close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Twinkie SHTF for real!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Big Bird, Nov 15, 2012.

1. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

Havent read the whole thread....so maybe someone beat me to it....

Bankruptcy court today and 18500 people out of jobs as of today.

I guess it better to be unemployed and part of a union than employed and not part of a union.

2. Z71bill

Z71bill

Once a facility gets taken out by a union - there will be a reluctance for anyone to come in and buy the facility.

I have been involved with this exact situation -

In a nut shell - we were looking for a facility to produce a new product - we were short on time and wanted to buy VS build.

We found a place that was perfect - would save us millions of dollars VS building -

Problem was the facility had a history of a crazy union willing to strike - willing to drive the company out of business to get their demands met.

We passed and as far as I know the facility never was put back into use.

Union taking a company out is sort of like an environmental disaster - it leaves a lasting stain.

3. bill1725

bill1725

I feel sorry for some of the union workers that did not want to loose their job. They are out of work but the union leaders still have their income check.

4. Z71bill

Z71bill

Can you somehow sort out a "union workers that did not want to loose their job" VS one that did?

I am no expert - but have seen how things work up close a few times.

Union leaders made all sorts of promises - they get the employees all hyped up - making it into a crazy situation where people don't act in a rational way.

Solidarity!! We all must be together and if we stay together we will WIN.

Then BAM they are all out of a job.

I bet all but a few are wondering WTF did I just do? Why did I allow some smooth talking idiot to convince me to risk my job - end up unemployed?

5. okie

okie GT Mayor

Damn, that a big bite of a crap sandwich:sadangel:

6. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

There were two different unions at play here.
    Teamsters had agreed to the last and best offer from the company. The Bakers' union walked out. The Teamsters were not at all happy with the Bakers, but did not cross their picket lines.

The Teamsters will qualify for unemployment benefits under Indiana law. The Bakers will not.

7. JMarch

JMarch ♩. ♪ ♫ ♪ ♬♩

kind of like eating a twinkie

8. woodasptim

woodasptim

9. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

I was trying to think of something cute to say but you said it all.

This is just like the Eastern Airlines pilots union back in the day.

"Full Pay 'til the Last Day" etc. The problem is these morons caused the last day.

The union bosses who allowed the 27% pay cut sloan should be hammered for foisting lies.

10. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

That's so very much how this BS works. Anywhere else it's "Risky Shift". Among unionists it's solidarity and standing up to the man. And fighting the ubiquitous, "Bad Management" bogie man.

11. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

What's not to like???

Enriched wheat flour, sugar, corn syrup, niacin, water, high fructose corn syrup, vegetable and/or animal shortening – containing one or more of partially hydrogenated soybean, cottonseed and canola oil, and beef fat, dextrose, whole eggs, modified corn starch, cellulose gum, whey, leavenings (sodium acid pyrophosphate, baking soda, monocalcium phosphate), salt, cornstarch, corn flour, corn syrup, solids, mono and diglycerides, soy lecithin, polysorbate 60, dextrin, calcium caseinate, sodium stearoyl lactylate, wheat gluten, calcium sulphate, natural and artificial flavors, caramel color, yellow #5, red #40

12. 07 LMB Z06

07 LMB Z06

Such poor understanding of what actually happened.

Those hedge funds (I can just picture your bitter-beer face as you say the words) have basically been the lifeline for Hostess since they emerged from bankruptcy in 2009. They bought up and restructured outstanding debt and provided further financing so Hostess could stay in business and keep the union workers employed as long as they have.

You should be sending those hedge funds a thank you letter on behalf of the union employees who would have otherwise been out of work years ago.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  13. glocktecher

glocktecher

"Them union bosses are smart boys - they wil make sure all of us are taken cared of."

They took care of you allright - right out of a job:rofl:

Wonder if the union bosses will lose any of their pay? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl

14. Z71bill

Z71bill

So which ones wanted to keep their job?

Looks like the Teamsters (perfect example of the solidarity BS in the name) - if they wanted a job - could have decided to cross the picket line and go back to work. Were they locked out?

Just saw a news report - that the Teamsters would not allow Wonder bread and Hostess products to be shipped on the same truck - they demanded two trucks deliver to the same store. Management must have been drunk when the agreed to this - they are also at fault.

If this is true it is a perfect example of why unions are bad. It is not always about the pay - many times it is the stupid work rules that really hurt the company. Imagine two 1/2 empty trucks stopping at the same store - instead of just allowing one truck to make the trip. How efficient and effective.

Now they all get to join team unemployed without benefits. I wonder how many will make more in the next 5 years than if they would have accepted the contract?

No way to know - but seems like most will end up worse off.

15. G23c

G23c

discusting! :wow:

16. ClydeG19

ClydeG19

They make Natures Pride bread. We've been buying that probably since it came out. :( Back to crummy bread again.

17. Sharkey

Sharkey

Al Qaida lives and Hostess dies? Dang you union bakers. Why doesn't Hostess get a bailout?

Twinkies the ultimate bug out snack. Maybe Winchester can give you a free twinkie with every box of ammo sold?

18. NDCent

NDCent Socially Inept

:banana: :eat:

I swear, I think the raspberry covered twinkies also contain heroin.

19. VC-Racing

VC-Racing General Flunky

:crying: Hard to imagine that kid's that were born in this year , will never have the luxury of :eat: a Hostess Twinkie or HO HO ......... :sadangel:

20. *ASH*

*ASH* in hell everyone loves popcorn

and prolly will never have stents and heart attack either :rofl: