Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

  • Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Travelling cross country firearms?

Discussion in 'US Navy Forum' started by bigtuna, Sep 1, 2006.

  1. bigtuna


    Mar 9, 2006
    I'm probably going to do my second drive cross-country from Virginia to California later this Fall when I move permanently to my home in Hawaii. (I totally enjoyed my last drive cross-country. Highly recommended!)

    This time I'll be going alone in my pick-up truck with my cat. My plan is to get a bed cap for my truck and camp out in the bed at night at camp sites along the way. I'll need to keep the back windows of the cap popped open at night for ventilation, so I'll be pretty exposed.

    My Toyota Tacoma and bed cap (same, except my truck is white):

    I have the firearms listed below my sig, and will also have an AR-15 by the time I make the trip.

    My firearms + an AR-15 coming soon:

    I currently have a Virginia CHP and have already passed the test and applied for my Utah CFP. I can carry concealed all the way up to Nevada. Nevada and California are the only states on my trip where I can't carry concealed.


    I can only check in two bag on the airline from California to Hawaii. One bag will be my cat in his kennel crate. The other bag will be my guns. The airline limits 3 guns per checked bag, so I can only pick 3 guns to go with me cross country. My first pick is the .357 Magnum, the G19, and the shotgun. Everything else (the G22, the Winchester rifle, and the AR-15) can be shipped ahead by my FFL dealer in Virginia.

    What guns would you take on this trip cross country, keeping in mind that I'll be sleeping at night in the bed of the truck?
  2. bigtuna


    Mar 9, 2006
    Ooops. Wrong forum, I think. Mods: please move this to Carry Issues, or whichever forum you think is most appropriate. Thanks.

  3. Bill Keith

    Bill Keith

    Jan 3, 2006
    Humble, TX
    I'm on the road again.... man oh man - do I envy you. Has your cat got good traveling manners? Will he walk on a leash? I had my Tom E. Cat that loved to ride in my truck and was a better companion than my first wife. As far as armament, I guess I'd take both Glocks along with the Shotty just because there is more ammo capacity than with taking the 357. May I suggest you find one of those Cubans that knows how to convert vehicles into boats, and retrofit the truck. You'd sure make history...first guy to 'drive' to Hawaii! Another idea is that there are a lot of folks here on GlockTalk that are good people. You might be able to find some overnight lodging with some of us on the way. Think it over and I'd be curious if some of the other readers would extend an invitation. I live here in the North Houston area...are you coming this far South?
  4. msoprano


    Jun 2, 2005
    I'd take the glock and the mossberg. I dont see the need for more. Good luck and have fun.
  5. +1
  6. CAcop


    Jul 21, 2002
    Aren't HI weapons laws pretty restrictive? I seem to remember they are almost as tight as CA. Be careful about what you bring in.

    As for the trip guns I would go with the shotgun for firepower, the small Glock for CCW, and the .357. Keep in mind when you get to CA you need to have 10 rounders only. Even though you owned the mags prior to the ban they weren't in state when it happened. You could always mail the higher capacity mags when you get to Reno. The shotgun and revolver have no problems. Forget about even bringing the AR into CA.

    BTW you can get a non resident NV permit. My wife wants to go to the class when we get a chance to go Reno again. She wants a permit to CCW mostly just because she can. They were offering CCW classes out of Sportmans' Warehouse as of February. I rember reading something about how they are no longer offering the classes here online but I don't know if that was all locations or just one in another state. Even if they don't I am sure someone knows who can give you the training. It might be a fun thing to do on your trip.

    I think even in CA your camper shell with bed would be considered a home rather than a car since you have a bed in there BUT call CA DOJ or the AG office to see what they understand the law to be. We had to do that a few years back just to see if there was a police officer's exemption to the switchblade law since a lot of guys were buying them from a police supply store. And no we are not exempt so a lot of guys were bummed they dropped over 100 clams on a Benchmade they can't use.

    Enjoy your time in CA and be glad you are leaving.