close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Trailer wiring question...

Discussion in 'Car Forum' started by StockGlock23, Jun 1, 2006.

1. StockGlock23

StockGlock23 Hilarious!

Aug 10, 2004
    Bremen, IN
    I am putting a 7 way plug on my 1997 Suburban and I have a question about some "extra" wires that exist. I have 5 of the 7 wires properly wired and all of them check out via test light and volt meter.

There are 2 wires that remain and I do not have anything to wire them to. One wire is labeled "Auxilary power source" and the other is labeled "Electronic brakes". The trailers I use, one is a standard 4 prong plug (3 prongs plus ground), the other is a tandem axle bass boat trailer that has hydraulic brakes and has a 5 prong plug (4 plugs plus ground) that is ran into a plug/socket that goes into the 7 way.

Are electronic brakes those devises that people have mounted in the cab of their trucks to assist in braking? If so I don't have that and what do I do with this wire? Do I just cap it and tuck it way. Same goes for the Aux. Power Source. I don't have this on my truck (that I am aware of) and so do I do just the same and cap it and tuck it away? Thanks for your help!

2. HAVOC

HAVOC Remember Millennium Member CLM

Jun 20, 1999
    You're putting on a 7-point connector so you can use a 7/5 adapter and a 7/4 adapter? If the trailers aren't expecting to see power on those 2 wires, then yes, you can ignore them. Put a wirenut on them then tape the wirenut on nice and securely. Just remember if you ever do use a trailer that comes with a 7 point connector, that you have 2 dead holes, and you might need to do some rewiring before you go anywhere.