close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Trail Boss and 45 ACP

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by G36_Me, Sep 29, 2011.

1. G36_Me

G36_Me

Aug 4, 2009
    based upon reading another thread which talked about Trail Boss and the 45 auto load...

I went to the mfg web site, got the formula and loaded some up last night. Used 230gr LRN and used mid-point powder load between their reco'd min and max amount of powder.

Shot 50 of them at the range today with no issues.

I don't remember the smell being so strong with my .38 Spl snow flake loads, but there is a distinct odor with the .45

In summary, they went bang, cycled the gun well, and were accurate for my purposes.

2. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    Good to know, but IMO, the point of TB is to fill a large case when shooting light lead loads. The 45acp doesn't need it, but it proves you can get any powder to work in any cartridge.

3. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    Fairly fast burning. I wouldn't push it too hard, but it doesn't surprise me it works for light loads.

4. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven Señor Mombo Millennium Member

Aug 8, 1999
    Great Southwest
    Yeah, strong ammonia smell with TB. I was shooting it in my '73 (38-40) at a Wild Bunch competition last week and noticed that smell every time it got to the rifle. Burns very clean, however.

I am with others here who suggest TB is not the best choice for .45 acp. Also, it's not the least expensive by a wide margin.

5. G36_Me

G36_Me

Aug 4, 2009
    Agree with all the comments and appreciate the advice.
    Probably won't do this again as I'm a Bullseye and 231 guy for my 45 Auto. [no offense to the Unique people]

It's in my back pocket for a rainy day, like a few years ago, when there was no Bullseye and 231 on the shelf.

6. TonyT

TonyT

Mar 14, 2009
    A felow shooter uses 3.5 gr. Trail Boss with a 230 gr. lead bullet in his old Colt Gold Cup with a 10 lb recoil spring. I swear you can almost see the bullet travelling to the target. It's a great load for steel challenge, very mild and accurate.