close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Trijicon RMR Reliability????

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by PghJim, Jun 28, 2012.

1. TUKSTER

TUKSTER

Jan 2, 2013
    I have a Glock17 with TSD Tactical slide milled for the RMR. It lasted about 750 rounds and the light started intermittently working. It eventually went out completely right after that. Everything was snug and pictured so movement was not an issue. If anything it looked like the battery moved slightly during cycles. Well Trigicon repaired it and has been very quick to help great customer service!! Well upon return and replacement of electronics as noted on repair order I remounted it and took it out to Zero In and it lasted about 30 rounds and completely went out again. I was very disappointed and talked to the Trijicon rep. Who is going to have another look at it. I hope this was a bad batch but apparently they don't have a recall or service batch notice at this time. I love my Trigicons and so far their Customer Service is top notch as well.

2. Deployment Solu

Deployment Solu Kydex Crafter

Jul 18, 2007
    Arkansas
    Mark put my RMR02 on my G17. Ran about 1200 rds thrugh the gun at two training classes. Runs like a champ!! No zeroing or electronics issues. Thanks Mark!!!

3. Airborne Infantryman

Airborne Infantryman 'Murica!

Nov 20, 2009
    VA
    It's well-known that the LED operated RMRs have issues. The RM06 and RM07 (adjustable variants) have the most issues.

The dual-illuminated RMR's have had no issues to date, except for a guy melting his while going full-auto with his AK47. :faint:

4. Tuckster, what serial number range is yours in? I just returned one for similar reasons that is in the 67700 range.

5. tango44

tango44

Jun 16, 2005
    Miami Florida
    I want a RMR for my G26, but can't afford it right now!

6. TUKSTER

TUKSTER

Jan 2, 2013
    Serial number is 080365
    They replaced the electronics and RTV734 the first time. Still waiting to get it back.

7. TUKSTER

TUKSTER

Jan 2, 2013
    Well I went ahead and purchased a dual illumination /none battery RMR05 for my G17 to see if there are any issues with it, it will be mounted directly to the TACTICAL SOLUTION slide. I guess I can use the RM07 on a AR for backup when I get it back. I am guessing there is something in the RM07 electronics that don't like to be mounted on a moving pistol slide. There are to many reported problems and eventually will fail.

8. I'm sending one back again this week on an RMA that is only 300 off from yours. It was returned from a previous RMA in October for the same problem with the same "Replaced electric and RTV0734" comment. We shall see - Love the sight - not fond of the demonstrated reliability factor.

9. TUKSTER

TUKSTER

Jan 2, 2013
    I hope Trijicon will put a disclaimer on these models that aren't reliable mounted directly to a slide. That setup is freaking fantastic but I have had my optic in the shop longer than I actually had it. If I would have known its not designed to last on a slide I would of happily went with the dual illumination the first time. One thing said tho; Trijicon customer service is as top notch as their products.

10. Clusterfrack

Clusterfrack

Apr 26, 2012
    Pacific NW
    This is the setup I'm interested in as well. I was planning on the RMR06, but these reliability issues have me rethinking that.

11. Airborne Infantryman

Airborne Infantryman 'Murica!

Nov 20, 2009
    VA
    This is why I tell everyone that the Adjustable LED RMR isn't ready for showtime just yet; no issues with my 5 different RM05 Dual-Illuminated RMRs.

Have yet to read or hear of a problem with the Dual-Illums, either.

The only LED RMR that is really reliable, is the non-adjustable RM02.

Of course, the carbine-class commandos on M4C and elsewhere seem to think the Dual-Illuminated model is crap due to the limited washout issues, and that the Adjustable LED version is the best thing ever created......despite the fact that people are having to send them back 1, 2, even 3 times. Go figure. :faint:

12. hookalakupua

hookalakupua

Oct 2, 2007
    Columbus, OH
    Hey Guys - I've recently run into the exact same issues on all 4 of my RMR02's. They were all done by Mark after he originally did my 19. His attention to detail and craftsmanship is second to none and that's why I had him do another 3. He's the best in the business as far I'm concerned and these issues are 100% on Trijicon. Here's what's happened:

When, I first ran my Glock 19 back in January, I lost the sight after the 37th round thru it. It came back on the 41st. I haven't had another issue with it until today.

I ran the 17, 34, 19 and my buddy ran the Sig today and here are the results/issues.

Glock 17:
    Red dot went out and came back on the following strings - 6/7, 15/17, 32/34, 41/42, 48/51. I then had it go out on the following string counts and was able to bring it back by hitting the RMR with the palm of my hand. 57, 63, 71, 76. All of these happened after firing the previous full string and always occurred after I picked the weapon up to start the next string.

Glock 34:
    6/7, 12/13, 18/20, 26/27, 34/37, 44/47, 52/53.
    This string disappeared and returned after being struck - 57, 66, 71, 77, 82

Glock 19: 21, 29, 34, 42, 51. All returned at the beginning of the next string.

Sig - Went out on about the 20th and returned on the 23rd.

I'm a huge fan of this platform and I'm certain the reliability issue will be solved soon. In plan on contacting Trijicon after speaking with Mark. If anyone has any insight, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers guys. Shoot straight and be safe!

13. hookalakupua

hookalakupua

Oct 2, 2007
    Columbus, OH
    Hey Guys - I've recently run into the exact same issues on all 4 of my RMR02's. They were all done by Mark after he originally did my 19. His attention to detail and craftsmanship is second to none and that's why I had him do another 3. He's the best in the business as far I'm concerned and these issues are 100% on Trijicon. Here's what's happened:

When, I first ran my Glock 19 back in January, I lost the sight after the 37th round thru it. It came back on the 41st. I haven't had another issue with it until today.

I ran the 17, 34, 19 and my buddy ran the Sig today and here are the results/issues.

Glock 17:
    Red dot went out and came back on the following strings - 6/7, 15/17, 32/34, 41/42, 48/51. I then had it go out on the following string counts and was able to bring it back by hitting the RMR with the palm of my hand. 57, 63, 71, 76. All of these happened after firing the previous full string and always occurred after I picked the weapon up to start the next string.

Glock 34:
    6/7, 12/13, 18/20, 26/27, 34/37, 44/47, 52/53.
    This string disappeared and returned after being strucrk - 57, 66, 71, 77, 82

Glock 19: 21, 29, 34, 42, 51. All returned at the beginning of the next string.

Sig - Went out on about the 20th and returned on the 23rd.

I'm a huge fan of this platform and I'm certain the reliability issue will be solved soon. In plan on contacting Trijicon after speaking with Mark. If anyone has any insight, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers guys. Shoot straight and be safe!

14. hookalakupua

hookalakupua

Oct 2, 2007
    Columbus, OH
    Sorry Mods - Please delete double post as fat fingers sent the request twice. Appologies.

15. edited,
    deleted as I went back and actually read the post thoroughly.

dan

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  16. aaaa_cccc

aaaa_cccc

Aug 10, 2012
    Can anybody describe to me what the extent of the 'washout' problems are with the Dual Illumination models?

Also, does having astigmatism effect the way the dot looks on the Dual Illumination models as much as the LED versions?

17. When looking into a well lit area, from a dim area, the dot can nearly disappear.
    This is most noticeable when inside looking outside, at an indoor range with lane lighting in front of you, or when in a dim room and using a flashlight or looking towards a light source.
    The benefit of the co-witnessed sighs is that even if it does wash out some, you still have iron sights there.

No ideas on the astigmatism question.

I have the -04 7moa orange dual illuminated, with about 500 rounds through it on my G35.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  18. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Far West, USA
    Nothing wrong with the Dual Illumination model, in fact they are the most durable and reliable of all the RMRs.

I've got one on my G19 and its been great.

Its still a projected red dot and will appear like other red dots with a astigmatism. Get corrective glasses.

19. canyoncarver

canyoncarver

Feb 12, 2016
    Hey guys. I'm sorry for the zombie thread resurrection but after an unusual problem today at the range this thread came up in my google search.

A few weeks ago I purchased a Glock 19 MOS and shortly after a RM07 and Trijicon's mounting kit for MOS Glocks.

The first time out at the range I saw the dot flicker a couple of times and one time it went out until I tapped one of the buttons and it came back on. I took it apart at home and remounted it and was at the range for the second time today.

About 20 rounds in the dot went out and would not come back. I took the optic off, checked it and put it back on. This time I left the screws about 1/8 turn out and the dot went out on the first shot.

Took apart again and reversed the sealing plate so that the bowed side faced down, away from the battery which seems counterintuitive. I then proceeded to run 200 rounds through with zero issues of any kind.

Should I remove the sealing plate? Should I be taping the battery or putting a drop of adhesive on the side of the battery that contacts the slide? Thanks! I will say that when the RM07 is working it is the most fun I have had with a handgun in awhile. Stacking shots up the size of a quarter at 10 yards is pretty damn cool.

20. Bearbait in NM

Bearbait in NM

Dec 5, 2015
    Canyon,

Started to see the same problem with my RMR that I purchased about a year ago, or so. Never a problem on my revolvers.

Per Gabe Suarez over on his forum, a drop of rtv cement on the bottom of the battery. It seems to have fixed mine.

I too have always done the electrical tape thing, on all my dots. But if you look at the battery compartment, you have a contact on top of the battery, and one on the side (pos and neg). The tape pushes the battery up into the top contact, but may do nothing for the side contact, if the battery is going back and forth a tad, in the compartment. I think the rtv cement accomplishes keeping the battery fixed in relation to the sight, and not flexing either contact prong. This is the theory, and so far is proving on mine.

The sealing plate is part of the waterproofing of the sight installation, and no way I would run without mine.

Craig