close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Trayvon Martin’s death was ‘ultimately avoidable’: Florida police report

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by snerd, May 19, 2012.

1. snerd

snerd

Apr 20, 2007
    Hmmmm......

Last edited: May 19, 2012
  2. RustyShackelford

RustyShackelford > OD Glock 32

Nov 12, 2008
    I bet almost any death (outside of illness, and sometimes then also) ultimately avoidable, lol.

3. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc MAJ (USA Ret.)

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    Everybody dies at least once. Sometimes earlier than necessary due to personal choices, or the choices of others.

I agree that trayvon could still be alive. Either Zimmerman or Trayvon, or possibly both are responsible for the way things turned out.

4. Gunboat1

Gunboat1 A.F.A.M.

Highly biased opinion in that piece of trash report. How do they know that Zimmerman didn't intend to simply converse with Martin, identify himself as neighborhood watch and ask him what he was doing? There's no evidence that any such conversation took place, though. First contact appears to have been when Trayvon instigated a beating of Zimmerman.

Bottom line: neighborhood watch has a right to exist. That neighborhood had been having burglary problems, perpetrated by black males. Zimmerman had a right to follow Trayvon, to observe his actions, and if he felt like it, to approach him and ask him if he belonged in the neighborhood. That is all completely legal and proper.

A suggestion "we don't need you to do that" (follow him) by a 911 dispatcher is not a binding order by any legal authority. Zimmerman would have been breaking no law if he had continued to follow Trayvon. Even so, the 911 tape seems to indicate that Zimmerman broke off his pursuit at that point anyway, and Martin circled back to attack HIM.

Thuglet Trayvon, on the other hand, did NOT have the right to attack Zimmerman for watching him, nor even for approaching him and asking him any questions (which the 911 tape shows no evidence of Zimmerman having done.) What the evidence seems to show is that Trayvon (complete with THC in his bloodstream indicating illegal drug use) took exception to a smaller lighter-skinned guy watching him, decided to feloniously assault him to register his displeasure, and got what he deserved when Zimmerman legally and properly defended himself with lethal force. There would be fewer violent crimes by predatory criminals if this happened a bit more often, frankly. You attack people, you get shot - period.

I think Zimmerman was totally justified. I hope he walks, and then sues numerous people and news organizations for millions.

5. Ruble Noon

Ruble Noon "Cracker"

Feb 18, 2009
    Yes, if guns were outlawed Trayvon would still be alive.

6. redbrd

redbrd

Sep 20, 2005
    Maybe but a lot of other folks wouldn't be, to include possibly Zimmerman.

7. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    That is a perfect example of how screwy this Country has become and how standards have slipped.

In my day, my shift commander would have hung me to a wall if I included such a blatant personal opinion in an official police report. It simply was not done. "just the facts, officer" and like it or not, someone, even a police officers opinion, is not a FACT. That is an officer making a judgement that is first up to the DA to decide should be made, and for a Court to make.

On top of that it is not an opinion based on the LAW but a moral opinion, it is sad that people cannot tell the difference anymore because we have so blurred the line between legal issues handled in criminal court and civil issues handled in civil court.

It is no wonder we have such a litiguous society when we have garbage like that interjected in police reports. That is also a reason that "stand your ground" laws have become popular. It is very simple "If you criminally assaul someone and they respond with deadly force, then you or your survivors can't make a penny in civil court, so don't go around assaulting people."

If I had ever handled a case that got this big and I had put a personal opinion like that in a report, my Chief would have flayed me alive and my skin would still be on the locker room wall as a warning to all. And the Sgt's skin would be there too for letting the report pass.

8. SPIN2010

SPIN2010 Searching ...

Mar 14, 2010
    On the move ... again!
    What! A police report that is biased? Say it ain't so Martha!

:rofl: First one to call the COPS wins!

9. Ruble Noon

Ruble Noon "Cracker"

Feb 18, 2009
    Yes, the point is that the report is nothing more than opinion. Police could look at any wreck in this country and state the opinion that if one of the drivers had left 30 seconds later the accident could have been avoided. The report is nothing more than an exercise in what if.
    What if Trayvon didn't have the munchies and stayed home instead of going to the 711?

10. Lethaltxn

Lethaltxn

Mar 23, 2010
    Texas
    Death is ultimately avoidable if you aren't born.

11. Ruble Noon

Ruble Noon "Cracker"

Feb 18, 2009
    If democrats weren't allowed to carry guns, Trayvon would still be alive.

12. ModGlock17

ModGlock17

Dec 18, 2010
    DisneyWorld
    Shakespearian response: Fate, is unavoidable.

A report should be a detailed collection of facts in chronological order. An editorial is an opinionated piece. The investigative officer forgot his training.

The standard low-liability CYA response from all 911 operators would be "Wait for the police." They would never say anything otherwise. The problem is that Reginal Denny never got help from the police soon enough... the mob got disinterested and left.

13. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc MAJ (USA Ret.)

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    Wait, but that would make marijuana the root cause. Impossible, as I've been told here many times that marijuana is completely harmless, and most likely beneficial.

14. oldman11

oldman11

Mar 1, 2012
    Texas
    Yep, that is what all the criminals are saying.

15. Snowman92D

Snowman92D

Oct 6, 2001
    Indianapolis
    :agree:

16. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

Sep 28, 2009
    Not engaged in any criminal activity?

Drugs are legal in FL now? What?

17. TDC20

TDC20

Apr 11, 2011
    I see zero difference between all of those saying "...if Zimmerman had just stayed in his car...." and "She deserved to be raped. Just look at the way she was dressed!"

Haven't we gotten past that as a society? Of course TM had every right to be in the neighborhood and wasn't breaking any laws. Of course GZ had every right to step out of his car and find out who TM was and what he was doing there, and wasn't breaking any laws. Up until the physical confrontation, there was no law broken on either party's behalf.

Stupid, illogical, irrational thinking. Can anyone still think rationally in this country? They obviously don't teach people how to do that in school anymore.

18. Mister_Beefy

Mister_Beefy Legal & Proper

Apr 19, 2011

also the reason why filming police has become more popular.

19. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    I'm really getting tired of this crap. Did Zimmerman approach Martin or did Martin approach Zimmerman? Pretty sure all the evidence is pointing to the latter. But regardless, who started the assault? Answer that question logically, and based on the evidence so far, and this case is over.

20. CAcop

CAcop

Jul 21, 2002
    California
    It was probably the report that was used to secure the warrant. Our reports for those puposes only can have officer's opinions in them. Typically it is a detective reviewing all of the reports and evidence collected and writing it up. The DA will often be consulted before writing this kind of report. It essentially bridges the gap between the more traditional, objective reports and the DA's filings in court.