Glock Talk banner

Turret press

2K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  F106 Fan 
#1 ·
I've been thinking about moving up to a turret press. Not so much for speed in loading but doing away with the pain in the ass of replacing/adjusting the dies for each stage on my single stage. A lot of reading has me looking at a Redding T-7. It gets great reviews on the web. Anybody own one?

#3 ·
I have a T-7. You are correct; it will save a lot of time if you don't have a progressive. I have turrets for different calibers. Just be careful; I've dropped the ball bearing indexer a lot and it stays hidden a long time.

WP

#4 ·
I had a couple of single stage presses set up for precision rifle reloading. I replaced them with the T-7 and I really like the new setup.

I have a turret for .308 and another for 6.5x284 Norma and both have the full complement of dies. Everything is ready to go for either caliber.

Please don't think that this is an acceptable solution for bulk pistol loading. It still isn't a heck of a lot faster than 50 rounds per hour. Whatever savings are realized comes strictly because it isn't necessary to change dies during the process.

One reason I don't get any speed is that I use an RCBS ChargeMaster to dispense the powder. It's very accurate but slow when compared to a Uniflow powder measure.

You didn't say WHAT you wanted to load. In my view, if you're thinking about any volume at all, the T-7 is better than a single stage but not nearly as fast as a Lee Classic Turret.

Richard

#6 ·
I had and likes a the Lyman T-Mag press. I got rid of it when I when to a progressive. On pistol loads I could hit 200 an hour, but I already had the cases resized and hand primed, so not really. The cost with a powder drop is cheaper, but it loaded several thousand rounds with no real show of wear.

#7 ·
9mm, 40S&W and .223 are what I load mostly. I do .380, but not in any quantity. I will start 8mm Mauser soon. I thought about the Lee classic but there's not one to be found. A used one on Ebay is up to $150! $40 more than new. The indexing is something I probably wouldn't use. I like batch loading. I clean a batch of brass, I size a batch... I just hate though pulling the bullet seat/crimp die after getting it just right. A turret sounded like a nice (and affordable!) next step. A progressive is out of my price range, never mind setting one up for 5 calibers. I can have a T-7 delivered for under $300. Not bad for a quality press that will out live me and almost "free" after making a nice profit selling a AK.

#10 ·
I got a Lee Classic Turret last winter for christmas and have loaded a couple thousand rounds with it so far with great success. I would not hesitate to recommend one.

With that said, maybe take a look at the 550b if you can afford it. I wish I had started with that since it would have grown with my needs a bit better.

#11 · (Edited)
I got a Lee Classic Turret last winter for christmas and have loaded a couple thousand rounds with it so far with great success. I would not hesitate to recommend one.

With that said, maybe take a look at the 550b if you can afford it. I wish I had started with that since it would have grown with my needs a bit better.
:agree: Loading those pistol calibers will be a cake walk. You don't absolutely need a complete quick change on a 550 either, just a toolhead with powder die. Just move you one powder drop to each caliber as you need it. A Uniquetek micrometer dial makes it even easier. The .45 shellplate is the same as the .308, just get a funnel. Same with the 9mm and .40 just get a extra funnel.

#12 ·
9mm, 40S&W and .223 are what I load mostly. I do .380, but not in any quantity. I will start 8mm Mauser soon. I thought about the Lee classic but there's not one to be found. A used one on Ebay is up to $150! $40 more than new. The indexing is something I probably wouldn't use. I like batch loading. I clean a batch of brass, I size a batch... I just hate though pulling the bullet seat/crimp die after getting it just right. A turret sounded like a nice (and affordable!) next step. A progressive is out of my price range, never mind setting one up for 5 calibers. I can have a T-7 delivered for under $300. Not bad for a quality press that will out live me and almost "free" after making a nice profit selling a AK.
During my progression from single stage to high end Dillon, I too made a stop at the turret press. It worked ok but I was using a Ponsness Warren MetalMatic and it had the advantage that the shell holder moved, not the die head. It also had the capability of setting up two calibers on the same die head. Oh well, that was a long time ago.

You should read through the stickies at the top of this forum. There's some good info.

The Lee Classic Turret (LCT) is cheaper than a T-7 by quite a bit. Adding additional calibers is not very expensive.

The preferred LCT kit is sold by Kempf because it includes a set of dies and doesn't include the Lee scale which some folks don't like.

https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php...n=com_virtuemart&Itemid=41&vmcchk=1&Itemid=41

I'm not sure about stock versus back order. Reading the web page, it seems like they are just about able to meet demand.

This press will make about 250 rounds per hour and changing calibers is quite simple. BTW, take advantage of the powder measure upgrade when you order the kit.

Richard

#14 ·
I use a T-7 for precision long range shooting. Load .260 Rem, .308, 45-70 (black powder), and 38-55 on it. It is a real pleasure to know that your dies are set-up dead on.

I started 1000 yard competition about five years ago with modern guns. I have often thought that a Forster Co-Axial press might be a good choice for that application because of its more consistent axial alignment. But, I don't seem to give anything up in the accuracy department to other, experienced shooters. So, the T-7 is serving me just fine.

I have a universal decapping die in one hole and use it all the time for all kinds of things.

#16 ·
What press do you have now?
A old Lyman spartan "C" single stage. I bought it with a bunch of other reloading equipment for cheap. It had never been mounted or used. Works fine but not the most leverage. I like the open front a "C" type has (left handed). I played with a Lee "O" single stage and kept hitting the front of the press with the back of my hand. The T-7 has the same open front.

#17 ·
motorcyclist..."I've been thinking about moving up to a turret press..."

I started out with a LEE single stage press, when my shooting need required more ammo, I bought the LEE classic turret press and this has met my need very well. I can produce hundreds of rounds without too much time or trouble.

Which ever press you decide on I think you are doing this the right way, that is to progress as your shooting need dictate. You may find that a turret press is all that you will need.

Good luck with your decision and be safe out there.

#18 ·
A old Lyman spartan "C" single stage. I bought it with a bunch of other reloading equipment for cheap. It had never been mounted or used. Works fine but not the most leverage. I like the open front a "C" type has (left handed). I played with a Lee "O" single stage and kept hitting the front of the press with the back of my hand. The T-7 has the same open front.
Sounds like you have thought this through. T-7 is a great press. Convenience of the turret is die setup. Not much faster then the SS. You could do a bushing system on the Hornady or add it to the RCBS. No more die setup like that either. But no open front like you want.

You may want to consider a Dillon 550 BL or RL. Both are left hand friendly.

T7 is the nicest Turret. LCT is not as nice but a lot faster. I don't find my left hand hits the rod on my LCT.

#19 ·
Thanks for the replys. I have given this some thought (my wife would find that shocking!) and desided I wasn't after increasing speed but the convenience of rotating a turret for the next die. I don't think I load enough of one caliber to justify a Dillon 550B. I tend to load 200 or so of one caliber then 200 or so of another. I It was down to the Redding or the Lee classic. I couldn't find a Lee anywhere and that made up my mind to spring for the Redding. Ordered it today.

#20 ·
I have my father's Lyman turret. I set it up for 45ACP thinking I wouldn't be shooting much 45ACP. It is faster and more convenient than a single stage. I can drop powder and then seat the bullet without handling the case. I don't need to screw around with a loading block. I use a handprimer because the priming parts are missing. So, I resize/deprime and put the sized case in a bucket. I can go through a hundred or so fairly quickly. Then I run them through a handprimer and into a bucket. Then I place a primed case in the shellholder and expand/charge it, turn the turret and seat a bullet.

I usually do one step for about 20 minutes a night. I'll pop in my room and size a bunch of cases. The next night I'll prime them. And then the next night I'll "load" them. There is only one night that I really need to pay attention to what I'm doing.

I use a Lee autodisk that I bought to dedicate to this set up and the Lee dies with the PTE die, so I don't have to screw around with handling charged cases and spilling them or worse, loosing track of what I'm doing. The charged case immediately gets a seated bullet.

It's abit cumbersome and I might just get the parts to convert my Pro1000 for 45ACP. The Lee turret would be better than what I'm doing, but this press was sitting on the floor looking lonely. It's kind of cool to be using it the way my father was 40 years ago.

#21 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replys. I have given this some thought (my wife would find that shocking!) and desided I wasn't after increasing speed but the convenience of rotating a turret for the next die. I don't think I load enough of one caliber to justify a Dillon 550B. I tend to load 200 or so of one caliber then 200 or so of another. I It was down to the Redding or the Lee classic. I couldn't find a Lee anywhere and that made up my mind to spring for the Redding. Ordered it today.
If speed isn't a consideration, you are going to like that press! There's nothing like a solid hunk of cast iron :cool:

You might want to order some additional turret plates when you get a chance. I have two and I'm heading for a third the next time I load .223 precision rifle.

Richard

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.