close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

traffic stop question

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Keeperofthedew, Jun 22, 2013.

1. So I drive an older two door car and the driver's side window doesn't work. How do I deal with that on a traffic stop?
    Normally I'd have the dome light on, my hands on the wheel with DL etc. in them, the window down and the car off by the time the officer approaches, but I don't think it would be the best idea to just pop the door open as the officer approaches.
    Ideas? Suggestions?
    Thanks.

2. blueiron

blueiron

Aug 10, 2004
    If the window doesn't work, simply tell the officer that at the time of the stop. It is simple enough to adapt.

3. rockapede

rockapede

Sep 3, 2009
    You're on to something there. Popping the door open on me unexpectedly is bad ju-ju. Happens often enough that I'm "used" to it and don't over-react, but I often use my big boy voice and customers occasionally think it's "mean".

Just tell the officer through the window when he arrives at your door.

4. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

Sep 16, 2009
    NW Burbs
    This. And for the love of all that is holy, stay in the damn car, unless instructed to do otherwise. It absolutely boggles my mind how many people want to step out and do God knows what while I'm writing their ticket, and then get 6 kinds of butt hurt when I go into authoritarian mode with them. Sigh...

5. RyanNREMTP

RyanNREMTP Inactive/Banned

Jun 16, 2007
    Waco, Texas
    Just put a note on the window for the officer that says if you roll down the window the Earth will explode. The officer should tip his hat and say "Good day sir" and walk back to his car.

Or you can just follow what the others have offered.

6. Most of the guys I work with approach on the passenger side anyway.

7. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Best to carry a note with words written in big sized letters and hold it up with both hands and yell to the officer the window is busted just in case he can't hear you. Open the passenger window before the officer gets there. Turn on all interior lights.

Keep it simple. "WINDOW BROKEN, CAN'T OPEN!"

Then await instructions... some might disagree but never hurts to be prepared in advance just in case you get pulled over on a highway or where it's noisy and the officer can't hear you as you yell and gesticulate wildly.

8. ditchdoc24

ditchdoc24

Jan 15, 2009
    Georgia
    This is what I do. Freaks people out especially since I almost always work at night.:supergrin:

9. lovetofly08

lovetofly08

Jan 11, 2011
    Arkansas/Texas

This! I can't agree more. If you do have to open the door don't get upset when things start to get aggressive. Once the officer knows let him tell you what to do.
    I had one the other night that kept tryin to exit the vehicle after being instructed very firmly to stay in the vehicle at least 4 time. He became compliant really fast when he looked back and saw I meant it. :wow:

10. It catches them off guard, which is always good for us in terms of staying alive.

11. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Too simple and logically. Will never work in real world.:whistling:

12. smokeross

smokeross GTDS Member #49

May 15, 2011
    Alaska
    Just point towards the top of the window with your longest finger. The cop will get it open for you.

13. Same here. The first time I saw a right side contact, I was driving through California on vacation (early 1980's) and I saw a CHP officer making a right side contact... I thought that was a damn good idea and I started doing it that way.

An inoperable window isn't a big deal, I usually open the door for them so we can talk.

14. Ohio Cop

Ohio Cop

Mar 1, 2012
    The Rust Belt.
    It is his God given right to have a broken window!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

15. ditchdoc24

ditchdoc24

Jan 15, 2009
    Georgia
    I love it when folks open the door for me. Gives me a nice view into the vehicle.

16. bigdogmurph

bigdogmurph Lifetime Member

Feb 19, 2010
    hardy va.
    :rofl: No I am not LEO. But I enjoy a good laugh. Stay safe officers. :wavey:

17. jpa

jpa CLM

May 28, 2001
    Las Vegas NV
    Until you stop the one car that's bare bones and has manual windows and the driver can't reach to roll it down...

18. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Make him.

19. jpa

jpa CLM

May 28, 2001
    Las Vegas NV
    What if he has stumpy T-rex arms?

[​IMG]