close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Trail Boss and 45 ACP

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by G36_Me, Sep 29, 2011.

1. G36_Me

G36_Me
    Expand Collapse

based upon reading another thread which talked about Trail Boss and the 45 auto load...

I went to the mfg web site, got the formula and loaded some up last night. Used 230gr LRN and used mid-point powder load between their reco'd min and max amount of powder.

Shot 50 of them at the range today with no issues.

I don't remember the smell being so strong with my .38 Spl snow flake loads, but there is a distinct odor with the .45

In summary, they went bang, cycled the gun well, and were accurate for my purposes.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD
    Expand Collapse

Just never compress Trail Boss.

3. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

Good to know, but IMO, the point of TB is to fill a large case when shooting light lead loads. The 45acp doesn't need it, but it proves you can get any powder to work in any cartridge.

4. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve
    Expand Collapse
    Decap Pin Killa

Fairly fast burning. I wouldn't push it too hard, but it doesn't surprise me it works for light loads.

5. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven
    Expand Collapse
    Señor Mombo
    Millennium Member

Yeah, strong ammonia smell with TB. I was shooting it in my '73 (38-40) at a Wild Bunch competition last week and noticed that smell every time it got to the rifle. Burns very clean, however.

I am with others here who suggest TB is not the best choice for .45 acp. Also, it's not the least expensive by a wide margin.

6. G36_Me

G36_Me
    Expand Collapse

Agree with all the comments and appreciate the advice.
    Probably won't do this again as I'm a Bullseye and 231 guy for my 45 Auto. [no offense to the Unique people]

It's in my back pocket for a rainy day, like a few years ago, when there was no Bullseye and 231 on the shelf.

7. TonyT

TonyT
    Expand Collapse

A felow shooter uses 3.5 gr. Trail Boss with a 230 gr. lead bullet in his old Colt Gold Cup with a 10 lb recoil spring. I swear you can almost see the bullet travelling to the target. It's a great load for steel challenge, very mild and accurate.