close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Trigger job on Gen 4 vs Gen 3:differences?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by maestrogustav, Mar 13, 2012.

Tags:
  1. maestrogustav

maestrogustav

A smith told me he was having trouble getting the same good result with gen 4 that he gets with gen 3.

Everything looks identical; is this possibly correct?

2. bentbiker

bentbiker

It would really help if he could be more specific about what particular characteristic he feels is better on the Gen3. If he is saying that with the same components, the Gen3 has a lighter pull than the Gen4, then we know that; Glock had to go half way to the minus connector (using dot connector) to get the same trigger pull on the Gen4 as was std with the Gen3. Therefore, if you put minus connectors in both, the Gen3 is going to see a bigger change. However, if he can't get a great trigger with the Gen4, you shouldn't let him do any trigger work for you.

3. maestrogustav

maestrogustav

You may have just answered the question thanks.

But it begs another? How do you get the crispest, cleanest break on a ten 4?

I'm not looking to go significantly lighter.

4. NCHeel

NCHeel

Polish everything and replace the bump trigger bar with a non bump. I have my trigger pull down to 5# with a smooth take up and a crisp break.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g08XYm1eCyw&list=UUDO5N4EldXUrr998AfZhRYw&index=7&feature=plcp"]Glock internal overview.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  5. Fastfordsrus

Fastfordsrus

supposedly the trigger block adds a 5 degree angle to the connector, so that the same connector would seem harder in gen 4 than 3....

6. bentbiker

bentbiker

What's a "ten 4"? Or is it like a "henway"? Anyway, you make the break more crisp (reduce creep) by moving up to a 5.5 connector or even the plus, but you also add to the pull. To keep the pull where it is, you would then have to offset the more vertical guide angle of the new connector with either a 6# trigger spring and/or a reduced power FP spring. You probably can't use both a 6# trigger spring and a 4# reduced power FP spring, but you could use a 5.0# or 4.5# spring (Wolff is just very slow on deliveries at this time).

7. maestrogustav

maestrogustav

I think that was a tipo. . . .

Does all this argue in favor of buying a Gen 3 today, or Gen 4 armed with the facts above?

thx

8. bentbiker

bentbiker

You'd never believe all the combinations I went through, in my mind, without ever seeing it as an obvious "Gen4" typo.

Anyway . . . I think it is totally a personal preference unless you live in a state that makes it difficult to buy the Gen4. Without knowing the model you are considering, it is tough to give specific advice, but, remember, as far as the difference in the weight of the trigger pull, we are only talking about 1/2 lb with the same parts in both. If you are thinking of a G19 . . . with Glock only putting the newest ejector in the Gen4, the more aggressive texture of the Gen4, the better recoil management of the Gen4, and the smaller grip of the Gen4, I can't imagine buying a Gen3, but lots of people are still doing it. Since I'm the kind of person that enjoys optimizing things to fit my needs, I figure I'm going to be swapping stuff anyway, so what difference does it make where I start.

9. 125K9

125K9

Oh......I thought the OP was talking about some guy named A. Smith. My mistake.:whistling: