Glock Talk banner

Trouble w/ shoulder holster?

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  1gewehr 
#1 · (Edited)
Anyone ever have trouble w/ a shoulder holster (Galco specifically) "ridding up" in the center of your back, towards the base of your neck?

I've got a Glaco shoulder holster w/ two sets of harnesses for it - the thin "Miami Classic" strap harness, and I've always had trouble with it doing this no matter how I adjusted it. :(

I finally ordered one of their "SSH" harnesses, which has the wider upper sections of the front straps only -

- hoping that would help, be more comfortable, or at least keep it in place better b/c of the wider surface area. No such luck. :(

I keep finding no matter which harness I use, or HOW I adjust this thing no matter what, I can't get it to the point that the cross piece stays between my shoulder blades as they describe it should, and all it wants to do is ride up the center of my back to the base of my neck as soon as I move around. :(

Am I just one of those people who can't wear one of these damn things, or is it more so ~blush~ due to my size? I'll be honest, I am no light weight, but my weight is more in my gut than my chest. I DO have a large chest, but again, all my weight ( or "fat" :)) lies in my gut area. I can reach around myself to grab the gun, but it is just uncomfortable as hell having that cross piece ride up constantly. :(

Anyone else have this happen to them and have a solution?

Thanks -

See less See more
#3 ·
What gun?
Are you using the extra strap that can go between the holster and your belt?

#5 ·
Glock 17 or 19.

No on the strap, does that make a huge difference?

If so Galco should include it w/ the holster system. :(

Thanks -

Eric
IMHO, The gun should be heavy enough to keep everything in place.

I don't have that holster. The shoulder holsters I have do have straps which keep it down.

#8 ·
Maybe I'll try that then, the straps are cheap enough to buy for it ($20).

Thanks -
The straps also keep the pants up....

#9 · (Edited)
A guy working the Glock booth at a gun show gave me a tip on adjusting shoulder holsters: adjust it to fit snugly, not loose; the snug fit isn't as comfortable, but the rig stays in place. Try tightening your straps if you haven't already. The Galco rigs have been in use for a long time, and torso shape shouldn't make a big difference, in my opinion.

#11 ·
I have an original Jackass rig that I've been using for thirty years. I didn't like it much until I met a Jackass rep at a show shortly after I bought it. He taught me how to adjust it properly and it's been my favorite holster ever since. The gun sits horizontally like the Miami classic, not angled like the new Jackass holsters.

The cross-piece should rest right between the top of your shoulder blades. As the previous poster said, it should be snug, but not tight. The easiest way to get it situated properly is to get your wife or girlfriend to help. Put your unloaded firearm in the holster. Hold the holster where you want it. Get your wife to adjust the straps so that the cross-piece is where it should be. Adjust the carrier straps to match. When that is done, put loaded mags in the carrier and stretch your arms. Walk around a bit. You might need to adjust by one hole or two, but you should be very close to correct fit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.