close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Training a hunting dog

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by RMTactical, Jan 9, 2005.

1. RMTactical

RMTactical www.AR15pro.net CLM

Oct 7, 2000
    Behind an AR-15
    I want to train my Cur to help me hunt chukar and quail and such. What is the best way to go about this?

2. ucsdryder

ucsdryder

May 24, 2004
    California
    Cur?

Do yourself a huge favor and buy yourself the book Gun Dog, by Richard Walters. It has everything you need. If you can't read, or don't like to, I think there is also a DVD version. Do a search on google.

GM

3. RMTactical

Oct 7, 2000
    Behind an AR-15
    Black Mouth Cur, same dog as old yeller.

Thanks!

4. Hoingshiba

Hoingshiba willhunt4food

Sep 16, 2003
    Yakima, Wa
    I cant wait till i get a place and can get a couple hunting dogs. It kills me to lose birds, and it unfortunately happens too much.

GoreLicks - I love the avatar...Gosh!

5. RMTactical

Oct 7, 2000
    Behind an AR-15
    ;)

Yeah, I just got this BMC, he is a good dog and should be a great hunting dog. I am considering getting a chocolate lab as well. Do you think they would work good together or should I get dogs of the same breed?

6. USPcompact

USPcompact

Feb 28, 2004
    North Carolina
    Do yourself a favor and get this book/DVD. The DVD's are an updated version of the book, and are a nice supplement to the info that the book presents. "Game Dog" is also very well done, as is "Water Dog."

7. Glockerel

Glockerel Got Mojo?

The dogs should get along fine as long as one is brought in as a pup- preferable the lab. Curs are good dogs, but can be one owner type dogs. If you introduce an amiable, eager to please breed like a lab, the cur will have no huge dominance issues over a happy pup- it'll settle itself very quickly.

I've had chocolates all my life and find them to be wonderful dogs for pets and for hunting.

Try www.lab-retriever.net for a great site on all things lab.