close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Trucker charged with gun possession at Fort Drum gate

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by TBO, Aug 15, 2012.

1. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

2. Annoyedgrunt

Annoyedgrunt Dry Heat my ASS

Does the much-used axiom "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!" apply here?

3. Detectorist

Detectorist

At least he pleaded to disorderly conduct. It could have been much worse.

4. glock_19guy1983

glock_19guy1983

Most truck drivers have a gun in their truck. Keeping one is pretty smart, they have to park in some pretty damn dangerous places at night.

5. NMPOPS

NMPOPS

Pays to know the laws of the states you travel in.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

6. goldenlight

goldenlight

He got off with a misdemeanor, a fairly small fine, and his weapon was confiscated.

He made out like a bandit, IMHO.

They could have thrown the book at him, and they didn't.

7. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

I feel bad for him. I am glad he was not subjected to worse. Hopefully he will not lose his permit.
    Lots of folks break laws because its a PITA to follow them all. What do you do when dispatcher tells you that you now have a delivery in NY? Find a gun shop, have them log it in, hope you come back that way so you can go thru NICS to get it back? (likely $100 in costs) OPPS you don't live there? So you have to get a FFL from YOUR HOME STATE to send signed in ink card/have it shipped... Lucky if you get your gun back in 2 weeks for $150. (after fun of driving a truck/trailer to find gun shop)
    So they make it as legal as they can. Unloaded/ammo seperate... I go look thru 50 Owner/operators chosen strictly by what is written on doors I would bet I would find 20 guns.

8. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Pretty stupid to have one & try to enter a Gov installation! :tongueout:

Bus stop lockers are very cheap.

9. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

I know the safe travel law about firearms but NY does take a bit of a different stance on it so yeah, good point.

There are also other routes you can take to secure the thing:

Rent a safety deposit box (it's less than $125) if you're going to be in and out of there frequently, that might be a good thing in general.

Bus station, train station, YMCA locker rental. Get a free 5 day pass from the YMCA and use the locker. No, it's not exactly Ft Knox but it's available as an option

Rent a hotel room (again, less than $125) Most hotel rooms I've seen lately have handgun sized safes in them.

Even if you're "late" with a delivery, it's a damned sight better than being locked up until trial for an illegal weapon.

10. jph02

jph02

Most military installations are posted "No privately owned weapons".

11. napp32

napp32

He was in violation on NY laws before he ever reached Ft. Drum. Penalties might have been different if he had actually got on post where federal laws would have applied.

Restrictions about weapons on military installations are a little quirky. My Georgia carry permit doesn't allow me to take a weapon anywhere on Ft. Benning (even if it's just in the car). However, anyone who is a member of the on-post pistol club can transport their cased weapon to and from the range.

12. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Truck driving is not a money maker. You watch costs close. You often consider ways to make a few more $$.
    I was in WI and driver next to me had enclosed cargo trailers on his flatbed. He was unstrapping, moving/restrapping them. I had to ask.
    If he puts them tight they rub/damage paint... So he leaves a little room. BUT the inspector at this DOT is known to use tape measure/strait edge... So he was moving everything forward, drive 6 miles, get inspected, drive 3 miles unstrap, move everything and hope there was no damage. Because he was just a hint over sides. (I had to get behind to see it) Never mind the mirrors, other sticks out a foot beyond.
    To you going to YMCA, paying for hotel, getting to bus stop is easy. Try it with semi and 53' trailer. Same for $125 it may be pocket change to you. Most drivers I know consider that real money.
    How do you use that bank safe deposit box? Park truck infront? Unloads are often EARLY in morning (to have stuff for employees when they show up) and not be in way. Or if afternoon (most places don't want delivery from 11-1pm) so you think you are going to be able to get it back when bank is closed??

I have been on/off bases in many states. I have NOT carried a firearm in any of them (without permission) It was PITA to get permission but I was legal.
    That said I was only searched when I drove a 24' Uhaul. The search was "can you open back?" I did, asked if the found a (IIRC Green file box) to please keep it out as I needed some papers from it. He told me to lock it up and go ahead.

The hoot is my wife was active duty 20yrs. She got inspected In uniform, in car with sticker, at gate she went thru daily at this time for yrs. I was ahead of her in MN plated pickup (FL) after driving strait down (no hotel) with a temp day paper permit. I am dirty, have not shaved, same cloths for days, caffine buzz in pickup/topper loaded with stuff. I get waved thru. She gets pulled over and searched. :) I dand near had trouble driving. (I had considered saying something to MPs about "that car behind me" ) Glad I did not.

My feeling is a place does not allow something that is allowed most other places. They should have a place you can leave it. I.E military bases have a building outside gate for temp permits, asking questions,etc. Have some lockers there (say the $1 ones from amusement parks) for folks to store anything not allowed on base. (you would need a parking spot on exit of base)

13. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

I've frequently thought about buying as close to the gate as possible commercial lot and putting a self-storage in it with lockers. Advertise "Lock up your gun while you're on post..." or something like that.

It would have to be one hell of a secure place though, with clearing barrels and such.

One day I might actually look into it with interest and figure out what I would have to do to make some pin money with it.

14. Chesafreak

Chesafreak

Even worse than not knowing or disobeying the NY firearms laws is that he told on himself.

I'm not advocating breaking the law, but we aren't required to incriminate ourselves, right? Fifth amendment.

15. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

This is hardly newsworthy. When I was working as a Security Forces augmentee after 9/11, almost every day we inspected some commercial vehicle entering the base and found a firearm, drugs, or both.

16. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

How many of the firearms seized were handguns and the owner had a carry permit from some other state?

Thank you

Sent from the toe of my jack boots.

17. Bruce M

Bruce M

Not specifically condoning what he did but the more I read about specific prohibitions on military bases for people who work there, I am thinking maybe its time for someone to offer up some legislation requiring domestic bases to have an entry point with lockers. I find it difficult to comprehend a situation at where someone who may be assisting with an operation to fly a drone or gather intelligence from an avowed enemy having to reside in some lower income high crime area but not allowed a method of protection that a huge amount of the population enjoys.

18. Reissman

Reissman Millennium Member

We had a discussion about guns this weekend at my unit. There have been a couple instances were middle eastern males have blocked some soldiers in at gas stations around Tacom in Detroit and made comments to them. Not sure if it made the news. A lot of us drive over two hours to drill on the weekends and we have CCW's.