close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Trapping pics

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by nyredneck, Jun 19, 2010.

1. nyredneck

nyredneck كا&

Oct 22, 2002
    N43 07.671 W75 17.747
    So everyone shares thier hunting pics, I was wondering if anyone hade any trapping pics. Here's a few of mine

[​IMG]
    male yote
    [​IMG]
    big male fisher

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  2. nyredneck

nyredneck كا&

Oct 22, 2002
    N43 07.671 W75 17.747
    [​IMG]
    Male pine marten, I had this one mounted

[​IMG]
    Was supposed to be an otter!!

[​IMG]
    Male yote

[​IMG]
    Female yote

[​IMG]
    female yote
    [​IMG]
    male yote

3. Jonesee

Jonesee

Apr 16, 2009
    That Pine Marten is in a conibear trap. Where I am from that is highly illegal. A conibear must be submerged. We only used them for beaver. I read the New York laws ans it looks like you can use a conibear on land if it is less than 7.5"...

4. nyredneck

nyredneck كا&

Oct 22, 2002
    N43 07.671 W75 17.747

That is correct. For fisher and marten we almost exclusivley use 220 connibears on a leaning pole set. They must be at least 4' off of the ground.
    where do you trap?

5. Jonesee

Jonesee

Apr 16, 2009
    I don't anymore. I grew up trapping in Missouri and then Colorado.

6. jhayesvw

jhayesvw

Jun 2, 2009
    Tucson AZ
    awesome Yote pics!!
    i just got into hunting and live in AZ.
    im going after coyote. Yours are HUGE!
    the coyote here are about 25lbs give or take.
    some get up to 35lbs. there isnt much to eat here so they stay fairly thin, but yours look like 45lbs or more!!
    great pelts!

carry on.

7. n0vember

n0vember germanolicious

Dec 1, 2008
    Germany.
    I do not like traps that don't kill instantly or trap the animal without hurting it. how often do you check your traps?

8. nyredneck

nyredneck كا&

Oct 22, 2002
    N43 07.671 W75 17.747
    depends on the area I'm trapping, but it's either every 24 or 48 hours as required by New York State game law.

And leg traps aren't designed to "hurt" the animal, just hold them. I can stick my hand into any of my traps, and sure, some may sting like the dickens when they slap on, but they will not break any bones. I'm not saying that some animals that try to escape the trap don't injure themselves, it happens, but so do bad shots while hunting.

You can see in most of the pics that the animals don't have broken legs or bloody stumps. Most of the time they struggle for a little bit and when they figure out they can't escape, just lay down and wait.

In the grand scheme of things letting nature take its course is a much crueller fate to any animal, whether it be by disease, starvation or predation.

My Father has taught me to trap, hunt and fish from the day I was born. It's part of my heritage and I am doing the same with my sons.

9. LAWDOGKMS

LAWDOGKMS

Jun 11, 2001
    TX
    Ok, just speaking off the top of my head, as a guy that has done quite a bit of hunting, and killed a number of coyotes, I find the pic of the trapped coyote sad..

I could not be a trapper...

10. nyredneck

nyredneck كا&

Oct 22, 2002
    N43 07.671 W75 17.747

to each thier own.:wavey:

11. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

Apr 5, 1999
    Central Florida
    When I was younger I ran my trap line twice a day
    Regards
    DW

12. Jonesee

Jonesee

Apr 16, 2009
    That had to be a very short trap line. No more than 1-2 miles I would guess.

13. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Aug 16, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    NY/New England Yotes are MUCH bigger than their western "cousins." They came up over the Great Lakes and interbred with wolves. Packs of Northeastern Coyotes can take down deer - and do it often.

They can also take down most dogs and/or small children. I concur the pix are sad, but those suckers aren't good for us around here.

14. I got to agree. I'm not against trapping, but the first picture of that yote in the trap kinda tugged at my heartstrings. It's only the pictures of the yotes in the trap that get to me too. Maybe it's just because they look so much like a dog.

15. nyredneck

nyredneck كا&

Oct 22, 2002
    N43 07.671 W75 17.747

Yeah, they do look like dogs and will even bark like dogs when you walk up on them. But man they turn nasty real fast!!

In my area they are seriously overpopulating due to the decrease in people trapping them. I had a couple mangy ones last season that definately would not have made it through the winter, that was really sad! I put them down and buried the carcasses.

We also have a problem with rabid racoons and skunks and you can trace the spread right back to the decline of the fur prices.

I know everyone has been supportive in this thread so far :)thumbsup:) but have also stated that they, themselves couldn't be a trapper. I can appreciate that, but in this day of urban sprawl where the line between rural and suburban is often just a few blocks we need trappers now more than ever.

Again I want to thank all the posters for respecting my way of life as I respect yours. If only all conversations about trapping and hunting could be so civil!!:supergrin:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  16. nyredneck

nyredneck كا&

Oct 22, 2002
    N43 07.671 W75 17.747
    Very true!:thumbsup:

I've had more than one ex-pet owner call me and ask me to "kill 'em all!!" after 'ol fido was taken out by a pack of yotes!!

17. My brother lives in Nevada on the edge of town. He has a 5' fence around his yard and 3 large black labs. He still often sees yotes on the other side of his fence. He had a new neighbor (NN) build a house behind him, NN's wife has 2 wiener dogs and no fenced yard. My brother tried telling them that letting the dogs out at night was not a good idea, but NN didn't listen. NN has lost 2 weiner dogs and bought 2 more to replace them. But now NN sits on the back deck with his .30-06 when he lets the dogs out. :rofl:

As far as being civil about trapping, My work schedule doesn't allow me the time to run a trap line and I don't have land nearby to run it on. That's what really prevents me from being a trapper. I also fully support trapping because the majority of people that are against trapping are also against hunting so hunters and trappers need to support each other as much as possible.

18. Nice photos. Never learned to trap or know much about the subject but find it interesting. How do you dispatch them? I have heard of using a 22 or clubbing them? Esox357.

19. Ranger.357

Ranger.357 NRA Member

Aug 22, 2007
    WA State
    Killing them is one thing, but letting them suffer is another entirely. When I was a young boy my neighbor called in a state trapper and my collie wound up in one of his traps. He was gone a week before my dad found him still in the trap. His foot was hanging on by only the skin. I can't even begin to imagine the pain he went through. I hate traps. But like you said, "To each their own.":dunno:

20. nyredneck

nyredneck كا&

Oct 22, 2002
    N43 07.671 W75 17.747
    Some traps, like the connibear, kill them. But when I have to dispatch them I use my trusty 'ol Jennings J-22. I use 22 lr, but people like my Father-in-law insist on using 22 shorts. Either way one right between the eyes usually does the trick and if they need another the second one right behind the ear does it.