close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Traded in my scooter

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Eurodriver, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Eurodriver

Eurodriver

Sep 11, 2010
    Baby steps. I rode my last bike for a month before I even bought a helmet.

Then I rode in flip flops and shorts.

I know I'm not all the way yet, but progress is being made. What kind of pants do you recommend?

2. Eurodriver

Eurodriver

Sep 11, 2010
    I'll look into all of that, the suspension especially. Thanks.

3. bigmac85

bigmac85

Feb 24, 2012
    Tulsa
    Is that the modell equipped with the abs braking system?

ETA: get your suspension set up for your weight /riding style like others have mentioned, it makes a night day difference. Have fun and be safe.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  4. berto62

berto62

Mar 28, 2009
    Alachua Fl
    Check out this school. They have classes in both Bradenton and Lakeland.

http://www.totalridertech.com/index.html

5. Sharkey

Sharkey

Nov 21, 2006
    DFW, TX
    Gay heat shield? The pillion won't be too happy. I run cortech bags on my 919 and they lay on the heat shield

6. sappy13

sappy13

Sep 30, 2007
    Bremen, GA
    Sometimes riding pants just arent practical. Im all for wearing gear, and I have riding pants that I have worn plenty of times for highway or interstate riding, but for riding around town they dont get pulled out. I feel like very few people on here with motorcycles wear riding pants EVERY time they take a spin on their bike.

7. I like draggin Jeans they are Kevlar lined and warm as the PNW can get pretty cold.
    Most of the time I wear these. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Carhartt-Double-Front-Logger-Dungaree/dp/B002G9U468/ref=pd_sbs_sg_4"]Amazon.com: Carhartt Men's Double Front Logger Dungaree: Clothing@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Map8CV4jL.@@AMEPARAM@@41Map8CV4jL[/ame]

They are reasonable as far as price and the double front gives added protection. I personally don't like to do the biker look. I wear a textile jacket, jeans, boots and helmet with gloves. The helmet I like to the bike and I put the gloves and jacket in a tail bag. They make some nice rear seat bags if you don't ride with a pillion
    as well.

Sent via Messenger Pigeon

8. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    For regular tooting around, jeans/khakis are fine.

For more aggressive riding (i.e. planned ahead rides), wear heavier protective clothings like leather jacket & pants or heavy cordura jacket & pants.

9. M&P Shooter

M&P Shooter Metal Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Phila, PA
    Next thing you know this guy will be shaving:supergrin:

10. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud1tmTJNsk0&list=FLJnDMFNNgegp344X2I1jLCA&index=2&feature=plpp_video[/ame]

the video said they lived or I wouldn't have posted it here:wavey:

11. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    The video lied, possibly to get around some posting rules. Paramedicas don't leave live people hanging by their head while they take pictures. His name was Brandon Lee White from Broken Arrow, OK. He's definitely dead.

His family hopes his death will put greater emphasis on helmet laws...??? :dunno: Maybe they think wearing 2 helmets would have helped him.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  12. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

I don't think the helmet made any difference at 120mph,but still sorry to hear he died:wavey:

13. Clutch Cargo

Clutch Cargo Amsterdam Haze

Nov 29, 2010
    DFW
    You traded your scoot for...another?

14. Eurodriver

Eurodriver

Sep 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just want some black shorty levers and a black double bubble windscreen, then it will be complete.

15. kensb2

kensb2 pistol n00b

Mar 19, 2012
    Apache, OK
    How long have you been out of the Marines? I don't ride a bike, but from my time on AD, even I know exactly what gear the Army expects you to wear (for safety) when riding because of all the posters and crap plastered all over the place. Maybe the Marines just aren't as anal about that stuff?

16. tshadow6

tshadow6

Jan 6, 2007
    Congratulations on your motorcycle. The next piece of gear you need is specialized riding pants. A pair of Sliders will save your bacon in a crash. I wear Sliders cargo pants. They have Kevlar for protection from the hips to below the knees. Do you wear gloves? Gloves are another important piece of equipment.

17. Eurodriver

Eurodriver

Sep 11, 2010
    No, they definitely are. That's why I never had a bike while I was in. How can you drive your bike to batallion PT if you need to show up like you're dressed for war?

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

18. Eurodriver

Eurodriver

Sep 11, 2010
    Ironically I started off wearing no gear. Just a shirt and flip flops. Now I don't leave home without gloves boots a helmet a jacket with armor etc.

But I'm still lacking pants. Most pants I've seen look STUPID. Sliders you say? I'll look into them

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

19. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    Look at Cortech riding jeans or cargo pants too. AlpineStar also has riding pants. However, these are no more than slightly heavier pants than typical dress pants with some reinforced leather/kevlar pannels.

Draggin Jeans are the best and most expensive (most uncomfortable too because of all the kevlar panels sewn into them). There's a French outfit that also makes some seriously mean riding jeans that are leather-like in crash resistance but not cheap at about $500 a pop.

20. kensb2

kensb2 pistol n00b

Mar 19, 2012
    Apache, OK
    Most guys would wear their full PT gear w/boots, then strip down depending on the weather and put their sneakers on. Usually wore a small backpack to store the extra clothes. I agree, it always (and still does) seem like a huge pain in the arse. I still work on a military post, and a lot of the people I work with refuse to ride to work because the restrictions are the same for all.