that went to my high school named Rip Dingdongs. Sadist, if I remember correctly.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  4. pupcuss27

pupcuss27 CLM

May 13, 2007
    INDY, USA
    All of the dentists will be taking a hit too. A lot fewer kids cavities by losing the sugar from these Twinkies.

I'm not sayin' that I didn't eat my fair share of the Hostess snacks.

RIP Twinkie ..

5. The same thing should happen with all of the government employee unions also, federal, state and local. They are overpaid and the taxpayers don't want to afford it anymore either. Unions are an anarchronism in modern days of serfdom for the masses.

6. Yertology

Yertology

Oct 28, 2012
    ten i see
    Bought the last four Twinkie boxes out of my Walmart tonight

7. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

Jan 8, 2004
    Someone just bid $76 for three boxes of Twinkies on Ebay LOL

8. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Apr 23, 2008
    Houston
    I think I won

9. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Witless Protection Program

Too big to fail, Obama's gonna buy them with our money and give them to the union for free.

10. Yertology

Yertology

Oct 28, 2012
    ten i see
    Yeah I've been watching. Do twinkies keep well? Cause I'm thinking these 4 boxes will get me a rtf2 g22 in a year or two

11. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    Someone will pick up the Twinkie brand. There's already all sorts of generics of them anyway.

I hate that Indpls is going to lose a lot of jobs to this, but I'm glad they told the thugs to pound sand..

12. berto62

berto62

Mar 28, 2009
    Alachua Fl
    They've probably been gutting the company for along time to boost short term stock value (ie not reinvesting in the plant, securing new markets etc etc.)
    You never close a profitable, well run business down out of spite for the union. Anybody who believes that is a moron. They've probably been planning this along time and are now using the strike as an excuse. I am no tax expert but business owners can claim additional tax breaks for going **** up, especially if it is due to labor strife, as well as stiffing people they owe money to. You know, just good business, nothing personal.

13. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Sunny Fla
    Actually the private equity firm that owned most of Hostess (Ripplewood) pumped more than M$170 into the company since 2009 to try to keep it afloat; M$130 in 2009 and another M$40 in 2011. What's even more fun is that the main principle of Ripplewood is a DEMOCRAT. :rofl:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2012-11-16/hostess-liquidation-curious-cast-characters-twinkie-tumbles

WP

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  14. I saw last light that someone at Pabst may buy the company.

PBR and Twinkies?

Hell Yeah!!!:supergrin:

15. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

Nov 19, 2007
    Debris Field
    That has all the makings of a reality TV show right thar...

16. devildog2067

devildog2067

Apr 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Not even a little bit true. Hostess went into bankruptcy in 2004. This management team wasn't around then. They filed again in 2012. There isn't anything in the company to "gut."

That statement was just retarded. I can't speak to their capex requirements or what they should be spending on PPE since I've never looked at the financials of a bakery business, but I'm guessing that they've been spending all of their cash on operations since, you know, they've been bankrupt.

It's not a profitable business. That's the point. If it were profitable they wouldn't have gone bankrupt twice in 8 years.

Who's the moron, exactly?

That's pretty clear.

You know what's good business? Selling products and making money. If Hostess was capable of doing that, that's what they'd be doing. Going bankrupt is the opposite of good business. No one is doing this because they want to steal one pay period worth of baker's wages. They're doing it because there's literally no cash left to run the business if they can't sell Twinkies, and they can't borrow any more.

Even in their down years they've been a multi-billion dollar business. If there was any way for them to be competitive, they'd be doing it. The "business owners" (who are now a collection of funds who have injected capital into a dying business and aren't going to get it back) would love nothing more than for their labor force to be going to work, making Ding Dongs, putting them on the truck and selling them. If that was happening, they'd be making money. As it is, they're going to lose their entire investment.

"Business owners" don't have some sort of magical economic rules that the rest of us don't know about. In almost every case when a business goes under, the business owners lose their ass. They lose their investment and future income.

17. devildog2067

devildog2067

Apr 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Yep.

Hostess will go into liquidation, someone will buy the valuable brand names without the baggage of the legacy union benefits and debt and old plants, and in a year no one will remember this happened except the people who lost their jobs.

It's the way the system is supposed to work. If I were one of those bakers I'd be chasing my union rep through the streets with a pitchfork right now.

18. Bazinga!:supergrin: