close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Trident 9 or Gemtech Raptor II

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by chemcmndr, Jul 25, 2010.

1. chemcmndr

chemcmndr

I am looking at getting a 9mm can for use on several Glocks, 9mm SBR's, and eventually a 9mm SMG. I've heard good things about both the Trident 9 and the Gemtech Raptor II. Is there any preference to one or the other on here? I know the Trident 9 cannot be disassembled for cleaning. Is that a big problem? Comments and opinions are appreciated!

2. r2kba

r2kba Relax

The raptor will not function on a handgun such as a glock. If you want that compatibility you will want to look at the multimount ( MM9 ) or the TUNDRA.

It sounds like your going to want the Multimount because of the different platforms you want to use it on, if you go the gemtech route that is. The trident is very similar and both cans are comparable.

I have the multimount. See the other active thread "sbr" for photo.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010

3. DustyJacket

DustyJacket Directiv 10-289

Multimount is the answer.

It is the most versatile, and it is pretty quiet when used on my Beretta without the LID.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  4. kilroy2721

kilroy2721

Go with the Trident. It is rated for full auto, and has excellent reviews, and in my opinion it is the quietest of the two.

The fact that you can't take it apart is not a problem. When it gets dirty you soak it to clean it, and the good folks at SWR have great customer service.

5. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Firefighter/EMT

I second the Trident9...it has a SS blast baffle and is full auto rated and it be used on all the hosts you listed...I dont know if the Gemtech Multimount has a SS blast baffle or if its full suto rated. Find prices on both..

6. DustyJacket

DustyJacket Directiv 10-289

No and no,

7. r2kba

r2kba Relax

No and YES, actually.

The mm9 is designed to be installed on colt SMG and HK mp5s and as well as pistol use and is most certainly full-auto rated. It will not hurt it. This is in the MM9 manual. The Gemtech TALON AR upper is designed for use on the COLT SMG.

However with that said, if the can's primary use will be on a SMG, then the RAPTOR is a better choice for long term durability according to the MM9 manual. The MM9 was never intended for hard core machinegun use in the first place. It's a multi platform can.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  8. Fireman1291

And if the cleaning is a big deal to ya, look at the YHM Cobra2. Its cheap and works good wet. How far out are you going to be buying a 9mm SMG? I ask because it might be better to buy a cream of the crop can for your pistols and a dedicated can for the SMG later.

Your 9mm SBR, is that going to be a AR15 platform?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  9. r2kba

r2kba Relax

Yeah I agree to buy two separate cans. One designed specifically for the SMG, one for pistols.

10. chemcmndr

chemcmndr

I've currently got the paperwork at the ATF for an MP5 platform SBR (MKE AT-94K) that I was going to potentially use the can on. The 9mm SMG would most likely be an Uzi. I would like a full auto MP5, but $17k is hard to come by and I can do most things with an MP5 clone SBR. I wouldn't be getting the SMG for several years, once I get student loans fully paid off and the money saved up.

11. Fireman1291

I would wait then. Plus alot of the FA guns come with suppressors in package deals. So youll still pay 2 stamps but you might get a better deal on the can as the seller is trying to offload both.

I say do weapon specific, youve got the bug now anyway.....nothing can stop you now. lol

12. r2kba

r2kba Relax

The MM9 is what you want. Multi platform system and you can still install a 3lug system on the SBR barrel and use the MM9 and take it off and use it on a pistol too with the LID.

13. Fireman1291

Yeah, since AAC hasnt released the damn 3-lug mount for the TiRant9...its "in the works" :rolls eyes: so we should see them sometime 2012.

14. chemcmndr

chemcmndr

What about a Yankee Hills 9mm pistol suppressor? I have a class 3 dealer locally that deals with them exclusively and would be able to get one for about $600.

15. r2kba

r2kba Relax

Never heard one. But for what its worth, my MM9 was only $500.

16. Fireman1291

I concur... $600 is WAY too high. I paid under $700 for my Osprey.

Contact Korey at Silentshooters.com and he'll hook you up with a good price on a can.

17. Bravo 1

Bravo 1 Serious Infidel CLM

Trident 9.

It is only 1-2 db quieter wet, hence it is awesome dry as opposed to most other pistol cans.

It HAS every thing you need in a 9mm can.

CS is absolutely top notch with SWR.

And F#@ck Gemtech for their damn Gemtax screwing they achieved for every suppressor owner in the USA.

I owned 2 GT cans before the Gemtax fiasco, and will never buy another one of their cans.

SWR and you will not go wrong and yes I own a Trident 9. I have raped it on an UZI,MP5,Sig 226 and Glock 17 with not disappointments.

Go ahead and register here http://nfatalk.org/forum/index.php and do some reading in the reviews to see what a real, privately owned Trident9 will meter.
    :wavey:

18. r2kba

r2kba Relax

It was already a violation for another MFG to destroy a can and make another one with the same serial number and makers info on the new tube.

The moral of the story is, dont believe everything you read on the 'innarnet and dont abuse your NFA devices.

________________________________________________________________________________________

SOURCE:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=993798&page=3

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  19. Bravo 1

Bravo 1 Serious Infidel CLM

That post doesn't really say anything. Kel is skirting around the entire issue if you notice.

WOW:wow:

I am shocked that after GT got that letter from the Tech branch of the NFA

AND NO OTHER COMPANY GOT ONE, which if you know anything about NFA will tell you that GT asked the question or made the complaint that required the Tech branch to make this arbitrary ruling.

Also, after the sh!!!!!t storm that GT raised by screwing all the U.S. suppressor owners, current or future,I would expect them to kick into PR mode.

Surely their sales suffered in the civilian world for sure due to their bull sh!!!t.

Bottom line, AAC was rebuilding crap GT cans and GT got pissed.

Granted AAC was walking a thin line, but just maybe GT should have started building high quality cans rather than the crap that people bought, mostly newbies in the Class 3 world because of certain stocking dealers, but no,,,,,they went crying to the NFA Tech Branch instead and created the situation today.

Now, you pop a serialized portion on your tube, you get to start all over rather than owning YOUR number and getting it rolled on a new tube.

AAC simply fixed fixed crap GT cans for 50% of retail. sounded pretty fair to me.

The OP can search for this saga and make his own conclusion.:whistling:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  20. Fireman1291

Let the **** storm begin....I do chuckle though, when i see a new NFA hobbist that brags about his newly purchased Outback2......much much better options but every newb think the OB2 is the best 22 can out there.

And I 2nd the SWR customer service, theyll stick with ya.