Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

Trench sight?

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by Robby6Pack, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Robby6Pack

Feb 23, 2010
    Norman, OK
    Does anyone have a Colt New Agent? What do you think of the Trench sight? I haven't even held one, let alone looked down the slide through the sight. Do you get the same picture as if you were looking through notch or v sights? Feedback please

Robby T
  2. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    I played with one at the gun shop but never shot it, so I don't really know if it were to work as well as advertised. When you look down the slide, it is like looking down a "trench". Probably work well at 10-yds or less.

3. 10-32

10-32 Here, hold this

Dec 16, 2005
    Under the radar
    I have one I bought at the Ft. Hood PX a few years back. It's a neat little gun, but I find that the recoil of that gun compared to my Kimber Ultra CDPII or Glock 30 is atrocious. Largely for that reason, I haven't shot it much.

It's no target pistol, that's for sure and the trench sight took a little getting used to for me. I think that for CCW, where you're most likely to be shooting at very close range, it would be fine. If you have any plans for it other than that, it may not be the best option IMO.

I have carried it in a IWB holster by HBE, and it concealed beautifully.
  4. ca survivor

ca survivor

Dec 25, 2011
    there was a gentleman at the LGS with one, ended up sending to have Novak's sights installed.
  5. Disregarded9-side

Disregarded9-side Armchair IPSCer

Oct 18, 2008
    North Carolina
    The trench sight is an awesome idea, and I personally think it's neat looking on carry 1911s. However, having used trench sights on two handguns yesterday, I have to admit they're terrible as far as functionality is concerned (YMMV, especially with training). For this shooter, I hesitate to say a trench sight would be any better than a nude barrel; maybe even worse.

FWIW, both handguns I shot with trench sights were revolvers. The semi-auto I shot a while back with a trench also didn't hit my intended targets.
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  6. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    Same experience and opinion here. Might be a decent CC gun with a Ct/laser grip IMO.
  7. MoFormula

Jul 8, 2010
    I have a New Agent and had a Defender previously. I shoot the trench well at 7 yards which is where I practice. It did take a couple of magazines to figure out the system. For me, it is about the ability to conceal. I have since added CT Lasergrips as a backup device much like adding night sights to a conventional sighting system.
  8. HexHead

Jul 16, 2009
    I had a New Agent, and it took a couple of magazines to adapt to the trench site. You don't look down the entire trench, basically just down the last inch or so down by the muzzle. The trench aids you in point shooting.

It's not a target pistol and you're not going to get one jagged hole. But it's a great defensive pistol at typical defensive distances.
  9. texmex

Nov 29, 2004
    Central Texas
    The trench sight works just as well for me as Bomar sights. Maybe it's because I shoot with both eyes closed.
  10. Shark1007

Jul 17, 2011
    I'll let you know in the late morning, loading mags tonight, range early.

Ouch, if not for the umpa loompa loader thing, I'd be crippled. It is nice to be such a 1911 nut that you can load 350 rounds up for the next day.
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  11. Shark1007

Jul 17, 2011
    Trench sight worked nicely as did the laser. It took a little getting used to, but for self defense distances, no problems.
  12. fran m

fran m

Mar 7, 2005
    drexel hill pa
    I wouldn't bother with it. I want some kind of post and notch, even if they are small. Seems like there are always a few for sale used on the forums. I don't know if the sights or lack thereof, are the reason for the sales. I wonder every time.
  13. Shark1007

Jul 17, 2011
    You have a point, the sights aren't for everyone I suppose. I did find myself looking for a post at times, but you can get used to them pretty easily. At ten yards, it was doing an eight inch group rapid fire without really looking at the sights.

The CT grips were a dream. At first I didn't think lasers were any good and counter intuitive, but, after using them a while on other pistols, I'm impressed!

The decision making on this pistol is concealability, weight, recoil and sights.