close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Tulammo.......

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by USMCgs3, Jan 22, 2012.

1. USMCgs3

USMCgs3

Aug 10, 2011
    So I put 2 boxes of their 180grain fmj's through my 27 today, and absolutely no issues. I've seen some negative reviews on it (ie: very dirty..ect) but at $12.xx for a box of 50 at Wally world... Any reason I shouldn't stock up on it for range ammo?? It wouldnt be used as hd/sd.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

2. Jagged

Jagged

Jan 3, 2012
    SWVA
    It's under $9/box at CTD. Might want to check on the cost of shipping for ordering 5-10 boxes from them.

I reload for most of my firearms, but the steel cased stuff is great to have on hand for trips to the range where I don't want to bring my brass home.

3. pureform1278

pureform1278

Nov 22, 2011
    My wally world sells them for $9 and winchester and federals go for $10.69...

4. USMCgs3

USMCgs3

Aug 10, 2011
    This one sells the 9mm for $9 but .40 for $12, I've been doing some shopping around and might have to check out other walmarts around the Austin area. Idk why but I feel like paying another dollar or two to have them in my hand now, might out-weigh waiting for them to be shipped. I'm looking to buy some serious bulk soon... So I'm shopping around still.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

5. CrookCounty

CrookCounty Trolling Noob

MIne is the same...

Used TulAmmo today and not a single issue....it's pretty dirty but I have to clean the gun anyways after shooting so who cares.

I will be buying more in bulk for sure.

6. Gperfection

Gperfection

Sep 27, 2005
    N.E. Colorado
    Put a magnet on the bullet/projectile. It's steel. Save it for a rainy day, literally. If you are shooting outdoors anyway. This type of ammo has been banned by a lot of ranges also. It has been known to be the cause of many wildfires. Steel bullets hitting rocks and such, results in a spark, which in turn can ignite dry vegetation. I have also witnessed a number of bad Tula rounds that don't go bang everytime. Junk in my opinion.

7. Jagged

Jagged

Jan 3, 2012
    SWVA

At most, it has a steel core. :upeyes:

8. jaklcrow

jaklcrow

Feb 12, 2010
    Any truth to the steel case wearing out the extractor much quicker? Thats the only issue I possibly have with it.

9. Ferdinandd

Ferdinandd

Feb 17, 2008
    I shot some 9mm along with cheap Federal, and the Tula was definately less consistent in the pistols that I tried it in - Glock 17 and a Ruger SR9. The Tula groups looked like buckshot patterns from either pistol. I'll pass.

10. Ballcoach16

Ballcoach16

Nov 22, 2011
    McRae, GA
    My 30sf loves tula, as did my sr9c, as well as my wallet. My BG380 on the other hand takes two trigger pulls to fire each round, so Tula is a no-no in .380 for me.

11. Gperfection

Gperfection

Sep 27, 2005
    N.E. Colorado
    No, actually the core is lead. I have pulled the bullet from a Tula round and melted the lead out of it. What is left behind is a fairly thick, copper plated steel jacket.

12. zippyhuntin

zippyhuntin

Dec 16, 2011
    NE Iowa
  13. Gperfection

Gperfection

Sep 27, 2005
    N.E. Colorado
    Yea, just the other day I had a guy doing an off duty qual with a BG380. He was shooting Tula and out of the 36 rounds, he had 15 of them that didn't fire on the first pull. Good thing the BG380 has double strike capability.

14. DEADEYEGUY

DEADEYEGUY

Aug 22, 2009
    I've had good luck with the 180gr. .40. Very mild load to shoot. On the 9mm I'll get a dud every once in awhile. Mostly use it went I can't get anything else. Never seen it harm a gun.

15. Snooch..!!!

Snooch..!!! señor snooch..!

Aug 30, 2011
    Texas
    I've had nothing but flawless function with Tula and Monarch both brass and steel cased.

I've heard plenty of people bad mouth it and buy more expensive ammo, but I highly doubt they have actually shot it. Kind of a mind set I've seen where they buy into the "hype" and won't even give it a try.

But like i said, I have shot 1000's of rounds of this stuff both pistol and carbine. My best friend who shoots matches with me almost exclusively shoots Tula through his Beretta 92 and XDM and he has never had a hiccup either that I've seen or heard about. He shoots Tula so often he gets teased by other shooters that he must be sponsored by them.

16. donovan655

donovan655

Aug 15, 2009
    my experience with both 40 an 9mm:

Works okay
    occasional hard primer
    smells like cat piss
    some magazines on other guns don't take to the steel case all that well.

17. Merkavaboy

Merkavaboy Code-7A KUZ769

If Tulammo (or any handgun ammo) had a steel core it would never be allowed into the U.S. because it would be deemed Armor Piercing.

18. SJ 40

SJ 40

Jan 17, 2011
    Vermont
    Thankfully I reload so I'm not facing the option of having to shoot Tula ammunition in my firearms. SJ 40

19. RJHUB

RJHUB

Nov 27, 2009
    I always buy a few boxes when in WalMart. 9,.40,.45, and .223.
    Gives me a few hundred extra rounds when at the range.
    Glocks seem to love it. It does stink.
    Kinda nice not to worry about picking up brass.

20. vetmedglock30

vetmedglock30

Jan 14, 2011
    SEC
    I have run >2k of it through my G17. Never a problem. I still only clean it every 1K. It may be a "dirty" ammo, but the G17 likes it just fine. :)