tumbler or vibrator case cleaner ?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by cajun_chooter, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Raytech has motors built for them, & they are NOT friendly to deal with on the consumer level. They actually built the Lyman 2500 & 3200 series tumblers.
    I have a 3200 that is currently setting, dead, as neither Raytech or Lyman has any interest in supplying a replacement motor.
    Dillon isn't real good about it either, I have one of their older large (forget the model#) tumblers not running. They've changed suppliers over the years.
    The main problem, is the fact that a motor made for a vibratory application is FAR different in bearings & construction, than a normal duty motor.
    This I can state for FACT, as I work for the largest mfg'r. of vibratory equipment in the world....

www.generalkinematics.com

While we build very large equipment, the theory is the same, & "normal" motors just don't cut it!
    Everything we build has custom motors, to our own specs, to live in the applications .

uncle albert

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #21 VN350X10, Oct 4, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  2. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

I have owned both.

The vibratory cleaner failed and came close to starting a fire.

I bought a Thumbler with thermal protection on the motor.

The thumbler is (much) slower to clean to the same level, I just have it on a 6 hour timer. It gives the option for wet or dry. The rotary thumbler is a lot, not just a little, but a lot, quieter than a vibratory cleaner. It is less convenient to open (six wingnuts instead of one).

#22 PEC-Memphis, Oct 4, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  3. Concur with same outstanding results (stainless media and Thumblers Tumbler). My very old metal base RCBS Mega Tumbler (Vibratory ) and my Thumbler’s Tumbler (Vibratory ) have been relegated to super polishing duty with flitz and corn cob now when I just have to have mirror polished cases.
    Replacement motors from Thumbler’s can easily be adapted to salvage burned out tumblers of other brands.

4. What's your method for drying the brass, and what do you do with the lead contaminated wash water?

5. Dirty water into the toilet. To dry after I seperate the media from the brass I put a couple of small pieces of rag into the seperator basket and spin. I then remove the damp rag pieces and put a couple of dry ones in and spin again. Then I just dump them on a tray and reload later after they've air dried to ensure there are no droplets inside, I re-use the rag pieces. I know some guys put the brass in the oven and stuff but mine is virtually dry when I dump it out and any droplet inside will air dry here in NV in a day or so.

6. shotgunred

shotgunred reloading nut

Dillon will replace the motor but by the time you buy the replacement motor and ship the tumbler back to Dillon it is almost the cost of just buying a new tumbler.

7. Last time I called Dillon about it, they said that there were no replacement motors avaliable for the model I have.

uncle albert

8. G31

G31
    Millennium Member

I have a Lyman Autoflo 2200 that has been wonderful the past 10 years. I vote vibratory cleaner all the way...no mess or fuss, unless you spill the bowl, or leave it unattended while emptying.

9. I prefer a 8inch....oh nvm. I use a lyman Tumbler...havent had any issues and gets my cases clean enough with some lizard bedding and a cap of Nu Finish!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine