close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

TUL Ammo

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Ender587, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Ender587

Ender587

Nov 27, 2011
  2. They sell it at my local Walmart. Just a bit more than at Dirt Cheap. It is from Russia and the bullets and casings are steel. Brass over the top of the bullet. DO NOT RELOAD. I have shot it with no issues.

If I remember right Glock does not recommend steel bullets out of their guns.

Someone tell me if this is right??????

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011

3. It maybe no-brass lead bullets you cannot run through the glock.

4. E-2-E

E-2-E Long Trail

Jan 12, 2010
    Southern New England
    Good cheap ammo for plinking, run it through all of my guns.
    I don't think its copper over steel, just lead bi metal jacketed.

5. ken grant

ken grant

Apr 3, 2004
    middle ga.
    :rofl:

Been running lead bullets(home cast) for many years through my Glocks

6. IronRonin

IronRonin

May 18, 2010
    Good quality Russian ammo. AKA Herter's if you buy it at Cabelas. Glocks and AKs love it; sissy guns can break their extractor nails on it. hehe

7. SauerChoi

SauerChoi

Aug 12, 2011
    I have shot 1000s of rounds in 45 and 9mm in TUL. the bullets are jacketed. Only the casing is steel.

8. hddave

hddave i want more!

Jun 18, 2011
    Southern Ohio
    Good cheap ammo, But have found it to be a little dirty for my taste.

9. t4terrific

t4terrific

Sep 8, 2011
    It's dirty as Hell, and seems to have more "duds" than other brands. I use it in my Glocks and my old Sig. While it worked flawlessy in my Kimber, I decided to use a cleaner ammo (due to the tighter clearances and number of parts) to help make a thorough cleaning easier.

10. Cosmo M3

Cosmo M3

Dec 2, 2011
    I've seen Glocks jam with russian ammo (Tulammo, Wolf, etc)

11. robhic

robhic WOLVERINE!!!! Platinum Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Louisiana
    At the range, I have shot 1000's of rounds of TULA and RUAG 9mm which are both Russian-made and worked (for me, at least) flawlessly. No duds, no problems at all, really. It is pretty good and you really can't beat the price. I got mine from Cheaper Than Dirt and it's a good deal.

12. RexKramer

RexKramer

Jun 9, 2011
    All my Glocks like TULA. G26, G19, G21, G30. If TULA made 10mm, I would also try it in my G29.

Some people speculate that the steel cases are harder on the extractor, although I have not seen any evidence of this. The concept makes sense to me, I'm just thinking you would have to shoot a LOT of steel cased ammo before you noticed extra wear on parts.

The advisory from Glock concerning bullet type refers to unjacketed lead bullets. TULA projectiles are jacketed.

The cost seems to be the main attraction for TULA. If you decide you don't like the idea, you will be in good company.

Me too. I've also seen Glocks jam with expensive ammo, including Speer Gold Dot. I don't think anyone would classify TULA as 'premium self-defense ammo.' It makes good range ammo.

13. Put a magnet on the bullet and see if it sticks, you will have your answer.

14. Dogguy

Dogguy

Aug 2, 2008
    Soggy South.
    It's a steel jacketed bullet with a "copper wash" (whatever that means). Magnet sticks to bullet and casing. To me, that's a big "so what?"

I've used Tula .45 in SIG and Ruger autos. Not extensively but I've shot most of one case thus far. I'll buy more. I like it for cheap range ammo. I've never had a failure of any kind with it. I also don't find it to be particularly dirty. "Dirty" is subjective anyway. It's all dirty. If you don't clean your guns after lots of shooting, they'll be really dirty.

The only downside to it is that you can't reload the cases.

15. Brucev

Brucev

Jul 19, 2009
    I've fired it in 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP. I've used the steel cased WOLF 5.56mm in my COLT Hbar. In every usage, function and on target accuracy has been exactly the same as with any other factory ammunition used. I prefer the Russian ammo when shooting at out-door ranges since I don't have to waste time looking for the casings as they are steel and not reloadable. As to firing residue, I clean all my guns after a trip to the range. I do not let a handgun or rifle sit around uncleaned. It is not only a poor maintenance practice, it is not good for the long-term value of the gun. I've not ever had a single malfunction with the Russian ammunition, regardless of the gun in which it was fired. In the course of firing many hundreds of rounds of the stuff, I've not had a single issue with extractors failing, etc. Ejection with the steel cased ammunition has always been very good... usually the casing hit in just about the same area as standard brass cases, depending on the gun which is being fired. Currently I use Russian steel-cased ammunition in a Beretta 92FS, a Rock Island Armory 1911 .45 ACP, a S&W 625-2 .45 ACP and my COLT Hbar. It is good ammunition, and its is more affordable than other factory ammunition.

16. Cheap Russian crapola. Avoid. Besides, why would you want to support those fools?

17. tcruse

tcruse

Jun 10, 2011
    For reloaders, brass cases make ammo cheaper. For those that do not reload then steel case are ok and perform the same in modern guns. I would like to see the Herters/blazer TNJ bullets become the standard. AL cases are cheaper I terms of natural resources and are stronger. Lighter to carry and do not require the coating that steel cases require. The Nylon jacket of the bullet works well, very easy on the barrel, and does not require use of copper. These should allow US ammo to be sold at a price better than imported ammo when the volume gets high enough. If you have not tried them you owe it to yourself to try at least one box before you judge them.

18. t4terrific

t4terrific

Sep 8, 2011
    I use a lot of Tul 9mm. It is accurate, cheap, and reliable at the range. With the prices of Federal going through the roof, the choice is easy for me.

19. intecooler

intecooler

Nov 15, 2012
    Get what you can find and shoot it. Doesn't matter if it's from Mars!

20. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    I have shot a fair amount of it. Its dirty, smoky, and smells when you fire it but it puts holes in paper. My guns have all run it fairly reliably, but I do get some occasional stovepipes with it.

I still have some stocked away, but with brass ammo starting to become more available I am shooting brass more often.