Glock Talk banner

Turret press up and running

4K views 28 replies 18 participants last post by  unclebob 
#1 ·
Ok well my Lee Turret press is up and running.

Setting it up proved to be quite a pain in the arse on all fronts... I've loaded up some rounds, and I'll do more tomorrow for the range on Saturday.

I wouldn't be shocked if I blow my gun up... :faint:

See less See more
#2 ·
What kind of problems did you have, maybe we can help? Also if you really aren't sure about the quality of your loads you would be better off to pull them and start over. Trust me you wouldn't be the first one to have to pull a bunch of bullets.

#4 · (Edited)
What kind of problems did you have, maybe we can help? Also if you really aren't sure about the quality of your loads you would be better off to pull them and start over. Trust me you wouldn't be the first one to have to pull a bunch of bullets.
I don't know if I would call it trouble....

I set everything up but what I find most vexing was my oal seating...

Here is the load

.40 180 gr xtp.. Using unique.. 5 grains"ish" going for oal of 1.115. Using the set seating die, and then caliper checking, I'd get everywhere from 1.127 to 1.015.. Don't understand why there is so much fluctuation considering the seating die is locked down... How can it push a bullet further in than another time? :dunno:

#6 ·
Congratulations! I love my LCT . How do you like that stand? I have wondered how stable they are.
You may have noticed that your auto disk may throw lighter loads then the chart that comes with it says. I Always check charges with a good scale then I like to spot check occasionally.

#7 ·
Congratulations! I love my LCT . How do you like that stand? I have wondered how stable they are.
You may have noticed that your auto disk may throw lighter loads then the chart that comes with it says. I Always check charges with a good scale then I like to spot check occasionally.
Stand seems very stable and I was using it without the cinder block in it which it should have (hanging in the rods below). Seemed very stable to me... Didn't budge.

I agree it does seem to throw lighter loads.. Significantly as I weighed them out like 20 x!! I got the uber adjustment bar that replaces the disks but then later realized you can't use it well with unique or flake powder so ill save it until I get something else..

#8 ·
I just got mine set up too. Its a fairly simple set up with RCBS Competition Dies for my .308. No problems, but I had an avid reloader help me out. (I'm new to rifle reloading.)

Wood Cylinder Wood stain Coquelicot Mallet

On the other hand, setting this up a few years ago and getting everything fine tuned was truly a PITA but it is awesome now.

Machine Shelving Shelf Plate Electronics

Attachments

#9 · (Edited)

Here is the load

.40 180 gr xtp.. Using unique.. 5 grains"ish" going for oal of 1.115. Using the set seating die, and then caliper checking, I'd get everywhere from 1.127 to 1.015.. Don't understand why there is so much fluctuation considering the seating die is locked down... How can it push a bullet further in than another time? :dunno:
How uniform is your length on the cases before reloading?

If the equipment is properly set up it is hard to imagine the arm going to different heights.

ETA: what crimp die are you using?

#11 · (Edited)

Here is the load

You may not have quite enough flare and the bullet is not being seated straight.(Went through that myself) Thus the fluctuating OAL. I have found the included seating stem that came with my dies did not match the angle of the XTP bullets and could actually deform the HP cavity and cause the bullet to cock a little. I machined up some new stems to match the angle of the XTPs for all my seating dies. Check the flare first, it can help a lot.

#12 ·
I suggest losing the adjustable charge bar and usse the disks that came with the powder feeder. I tried the charge bar, but it is very erratic unless you are using small fine ball powder. On the other hand the disks work exceptionally well. The only thing I noti ed is that the cc chart is not consistent with with th actual charge weight. I have found needing to go up 1-2 orfice sizes to get the proper weight, but once you get it dialed in it meters great!

Attachments

#14 · (Edited)
I'm pretty sure it says that wicker furniture in the reloading room is verboten in the Reloader's Bible. Have to check on the guitar.

Congrats and welcome to the funny farm.
Only, when the press being used, is a Dillon! With a Lee press, it's perfectly allowable!:supergrin:

RYT 2BER, good job, have fun. Let us know if you need to change your user name to one hand Luke, or something!:shocked:

#15 ·
How uniform is your length on the cases before reloading?

If the equipment is properly set up it is hard to imagine the arm going to different heights.
I have been using a LCT for almost a year now and have about 5000 rounds through it.

I agree that the case lenght may be the issue. In addition, when you place the bullet on the case make an effort to get it straight on the case. If you get sloppy and the bullet is setting on the case very obviously cocked it can and will affect the OAL.

The normal disks do in fact throw less powder than stated in the tables shown for a particular cavity size. Be sure to weight charges at first to insure that a cavity is throwing the amount of powder you want. Do not rely on the info in the tables that show powder weight per cavity.

Each powder drop will vary slightly. When I change disks I usually run ten drops through the cavity and dump them in a scale pan. Then divide the total weight (of the ten charge weight) by ten to get an average weight.

I have and use multiple adjustable charge bars without a problem. Once I have an adjustable charge bar metering the exact amount of powder that I want I use the charge bar. When I am done with that charge bar I put it in a baggie with a note stating the weight and powder that the adjustable bar is set for. This saves having to re-adjust a charge bar for a particular powder and weight.

Take your time and be very conservative at first. Make up "test batches" and try them before loading a lot. During testing check for pressure signs. Mark and check your groups to find the most accurate load. Keep lots of records of your loads and the results of the "test batches".

Enjoy!!! You'l find that you will be shooting more often now that you are reloading. More shooting = more accurate shooting.

#16 ·

Here is the load

That 0.112" difference is HUGE!. Most of us are getting well under 0.010".

From the Pistol Die Instructions at the Lee site, it appears that adjusting the seating die is different than for many other brands. There is also a note that they will make a custom seating plug for $8. You can't be that for a deal!

http://leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/Pistol3.pdf

Richard

#17 ·
going for oal of 1.115. Using the set seating die, and then caliper checking, I'd get everywhere from 1.127 to 1.015.. Don't understand why there is so much fluctuation considering the seating die is locked down... How can it push a bullet further in than another time? :dunno:
Be sure to use enough flare. Also be sure you are not seating and crimping at the same time un-intentionaly. Put a flared case in the shell holder (no bullet), screw the die down til it touches the case and then back it off 1/2 a turn. Finger tighten the locknut for the die (I assume your using lee dies). Now set the OAL with the adjustment on the top of the die.

#18 ·

Here is the load

Are you using the same head stamp brass. I'm just starting up as well with a breech lock press and had two rounds not come to the correct OAL. upon further inspection i found that they were different head stamp brass and was the most likely cause of the difference.

#20 ·
Are you using the same head stamp brass. I'm just starting up as well with a breech lock press and had two rounds not come to the correct OAL. upon further inspection i found that they were different head stamp brass and was the most likely cause of the difference.
Other than possibly affecting the amount of flair with the cases, how does using different headstamp brass change the oal of the cartridge. :dunno:

#21 ·
RYT 2BER

You should also cycle your dies by pulling the handle 4 times, then drop your powder charge and weigh it. This simulates what you will be doing when you are loading and gives the best average weight of thrown charge.

The powder has a tendency to settle as the turret is rotated.

#22 ·
Other than possibly affecting the amount of flair with the cases, how does using different headstamp brass change the oal of the cartridge. :dunno:
If that is not the case I stand corrected. I was loading a batch the other night and had an issue with 2 rounds not being the oal I had set. I was using Speer brass loading to a 1.125 oal and few pieces of federal we're mixed in and came out to a 1.130 oal. I was using the same amount of flare and didn't notice anything else that would cause the .005 difference. Or is that just a normal variance

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

#24 · (Edited)
If that is not the case I stand corrected. I was loading a batch the other night and had an issue with 2 rounds not being the oal I had set. I was using Speer brass loading to a 1.125 oal and few pieces of federal we're mixed in and came out to a 1.130 oal. I was using the same amount of flare and didn't notice anything else that would cause the .005 difference. Or is that just a normal variance

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Since your oal is measured from the case head to the bullet's point, changing the length or type of brass shouldn't change this measurement. Probabably just variance in the bullets, either in total length or where the bullet seater stem engages the bullet's ogive.
Either way .005" difference is usually not a big deal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.