close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Truffle Oil

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by nickg, Feb 16, 2004.

1. nickg

nickg

Jan 16, 2002
    i've seen a lot of chefs touting the great taste of truffle oil. i see it in the store all the time and just haven't gotten around to buying any yet. it's not cheap though - a very small (maybe 6-8 oz. or so) bottle cost around $10.99.

this is for "black" truffle oil. i know "white" truffles are EXTREMELY expensive, something like $1000.00 a pound (maybe it's the other way around, but i can't remember for sure)!! ;P ;P ;P

anyone try it before? does it really enhance the flavor of your salads and other dishes?

2. Glockerel

Glockerel Got Mojo?

Maybe it's just me, but I hated it. I love mushrooms, pick morels; you name it I eat it. Truffle oil, to me, tasted like strong mold. I got mine free when I ran an italian deli. It was white truffle oil. ICK!

3. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    You're suppose to use just a bit of the truffle oil to improve the flavor. Too much is nasty.

4. Shoeless

Shoeless Gun Totin' Girl

Nov 25, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Truffle oil is wooooonderful but it's an acquired taste for sure. I used to hate it. I thought it tasted like a combination of garlic, onions and dirt. But somehow, I aquired a taste for it and now I love it.

BUT use it sparingly. It can be overwhelming if you're not careful. :)

Shoeless

5. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Mar 23, 2003
    >^..^<
    Shoeless, you have just convinced me to try it!

Anything that tastes like garlic and onions has to be good;e

6. saluki9

saluki9

Mar 3, 2003
    Chicagoland
    One thing to consider, since truffles have become the "in" thing there is a lot of fake truffle oil on the market. Make sure you get it from a reputable source (Dean & Deluca) is my choice. A lot of people have been turned off by the fake stuff, some of it is pretty gross.

Now, fresh truffles... That's heaven