close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Trail Boss for .45 ACP load

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Stupid, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Stupid

Stupid
    Expand Collapse

Does anybody use Trail Boss for .45 ACP 230GR RN? What's the weight of the powder you use?

I've been using 5.5 gr but I see IMR site is saying 4.5 gr for 15,000 CUP pressure. I am wondering if it's too high. This is for a 3 inch 1911 pistol.

Would you guys think it's still safe to use 5.5 gr?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 Stupid, Jun 8, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  2. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

Regardless of the bbl length, that is quite a bit over the recommended load. Uberfast powders hit pressure peaks very quickly & then go vertical. At 15Kcup, you are fine, but 22% more powder could mean a lot more than 22% pressure increase. TB is faster still than WST & 5.5gr would be well into +P w/ a 230grLRN.
    I would be very careful over 4.5gr, you have a little room but not much. Can you get 5.5gr into a 45acp case w/o compression? Your OAL will be very critical as you go over 4.5gr.

#2 fredj338, Jun 8, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  3. Stupid

Stupid
    Expand Collapse

The pressure limit for .45 is 21000 psi which translates to 25660 CUP. So technically, there's 10000 CUP to go.

4. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

As far as I know, there is no direct PSI to CUP relationship. You are free to continue loading what you want, & dismiss that TB is faster than other powders showing smaller charges as reaching max pressures, but you did ask & you got a response. The diff between 15Kcup & 21Kcup is pretty small on the pressure curve.:dunno:
    http://www.lasc.us/SAAMIMaxPressure.htm

#4 fredj338, Jun 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  5. BigDog[RE]

BigDog[RE]
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Member

Is that a compressed load?

6. coachg

coachg
    Expand Collapse

One of the cautions with Trail Boss is not to compress. Doing so could alter the burn characteristics. It's really meant for soft shooting loads where you want to fill most of the case for safety reasons.

I like it for soft 357 loads because it's very easy to verify by it's volume and light color. Like shooting 38 special without using 38 brass.

Listed below is a formula to use from the Hodgson website if there is no data available. Interesting.

Listed below we show a few examples of such loads throughout the Reloading Data Center, but the fun doesn't stop there. If you don't see Trail Boss data for your favorite cartridge we have a formula for developing loads for all cartridges and it's simple to follow. This formula may be used in both rifle and pistol applications:
    1) Find where the base of the bullet to be loaded is located in the case and make a mark on the outside of the case at this location. Then fill the case to that mark with Trail Boss, pour into the scale pan and weigh. This is your maximum load. Pressures will be below the maximum allowed for this cartridge and perfectly safe to use!
    2) Take 70% of this powder charge weight (multiply the maximum load from step 1 by .7), and that is your starting load.
    3) Start with this beginning load and work up to your maximum charge, all the while searching for the most accurate reduced load. Once found, the fun begins!

#6 coachg, Jun 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  7. MoNsTeR

MoNsTeR
    Expand Collapse

5.5gr fits? 4.5gr barely fits under a 125gr in a cavernous .38 Special case. I would have assumed Trail Boss was totally unusable in .45 ACP.

At any rate, Hodgdon/IMR claims that as long as you do not compress it, you cannot fit enough Trail Boss in any cartridge to be dangerous. They literally recommend loading by volume, between 70% and 100% of what will fit without compressing. It seems crazy, but this is a very unique powder.

8. coachg

coachg
    Expand Collapse

I tested the 45 case with a 200 gr LSWC and could only fit 4.3 gr when I filled it to the seating depth of the bullet. In a 357 case with a 158 gr LSWC, I could fit just over 5 gr.

I've been shooting the 357 with 4.2 gr. Nice load.