close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Truth will out - "The Bell Curve" lives

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by railfancwb, Oct 15, 2012.

1. railfancwb

railfancwb

Politically incorrect is not the same as wrong. A book entitled "The Bell Curve" was widely condemned because it made politically incorrect statements related to race and IQ. Now comes the Florida State Board of Education officially making essentially the same statements as part of its testing requirements.

http://tampa.cbslocal.com/2012/10/12/florida-passes-plan-for-racially-based-academic-goals/

And they are receiving the same condemnations vented upon the book and its authors.

2. devildog2067

devildog2067

a) That's not at all what "The Bell Curve" was about
    b) 'Truth will out' doesn't make any sense at all

3. GVFlyer

GVFlyer Senior Member

I read Herrnstein and Murray; it was an academic rather than a political endeavor. You need to be careful when assuming their intentions in writing The Bell Curve.

4. railfancwb

railfancwb

Agreed. They didn't make it political, others did. But the facts which they presented stubbornly remain facts.

5. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

left tail test...

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  6. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

Perhaps "will" was supposed to be capitolized as a proper noun? Some guy named William is going to be outed by the truth, methinks. Let's face it; we ALL kinda knew Will was gay. The Bell Curve proves it.

7. frizz

frizz

:upeyes:

"Truth will out" is Shakespeare.

8. Gallium

Gallium CLM

There is a lot more to your fanciful wishes than space or time or care allows me to expound on. How about you attempt to educate YOURSELF first, before trying to feel better about yourself by looking down on others?

9. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

If I was an intelligent young black man, I'd be jumping for joy, knowing that I was going to get better grades than my white classmates while doing the same amount of work, and testing at the same level.

10. frizz

frizz

This has nothing to do with grades. It isn't even an individual thing.

You don't understand the fundamental issue.

11. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

What is the fundamental issue?

12. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Best I recall, however, The Bell Curve conclusions about race and IQ were condemend because people didn't want them to be true and it was bad - not because it was incorrect. There was a wealth of evidence of racial differences in IQ for decades before the Bell Curve and those 2 weren't the first sociologists to be condemend for pointing it out, even when relying on secondary research. So the irony is that Florida may have tailored a policy to reality that will not be acceptable because it requires people to accept reality.

13. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Here is your wake up call.. FS Board of Ed does not make that statement. This is something you conjured up to support your perspective.

The reality is, black kids graduate HS at dismal rates. Hispanics fare a little better, Indian (India) and Oriental kids a lot better.

There is a country in the Caribbean with a population that is 90+ % black, and it's literacy rate is above that of the USA, Canada, Germany, Sweden, Ireland, Iceland, Switzerland, Denmark, Spain, China, Japan, S. Korea, India, Hungary, Australia, Belgium....etc.

They are consistently rated at between #4<>#12 depending on which charts you look at.

http://world.bymap.org/LiteracyRates.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_literacy_rate

How did Barbados manage to make you look like a fool? In 1834 when everyone else in the British Empire was figuring out what to with the soon to be emancipated slaves, those darkies in Barbados were taking advantage of the "superb educational system" in place there.

Fast forward to today, they are, in comparison to places like the USA that had 100+ years of entrenched systematic policies and laws at federal, state and local levels discriminating against, and prejudicial to "minorities" (some groups more than others), their society has been able to produce a greater pool (%) of folks ready to integrate into society.

But hey, stock up on stupid. It is after all your right. :)

14. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

And that you are better looking, good at basketball, sing better, and all the White women want to sleep with you.

You can also go free to any college, get several high salary cushy job offers to pick from, and your children will all grow up to be President.

You've got it made brother!

15. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Do you really think high IQ is needed to graduate from high school? Or is it more a matter of turning in a half dozen homework assignments and showing up for class once in a while?

I don't see how any reasonably intelligent person could relate HS graduation rates to IQ.

16. walt cowan

walt cowan

damm, beat me to it.:supergrin::wavey:

17. walt cowan

walt cowan

same thing for phd's.

18. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

True that.

Just freaking make the changes the prof suggested, and get on with your life :)

19. Mrs.Cicero

Mrs.Cicero Wayward Member

The Florida board screwed up. Instead of stating separate goals defined by race, it should have done one of two things - separate goals defined by socioeconomic status, (so the Occupiers could scream about the downtrodden poor), or the smarter route, which would have been to say they want to increase the literacy rate/academic perfomance by the same percentage (say 5% per year) of every group they track, until they all reach 100%, thus satisfying the whole "equality" thing. Who could have argued with that? And it would have been THE SAME PLAN.

Because you know it's all in the spin, in this culture.

20. Iron bottom

Iron bottom

I had completely forgotten about Barbados. The leader in space exploration, the leader in agriculture, the leader in computer design and software, the leader in communications. I could go on and on, but I don't want to bore anyone.